These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Anyone having problems with recording the HD500? Got it Working!
by MerlinFL on 2011-01-21 20:48:52

I've got TWO acoustic versions of Blackbird that I tried doing AFTER the latest update to the HD500.  It's got some weird computer noises being output and it's not my computer or my DAW since I've tried doing the same thing with a real acoustic guitar and did not have any weird sounds added.  I tried rolling back the driver and HD500 Edit just in case it came from there somehow.  No change in results.

Here's two uploads of what my HD500 is doing lately ONLY from the USB output direct into my DAW.

These "odd" sounds are not heard in headphones while recording or through amp speakers.  Problem only made itself known to me after recording.  I did these recordings WITHOUT listening to the input.  I just plugged headphones into the HD500 and played.  Wasn't til I listened back that I heard what was actually recorded.

Blackbird_Parlor.mp3Blackbird_Dreadnaught.mp3

Weird stuff, huh?  Anyone else have this problem or am I breaking NEW ground with this one??

Help and suggestions appreciated, but a solution would be best.

Thanks in advance,

Neal

Re: Anyone having problems with recording the HD500? I am now...
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-21 23:25:16

Okay, that's some stuttering.  That can be caused by things that are using CPU power  or disc access while recording.

Just try a couple of things.  First do you have more than one DAW application?  Try recording using a different application.  Increase your buffer size in the ASIO settings for the recording and see how that goes.  Do you have the DAW configured to use the ASIO drivers and not WDM?

What you want to do is determine where the problem lies.  If you use another DAW and it records fine, then it's related to that, if increasing the buffers works then you need to look at ways to make your computer leaner and meaner when using the DAW.  If the problem continues then it may be driver or HD500 related.  So, it's a good idea to try those other things first.

BTW, is that the JTV acoustic models?  They sound good.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-01-22 03:30:52

Hi Neal

Do you have a wireless network interface in your computer?  This is a known cause sometimes of audio jitter because the wi-fi interface is likely to have a higher priority than the HD500 on the USB BUSS.  It doesn't affect all computers, but it certainly does affect others, particularly those that share a USB buss internally by means of an internal USB hub.  This issue isn't by any means exclusive to the HD500 and other Line 6 products.  Try turning the wi-fi interface off (if you have one) to see whether the situation improves.

The reason you wouldn't notice the glitches in your headphones whilst recording is that you are monitoring the input directly on your HD500.

Nick

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-22 12:46:37

TO EVERYONE who has offered up suggestions...thanks.

However the situation seems to be related directly to the HD500 and not my computer as I've recorded and have been recording everything else just fine.  This is the first time I've ever heard something like this happen while recording anything.

No, I do not have more than 1 DAW, no I do not have any apps running that are accessing the CPU.  I have a separate computer with no Internet just so I can have a system that can run as "freely" as possible without too much of the usual Windows clutter.

I'll try recording the same JTV patch - YES CRUSTY THOSE ARE TWO OF THE NEW ACOUSTIC PATCHES using the 1/4" plugged into my Toneport UX8 directly and see what the results are.

I'm sorry the link I posted for guessing is giving some people page errors.  It shouldn't as others have used it and just said it sounds like "crap", essentially.

I'll try a new recording today and see how that goes and post the results either way.

Are these links working well or should I start using the attach files option instead?

Thanks,

Neal

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-22 15:34:59

MerlinFL wrote:

I've got TWO acoustic versions of Blackbird that I tried doing AFTER the latest update to the HD500.  It's got some weird computer noises being output and it's not my computer or my DAW since I've tried doing the same thing with a real acoustic guitar and did not have any weird sounds added.  I tried rolling back the driver and HD500 Edit just in case it came from there somehow.  No change in results.

Here's two uploads of what my HD500 is doing lately ONLY from the USB output direct into my DAW.

These "odd" sounds are not heard in headphones while recording or through amp speakers.  Problem only made itself known to me after recording.  I did these recordings WITHOUT listening to the input.  I just plugged headphones into the HD500 and played.  Wasn't til I listened back that I heard what was actually recorded.

Weird stuff, huh?  Anyone else have this problem or am I breaking NEW ground with this one??

Thanks in advance,

Neal

Here's a quick recording that is no longer having digital interference. now I just have to track down the ground hum that is being picked up by the HD500.  Yes, I did chase everything down and the ground hu is coming from the HD500.

Anyway - here is my JTV guitar set to Parlor acoustic 6-string running through the HD500 with dual PhD Motorway amp WITH the default 2x12 ported cab combined with the 9/15 amp with no adjustments to it's default setting except to lower the input gain and increase the Presence control to about half up from 0.  I think this combination makes for an excellent Acoustic amp model.  It sounds almost this crystal clear running through the DT50 amp in mode 1, pentode, and class A.

Silver Wheels.mp3

I'd be interested to know what anyone thinks of the sound.  I could also record the same piece without the HD500 to compare the difference of just the JTV and the JTV running through the HD500 if desired.  Just ask.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-22 17:49:53

MerlinFL wrote:

However the situation seems to be related directly to the HD500 and not my computer as I've recorded and have been recording everything else just fine.

This cannot be established without properly isolating the problem.

Troubleshooting 1.01:

Step 1, check the physical - cables, connectors, etc.

Step 2, Isolate the problem by swapping out devices, components, etc...  (Nothing can be done until the culprit is properly identified through isolating the problem.)

I won't bore you with the rest of the process.

Cheers,

Crusty

Re: Anyone having problems with recording the HD500? Resolved!
by MerlinFL on 2011-01-22 18:04:35

MerlinFL wrote:

MerlinFL wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Neal

Here's a quick recording that is no longer having digital interference. now I just have to track down the ground hum that is being picked up by the HD500.  Yes, I did chase everything down and the ground hu is coming from the HD500.

Anyway - here is my JTV guitar set to Parlor acoustic 6-string running through the HD500 with dual PhD Motorway amp WITH the default 2x12 ported cab combined with the 9/15 amp with no adjustments to it's default setting except to lower the input gain and increase the Presence control to about half up from 0.  I think this combination makes for an excellent Acoustic amp model.  It sounds almost this crystal clear running through the DT50 amp in mode 1, pentode, and class A.

Silver Wheels.mp3

I'd be interested to know what anyone thinks of the sound.  I could also record the same piece without the HD500 to compare the difference of just the JTV and the JTV running through the HD500 if desired.  Just ask.

And as promised - here is a dry JTV Dreadnaught model 6-string using 1/4" cable direct into TonePort UX 8 instrument input, then into DAW.  No humming, buzzing or any other unwanted noises.  On more time performing Silver Wheels composed by Nancy Wilson of Heart.

Silver Wheels_DRY.mp3

As I wrote previously and not to be disrespectful to Crusty's intelligence and thoroughness in problem solving....I'm here with my gear...he is trying to help from the other side of the globe.  It's appreciated, but in this case I know my gear well enough to know where the problem is coming from and now I'll work out a way to resolve it.  The problem is the HD500 and nothing else.

Message was edited by: MerlinFL

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.