These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

My Variax will not work with my POD x3 Live
by ler42 on 2009-04-18 20:28:12

I can not get my x3 live to recognize my variax 600 is there something wrong with the x3?

Re: My Variax will not work with my POD x3 Live
by TheRealZap on 2009-04-18 20:47:11

are you using the Line6 VDI cable?

may want to closely inspect the variax ports for bent pins.

by ler42 on 2009-04-18 22:10:45

It works fine with my vetta II I am using the line 6 cable

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-04-18 23:13:07

Make sure you have the latest flash memory installed.  Now follow the link below and the step by step instructions that I wrote up.

http://www.vettaville.nl/vvpodx3.html#701

Cheers,

Crusty

by TheRealZap on 2009-04-19 08:57:49

i would then inspect the port on the x3... but its only a guess...

also did you go to the inputs screen...

and then twist the knob under the lcd that chooses you input/s?

you will need to hit save afterwards or it will revert back after every patch change...

also... this setting is per patch... so you'd have to change it everywhere...

i tend to have mine all set to variax+guitar... works either way then.

by jcosta_sr on 2009-04-20 11:58:11

This may be obvious, but every X3L patch needs to be set for the Variax input.

by amsdenj on 2009-04-20 16:46:38

I have noticed some problems with specific VDI cables. I have a Variax 300 and a 700 acoustic and a number of different VDI cables. These all worked fine with both guitars on my XTL. I got an X3L and none of the cables worked with the 300 and only one worked with the 700. I had the 300 repaired for some other reason, and now all the cables work with the repaired 300 and X3L, but still only one with the 700.

Given that all cables work with the XT, it wouldn't appear to be an issue with the cable connections at the guitars. Given that before the repair, none of the cables worked with the X3, and after the repair, they all work, one would start to belive there's something going on in the hardware. Firmware hasn't been changed.

I've asked Line6 about this, and the answer for the 300 was to replace the system board. I haven't sent in the 700 yet because it works with one cable. But as soon as I get to a gig and find I brought the wrong cable - I'm going to wish I had it fixed. I had that happen recently with the TRS cables. A Line6 TRS cable that came with the 300 won't work in the 700.There was no power to guitar. Worked with batteries though.

by es336td on 2013-02-01 13:05:08

I'm having the same problem with my 600.   Just got a used X3 from a kid I know; he doesn't have a Vax and never took the cover off the VDI port.   I connect them via a new VDI cable and change the inputs to Variax; nothing.   I ran Monkey and got the latest stuff, so does this flash apply here?   If you have the Variax stuff in GearBox, then I should have it right?   This is severely frustrating.

by kristianbrigman on 2013-02-27 08:46:01

one possibility... my vdi port on my variax was a little loose, and once the ground wire for the vdi port pulled loose.

still worked fine when using the 1/4" out. just had to reconnect the ground wire, pretty easy to see once i pulled apart

the connector block.

by es336td on 2013-03-21 20:50:36

Everything looks pristine.  I went to 3 different Line 6 "dealers" today...  no one had any Variax stuff, or anything I could connect my 600 to with the VDI.   Both Guitar Centers had nothing but Spiders and Spider Valve models.  Sad.  Guess I have to break down and go  to Chuck Levin's...

Is there a way for me to use a meter and check to see I'm getting power from the VDI?   As I said above, everything is pristine.  The plug on the X3 Live was never used by the previous owner; never removed the rubber cover.  The VDI cable is brand new.   My 600 has had some issues, but nothing, I believe, that would cause it not to work.  When I connect it to my PC, Workbench still works.

Any other ideas, besides selling everything and buying something else?

Thanx.

L

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.