These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Aux channel takes the same amp and settings as the guitar in
by thetaggs on 2011-01-20 20:04:54

When I use either the mic or aux in - the mic or aux in takes on the same amp characteristics as the guitar channel. I have set up 2 paths - 1 that has effects for my guitar including an amp. The other channel does not have an amp associated but just a reverb and delay on it for vocals. However, when I sing through it, if my amp has gain on it, the mic will also have gain on it. It sounds like I'm singing with an overdrive stompbox on. It does the same with the aux in. I cannot get the second path to sound clean. Can you help? I am using the HD500.

Re: Aux channel takes the same amp and settings as the guitar in
by meambobbo on 2011-01-20 20:34:12

Have you gone into the utilities menu by holding view (this is for HD500, not sure about 300/400) and scrolling down to where it designates what goes into input 1 and what goes into input 2?  You should be able to separate the signals there.

by thetaggs on 2011-01-21 05:43:39

I am able to determine and control what is designated as the input source. In other words, the mic AND the guitar in both work. The mic does take on the characteristics of the path, like delay or whatever that is unique to it. However, it also takes on the AMP from the other path. So, if I have a treadplate set up with moderate distortion....the mic also has moderate distortion at the same time as it has it's unique path stompbox effects. It's the same with the AUX input. If I designate the AUX input as a source...the same occurs. The path effects are unique to that input. However, there's distortion from the amp.

If I remove distortion from the amp, it's removed from both input sources. I believe I am missing something. You probably know exactly what the issue is...but, I don't quite get it.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

by phil_m on 2011-01-21 05:54:58

Do you have the A and B sides of the mixer block hard panned left and right?  Also, do have anything in front of the mixer in your signal chain?

by meambobbo on 2011-01-21 09:00:42

thetaggs wrote:

I am able to determine and control what is designated as the input source. In other words, the mic AND the guitar in both work. The mic does take on the characteristics of the path, like delay or whatever that is unique to it. However, it also takes on the AMP from the other path. So, if I have a treadplate set up with moderate distortion....the mic also has moderate distortion at the same time as it has it's unique path stompbox effects. It's the same with the AUX input. If I designate the AUX input as a source...the same occurs. The path effects are unique to that input. However, there's distortion from the amp.

If I remove distortion from the amp, it's removed from both input sources. I believe I am missing something. You probably know exactly what the issue is...but, I don't quite get it.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I'm not sure judging from this response if you looked at the screen I'm talking about in the utilities menu.  You should be able to set TWO DIFFERENT input sources.  So you'd set input 1 to guitar and input 2 to mic.  I think you've done this, but I just wanted to be clear.  That's half the battle.

Then in your signal chain, you need to have TWO amps, with the bottom one turned off or set to no model.  So the chain has to divide before you run into the amp. Put your cursor over the amp and select move, and press up or right, so that you can see the signal split before it hits the amp.  This should automatically cause a second amp to appear in the bottom chain.  Again, make sure that amp is set to bypass.

Finally, you need to mess with the mixer's pan controls, so the guitar isn't completely routed to the left and the mic to the right or vice versa.  Set the pan on both to 0.

by thetaggs on 2011-01-22 20:12:44

Thanks meamobbo...you are correct in assuming I have configured the individual sources. I have also split the paths as you've stated, but can't get the sound to change at all from one input to the other now. They both sound the same. I am wondering if it has to be after the mixer as another poster said. I'll try that and if it doesn't work, i am going to have to start including picutres or a video to help explain what i am talking about.

Thanks for all the continued help and for being patient with me!

by thetaggs on 2011-01-22 20:33:05

Sorry guys...I think I found the issue. You guys were dead on. Here's what happened. Everytime I accessed this one particular setting I would get a DSP error. I didn't think much of it and changed the setting. However, when I deleted and saved it then rebooted my hd500, the channels are correct!

Thanks for taking the time to help me knock this issue out.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.