These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Headphones to POD HD. ¿HI FI, Studio, open, closed...? Help me, please.
by usuario2545 on 2011-01-17 01:46:25

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a hd POD 500 and, although I have ESI NEAR 05 speakers also want a good headphones to use the POD without disturbing anyone. So far I have used Sennheiser HD 470 headphones with which sounds great, but do not know if these are the most appropriate. I think it is HI FI, open and completely covering the ear.

Looking online for a bit I've seen that there are many models (open, closed, pushing the ear, the plug completely, Hi-Fi, Studio, that isolate external sound, not ...). Here as there are experts on all these issues, Could you tell me what the best headphones to use the POD in the house?. What I want is to sound their best, to respect the maximum sound emulations, etc. (I'm not thinking at the moment to record, only to hear the best possible POD). I also wonder if some are more damaging to hearing than others, this is an issue that concerns me greatly.

I also wonder if some studio also apply to music or movies and vice versa and each model has advantages claimed for anything.

Could anyone help me?

I'll be very grateful and, incidentally, if I recommend a particular model. I can get to the hundred-odd euros.

Thanks.

Re: Headphones to POD HD. ¿HI FI, Studio, open, closed...? Help me, please.
by Rowbi on 2011-01-17 01:58:54

well just like monitors, there's no specific preferred models that Line 6 give.

you are best to read as many reviews as you can find, and then make your choice.

for me Sennheiser HD280Pro's work well.  as far as damaging your hearing... don't turn them up loud

Also I believe Line 6 usually state that headphones in the range 150-600ohms are preferred, so you may want to stay away from the stock HD280's and get teh 300ohm versions instead.

just my 2 pence

by usuario2545 on 2011-01-17 12:34:26

Thank you very much for your information. I do not understand is that of the 150-300 ohm. What do you mean? There are some version of these headphones with these ohm? What is the difference? Thanks for your help.

RE: Headphones to POD HD. ¿HI FI, Studio, open, closed...? Help me, please.
by laplayantonio on 2011-01-20 03:01:45

hello oscar

this is a matter of taste somehow; using closed or semiopen headphones depends on if you need isolation from the surrounding sound, as usually during recording

ear damage is completely independent of this, only depends on how long and how loud your ears are exposed; also, some persons may be affected differently than others: please be careful, as there is no cure for hearing loss..!!

see more in the headphone FAQ: http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4695

line6antonio

by Rowbi on 2011-01-20 04:18:40

here's a page with info at the bottom of the page about lengths of time recommended for avoiding hearing damage: http://www.occupationalhearingloss.com/noise_induced_hearing_loss.htm

but that's a guideline, and someone with sensitive hearing, or with existing hearing damage may differ.  with headphones, it's hard to work out what the db will be of the sound entering your ears, but even if you work out the volume settings, another song may be louder if you listen, so its really all about what you're confortable listening at.  I think it should be obvious to you if you're listening loudly, so if you're worried turn it down a bit.

by whiteop on 2011-01-20 07:56:18

I just worked with an acoustics engineer who is also a sound engineer and producer that has a $100K mixing board with over 60 channels and 25 years experience and he recommended Sony MDR 7506 headphones which are professional grade and cost about $100. He uses them for mixing and mentioned that he has recorded a lot of FRFR amps into his board so they might be a good candidate. He's worked with Don Henley, Dixie Chicks, and Sting among many others so I would guess that he probably knows his stuff.

by usuario2545 on 2011-01-20 11:53:49

Hello. Thank you all for your help. I have one more question. Line6 recommends: "We recommend headphones entre 150-600 ohm rated". However, I see that most have less ohm headphones. For example, Senheiser 280 Pro. Is it so important? How can it influence? Thanks.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-20 12:17:24

Rowbi, do you know if Sennheiser puts out another headphone that's identical in appearance to the 280 Pro?  I have some Sennheisers at home that look identical, but I can't say that I recommend them.  I have two issues with them.  1) they don't sound as flat as my monitors (M-Audio BX8's - not the best I know, but if you don't go too loud I think they're great).  2) they aren't terribly comfortable - feels like someone is pushing them lightly against my head.  They do have great isolation and low-end.  When I used them to listen to music (EDIT: on the headphones, I still listen to music!), I'd often have to tweak the EQ curve to get them to sound flat - they sounded different than all my other headphones and speakers.

I'll let ppl know what I have when I get home, so I'm not putting out misinformation.  But even based on comfort, I'd rather try out the Sony's.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-20 12:26:36

Also, the ohm rating probably has nothing to do with tone, but to do with volume.  I have to turn the Master volume knob on the Pod HD down pretty far when I'm using my headphones, or they'll be too loud.  Higher ohms = less volume.  In this case, it would be preferable to have higher ohm headphones, so I can plug the phones into the Pod HD and keep the Master knob up somewhat high so that I'm sending a strong signal to my recording unit, without deafening myself.  Of course, my audio interface has a headphones jack and volume control, so I just plug into that and have no problems.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-20 22:16:23

Ok I have the 280 pro as well.  They are 60 Ohm and I definitely don't turn the master knob on the Pod up too high when using them - the 300 ohm .  And they definitely sound good - they handle bass extremely well, great isolation.  And for all I know, they might have a flatter response than my monitors

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.