These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Metal Rhythm patch Setlist w/ Clips
by meambobbo on 2011-01-19 17:07:33

Firmware v1.2

Here's 4 and 1/2 banks of metal patches.  That's 18 patches total, 4 per each high gain amp, but with 6 rather than 4 for the Fireball.

I tried to do 2 "pre" and 2 "full" patches for each amp, but for some (Marshall J-800) I only did "pre" bc the "full" sounds pretty awful.  If some are too bassy or broken up, try turning on the studio eq, line 6 distortion, or tube screamer effects in front the amp.  many have these but they're defaulted off.  some don't have them but you can grab the settings from other patches.  The J-800 and Uber tend to rely more on a distortion or EQ in front.

I gravitated toward the Uber 4x12 cab, but I also found the Treadplate 4x12 had a good but different sound too it.  Occasionally I'd use the XXL V-30 4x12.  I went for variety, and though I tried to dial them all in as best I could, some patches are obviously a little off.  I almost always used SM57 on axis.  I used to like off axis, but it sound too lacking in something, and I couldn't dial it back in.  For other mics, I just wasn't feeling it.  Sometimes they'd sound good, but I found I could dial in the goodness and then some with the SM57.

Also, these patches are designed to go direct into a computer or full response monitors.  I can't vouch for how they'll sound through a power amp and speakers, or if you aren't in "Studio/Direct" output mode.  I do think the Uber 4x12 sounds quite similar to my actual 4x12 w/ vintage 30's, but you need to dial in more presence.

There's also some prototype lead patches in one of the higher banks!

Feedback is appreciated!!!!  The clips are for each amp (which has its own bank), going through each patch, from A to D.

Re: Metal Rhythm patch Setlist
by Texxxxx on 2011-01-19 17:34:13

Right On!  Thanks, meambobbo..can't wait to check them out!

Edit:  Just ran through them...impressive.  I like the way you didn't hardly use distortion pedals and got great tones.  I am weak with the EQ settings and look forward to dissecting the way you use them.

4C doesn't have a name, but sounds really good...fireball pre.

Thanks, again...

Message was edited by: Texxxxx

by jeff5x0 on 2011-01-19 18:36:13

Thanks meambobbo! Ill try to check it out later!!

by meambobbo on 2011-01-19 21:19:03

please note i updated the setlist.  try "Metal2" please

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-19 21:23:31

Thanks meambobbo.  I will give them a try.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-19 22:22:13

yeah, i had to listen to the clips a lot to figure out which ones I like the most.  I'm going with 1A, 2A, 3B, and 4A - All "pre".  Almost all Uber 4x12 w/ SM57 on axis.  The Treadplate seems to go best with the Treadplate 4x12 - with other cabs it always seems boomy.  And the Fireball definitely has a good response to the XXL V-30 4x12 (patch 4B), which seems to bring out frequencies that it sounds weak on other cabs, but I still prefer Uber.  For the Marshall, I like the XXL V-30 4x12.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-19 23:26:12

Here's an updated version with better cross-patch volume equalization, and a few minor tweaks.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-19 23:26:28

Thanks for these.  That's really helpful. Just one question: were they done using f/w 1.1 or f/w 1.2?  This will be of interest I'm sure to many people especially re: the Uber patches - I couldn't see any reference to the f/w version in your post though - sorry if I missed it.

Regards

Nick

by meambobbo on 2011-01-19 23:38:50

Hey Nick, sorry I should have said I'm using v1.2.  So I think that when using a pre-gain EQ or distortion pedal (I use a studio EQ), you can dial in a good metal sound; but again, I'd like to point out that I still prefer v1.1 for the Uber.  I hope the next update gets us the best of both versions.  And it'd be nice if Line 6 released a firmware that's otherwise v1.2 but with the v1.1 Uber.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-19 23:45:03

Thanks for clarifying on the f/w revision. 

Best regards

Nick

Re: Metal Rhythm patch Setlist w/ Clips
by jeff5x0 on 2011-01-20 17:17:15

I dont know how these sound on other peoples gear, but let me tell ya, you have restored my hope in getting a really good tight dirty tone out of this unit. I dont play metal, but I love me some good grainy distortion. Youre an eq master buddy! I never would have thought to try some of the weird stuff you did. I play a strat with stock pick ups, and a les paul with emgs going into the power amp of a spider valve sv with output set to combo power amp. These tones, on my gear anyways, sound super tight, thick and warm. My church has a way of destroying every tone I make at home because there is no acoustic treatment there. But somehow, I think these tones are going to cut through. Ill get a chance to check it out there tomorrow. But meambobbo, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your dilligent work. There are a few in the JCM, and the Uber that really blow me away. The angel, not so much. A little too much for my taste. Im also going to check these out going direct in (studio mode) into Reaper and see how they sound there. Thanks man!

by Texxxxx on 2011-01-20 19:13:17

I like the high volume of the first set list compared to the quieter 2 and 3, fwiw....

by meambobbo on 2011-01-20 20:22:01

Hey Tex, I wanted to put them louder as well, but it seems the parametric EQ will clip if you put too high an input into it.  I tried to workaround by placing any EQ's that boosted at the end of the chain and only use cuts before that EQ, but I may have played it too conservatively.  I wonder if putting them before the mixer but after the amp would help.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-20 20:27:34

hey jeff, glad you are enjoying them.  I didn't quite get as much bass in there as I wanted, but that's probably a good thing for a mix.  I play a lot just jamming without any bass or backing tracks, so in that context, more bass is actually welcome.

as for the ENGL, I agree it sounds quite rough.  Very difficult to dial in.  It seems to go well with the XXL cab though.  I think it'd sound really good double-tracked though.  And this is another that it's difficult to dial in the bass IMO.  Again, that's good for a mix but no so fun by itself.

Anyone try the lead patches?  Gonna try to tweak those next, then crunch, then clean.  It seems the pressing need was for metal patches, though.  I've heard LOTS of awesome clean and crunch tones.  Not quite as much metal.

by stumpsout on 2011-01-20 20:43:01

Hey, thanks much for wrestling those tones out of there. i'm really enjoying them, too.

Just pretty much agree echoing what's already been said...and following along for now

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-20 21:55:13

Cool, meambobbo I like what you did to get a good sound with out a distortion pedal.  I played them through headphones last night and tonight and like every one else they sound great.  Thanks for doing all the work. Looking forward for more enhancements.

I put a few of my metal patches up on custom tone tonight. See what you think. http://line6.com/customtone/profile/FrozenOzone/

by matisq on 2011-01-20 23:34:28

Well,

To be honest it doesn't sound good for me. Still to "eletronic" sound, but maybe it it's only my broken ear.

Soon I will try to post some of my patches to compare with your sound.

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-21 06:35:44

Hi matisq,

Your ears aren't playing tricks on you.  They are overdriven with a screamer and on top of that I am using the amps drive to boost it even more.  Yes the electronic sound.   The patches I made sound more like my digitech more of a digital sound instead of a natural amp sound.  I am slowly working my way out of the distortion pedal generation and into the amp distortion generation. I also should point out that I didn't use headphone's to dial in my patches.  

Yes they are totally different than meambobbo's patches.  I think he has done a great job of showing what you can do with out a distortion pedal in the mix. I didn't use a distortion pedal on my tread patch and I think it sounds fantastic on my rig. Thanks for checking them out and giving feedback.  Looking forward to checking out your patches and more of meambobbo's improvements.

Ed.

by meambobbo on 2011-01-21 07:28:05

thanks, frozenozone - i'll try them out ASAP.

I did more tweaking on the Recto's - they needed some work.  I sucked out more of the boom and dialed in the djent.  I think everyone will like these a little more:

by Texxxxx on 2011-01-22 08:10:05

Thanks, meambobbo, these patches are really, really helping my Son with his metal sound.  Great learning experience for him, seeing how you do it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.