These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Just can't seem to get a great tone out of my HD500
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-14 06:53:49

I have tried everything.

I am looking for some help to get some great tones from my HD500, everything I try just doesn't get the Uber model sounding like it should and the Engl doesn't sound right either.  I want killer metal and djent tones.

I have used the PRE models in studio direct mode when plugging into one of these:

gramophoneLarge.jpg

I have tried using the full amp models  using Combo Front into one of these:

cans.jpg

But I decided to update my gear and got one of these:

Smokey-Amp-Clear.jpg

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

If someone is using the same amp gear as me, could you please post some patches that will give me killer tone?

Oh, I am playing one of these with the illustrated pickups installed.  I would like to hear from others using the same gear for metal tones.

GTSUK13.jpgemgZWset.jpg

Cheers,

Crusty

Re: Just can't seem to get a great tone out of my HD500
by talbotpat on 2011-01-14 06:58:19

I was finally able to get up off of the floor to reply to this...exactly what I needed on a Friday.  I know we can always count on you Crusty. 

by phil_m on 2011-01-14 07:03:11

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? 

by thegreatoz on 2011-01-14 07:07:46

Jeeze you had me going there, I was thinking "if Crusty can't get a tone what hope have *I* got"? LOL

by whiteop on 2011-01-14 07:12:24

I think what Crusty is really saying is he's tired of hearing the same old complaints...;)

surprised he didn't throw in some pics of some $99 Crate amps there...lol

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-14 07:15:56

whiteop wrote:

I think what Crusty is really saying is he's tired of hearing the same old complaints...;)

You reckon?

by ghanson2 on 2011-01-14 07:35:18

Check the cabling.  It ALWAYS comes down to a bad cable.  The rest of your gear seems quite sound (although I would consider upgrading the speaker in you amp to a better 2" with a hemp cone.  Also, make sure to use a good quality Stainless Steel string set (8-35) with a metal pick (tungsten, preferably )

by Santuzzo on 2011-01-14 07:55:03

Very funny !

I almost laughed.......

Ever considered a career as a comedian?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-14 09:34:01

Santuzzo wrote:

Very funny !

I almost laughed.......

Ever considered a career as a comedian?

Please don't encourage him   I've often said he should be on the stage.  In fact there's one leaving in ten minutes.......

Ba-boom! Tish!

Eye thenk you

by Mrwonka on 2011-01-14 11:26:02

join the club brah.  Your not the only one.  Pre patch I had a couple decent metal tones, now there complete trash.

by timowens on 2011-01-14 11:35:19

Don't you know, tone is in the fingers!

by JB1973 on 2011-01-14 11:41:58

You look like you have invested some serious time and money into your equipment and learning it, and what it really boils down

to is....environment.

acoustics are everything bud, I am sorry to say but if you are playing in a acoustically dead room even hendrix through a 1" speaker

would sound bad.

Try investing in one of these, I think you'll find your sound much improves!

box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg

by PremiumJones on 2011-01-14 11:58:57

I see your problem.

What you need to do is put a Metal Zone model (Heavy Distortion) before the Uber, then boost the POD with an actual Metal Zone.

Youll be djenty in no time.

by lowsco on 2011-01-14 12:20:50

Don't know what your problem is. If you can't get a decent tone out of that sort of gear you should probably ask yourself if guitar is the right instrument for you. I think you're spoiled, others would give an arm and a leg for that equipment. Having said that, I'm not quite sure about that second picture, looks almost like 2 tin cans with a string, ....what's that good for?

Cheers,

Ralph

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-14 12:41:15

C'mon Ralph - you're slipping.  It's the reverb module obviously.  Haven't you been keeping up with today's NAMM releases?  The longer the string the greater the reverb.  The wetter the string, the less pre-delay there is.  The thickness of the metal on the  tins transducers (Hey, they do look a bit like Heinz bean cans now you mention it... - Y'don't think?..... Nah! Of ourse they wouldn't....would they??? Forget I mentioned it....) affects the overall reverb tone .

by lowsco on 2011-01-14 12:59:34

Alright Nick, I take your word for it, I just hope you're not making this up. ...still looks like 2 tin cans with a string to me.

But then, ..what do I know?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-14 13:11:42

Who's the Expert? Of course I'm not making it up.  Whatever gave you that idea ?  

by lowsco on 2011-01-14 13:29:44

OK, I give you that and I'm buying that reverb story, but I just had a look at those pics again and I'm struggling to believe that that first picture shows a HD500. I'm now almost certain that you guys are just trying to wind us up. I had a very good second look and this is not a HD500, unless it's a very early beta version, I'd say it's some old black trumpet nailed to a piece of plywood. What's wrong here, ...are you guys crazy?

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-14 16:07:16

There's nothing wrong with the POD HD500, others have checked it with their gear and it sounds awesome.  I'm just trying to work out why it doesn't sound that good as part of my rig which consists of the gear illustrated in the original post.

I'm not sure about the version of Line 6 Monkey that I'm using.  It seems to be messing with my gear.

uke-monk.jpg

Cheers,

Crusty

by geriatric on 2011-01-14 18:37:29

If any portion of your gear was submerged in the Queensland floods your tone will be substantially"muddied".  If so, use one of these

Hot-Water-High-Pressure-Cleaner-l.jpg

After that you should be good to go.

by Trevor_Arthurson on 2011-01-14 19:43:29

That will certainly deliver good clean tones.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-15 06:16:11

I need something for monitoring when recording and playing without disturbing the neighbours.

I've read posts mentioning Sony MDR 7506 and Senheiser brand equipment.  But I want something that can keep up with the high standards I expect from my gear.  So I have added a pair of these to my studio.

ear-horn-bakelite-2-piece-101.jpg

Cheers,

Crusty

by desso on 2011-01-15 06:36:53

Just don't make me break into "My Heart Bleeds Peanut Butter For You"

On one of these!

small_violin.jpg

by desso on 2011-01-15 06:46:02

Throwin' a small sidetrack into a really funny and great thread (thanks, Crusty! - I'm glad someone lightened up the tonemoan); here is THE KEY to my tone.  The one on the left was the size of the one on the right MANY MANY years ago.  I still use it exclusively on electric guitar.  I'm able to get great pinch harmonics and many other picking techniques with it.  I don't think I'd take a hundred bucks for it.  Heck, I KNOW I wouldn't.  I'm just afraid one of the cats is gonna grab it one day and head out of my studio with it!

picks.jpg

by amgamg on 2011-01-15 08:44:33

campbellschunky.jpgWhile your rig is slammin'  your cans are wrong..need more chunk...try a couple of these...

by amgamg on 2011-01-15 08:50:06

Also..just like that old guy with the cool room of amps on youtube suggested...try a "CAT HAT"!

cat_hat.jpg

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-17 02:08:29

JB1973 wrote:

You look like you have invested some serious time and money into your equipment and learning it, and what it really boils down

to is....environment.

acoustics are everything bud, I am sorry to say but if you are playing in a acoustically dead room even hendrix through a 1" speaker

would sound bad.

Try investing in one of these, I think you'll find your sound much improves!

box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg

Man, that made all the difference.

The tones are much more lively.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-17 02:11:32

PremiumJones wrote:

I see your problem.

What you need to do is put a Metal Zone model (Heavy Distortion) before the Uber, then boost the POD with an actual Metal Zone.

Youll be djenty in no time.

I even put a third Metal Zone into the FX Loop.

Now I'm plenty djenty.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-17 02:14:39

geriatric wrote:

If any portion of your gear was submerged in the Queensland floods your tone will be substantially"muddied".  If so, use one of these

Hot-Water-High-Pressure-Cleaner-l.jpg

After that you should be good to go.

That really cleaned up the tone and gave the metal tones more definition, much clearer 3rd order harmonics.

Thanks for the tip, but the sound booth is now a bit soggy and my Line 6 Monkey looks mighty p!ssed.

Cheers,

Crusty

How to get a great tone out of the HD500 - Points awarded!
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-17 02:16:24

Thanks everyone for jumping in and having some fun.

I really got a great laugh out of all your replies.

Let's do this again sometime.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Rowbi on 2011-01-17 02:36:28

desso wrote:

Throwin' a small sidetrack into a really funny and great thread (thanks, Crusty! - I'm glad someone lightened up the tonemoan); here is THE KEY to my tone.  The one on the left was the size of the one on the right MANY MANY years ago.  I still use it exclusively on electric guitar.  I'm able to get great pinch harmonics and many other picking techniques with it.  I don't think I'd take a hundred bucks for it.  Heck, I KNOW I wouldn't.  I'm just afraid one of the cats is gonna grab it one day and head out of my studio with it!

picks.jpg

good skills man... BUT maybe perfecting the pinch harmonics on regular = new picks may save your nerves when the cats start prowling

by Rowbi on 2011-01-17 02:39:29

Nice one Crusty.

hey you forgot to say your strings were so rusty that they looked like the colour of mud! ha ha

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-22 19:44:25

What about my rig??

DSC01123.jpg

NOW THIS IS FLAGSHIP  RIGHT HERE GUYS!!!

I've spent TONS of money and COUNTLESS hours getting this all to work WITHOUT and MIDI, SPDIF, or other Digital interfacing.  I think my sound is killer, and the batteries are NOT used up very fast in this extremely efficient Marshall half stack.  It does have a clean and distortion channel as well as the 2" speaker.

I'm thinking about the Refrigerator box for my sound room though.  I've got some old pillows my dog is finished with to pad that room with if needed.

Cheers,

Neal

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-23 02:26:26

Neal

I think I see the problem with your system.  The guitar, HD500 and amp all look fine, but the gig bag under the neck of your guitar is the wrong type and colour, and that will affect how it all sounds.  For that EVH sound the gig bag should really be a bit bigger and definitely brown.  I'm sure if you change that tiny detail, any problems you might be experiencing with the rig in the picture will diminish or even disappear

Otherwise, the rig looks super cool.  But seriously you need to take care of your back when lifting that amp.  Those amps look dinky and all but looks can be deceptive.  They are HEAVY that's for sure.  Perhaps casters, a hand truck or even a roadie or two would be in order

Perhaps a DT50 212 would be a somewhat lighter option.....

Nick

by amgamg on 2011-01-23 05:57:13

Your choice of amp is stellar....I actually have one of these...got it for free when I bought a 900 years ago...I've hooked up multiple distortion pedals... tried to kill it...no way.. tougher than nails...its taken no repairs after years of abuse..cant say that about it big brother

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-03 14:03:28

Please take a look at the entire thread if you didn't catch the original problems.

18 months have passed and I think I'm finally getting the hang of this this thing.

I just had to change what I was plugging the HD500 into.  It did mean swapping out some of my gear.  But now I need some help getting the volume under control.

This is my new setup.  Any suggestions on how to tame the volume?  The Line 6 Monkey is now happy but I can't say the same about the neighbours.

Group_photo.jpg

Cheers, 

Crusty

by TheRealZap on 2012-08-03 14:49:02

damn my gear suddenly feels pitful.

by geppert on 2012-08-03 15:36:24

Geezus Crusty ..... nice rig .... but where are the 4 x 12 cabs? ... I was woken up by some LOUD guitar playing the other night and now I realize it was YOU ..... and I live in Canada ...... lol !~!

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-03 19:32:07

Yeah, that was me.  Sorry.

Cheers,

Crusty

by geppert on 2012-08-03 19:54:21

Hey, I enjoyed it .... it was the neighbours who got bitchy ... lol !~!

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-05 04:31:40

They say that a JTV + HD500 + DT amp = Dream Rig. 

Does that make my rig an hallucination?

Cheers,

Crusty

by spikey on 2012-08-05 08:12:28

No Crusty, It just means you have lots of money to spend on things you like... More power to ya, but balancing that monster on your hip whiles playing 5 guitars at once must be a challenge.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-05 11:12:42

If Crusty had just wetted the string between those two cans then he would have saved an awful lot of money.

by TheRealZap on 2012-08-06 12:36:08

you can control 4 DT amps from one pod... which means one guitar would do the trip (or 1.5 if its a variax )

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.