These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Help connecting my Line6 Spider Valve HD100 Head to my Marshall Cabs?
by MSkillz on 2011-01-25 07:37:29

Hi all, I'm new to this site.  Up until this week, I've been completely oblivious to ohms.  I'm a Marshall guy, who has a Marshall JCM 800 2555 head and 2 JCM 900 cabs (angled and straight).  This is a great amp, but it's a one trick pony.  Two years back, I was blown away by the Line6 Spider Valve HD100 and I had to get it.  I've used it quite a bit with my Marshall cabs.  Up until now, I never thought anything about ohms (stupid I know).  I've been reading some discussions on here and now I'm concerned about having it hooked up correctly.  I know the "buy a Line6 cab" will be said, but I like my Marshall cabs and want to make sure that I'm hooking it up correctly.

The back of my Marshall cabs have a 4 ohm input and a 16 ohm input.  The Line6 head has a choice of 4 ohm outputs, 8 ohm outputs and a 16 ohm output.  I have some pictures included below so you can see what I'm looking at.

My questions are:

1.) What is the proper way to connect the two when I am using one cab as a half stack?

2.) What is the proper way to connect thew three when I am using two as a full stack?

Again, this ohm thing is somewhat of a new revelation to me and your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

SV HD100 Speaker Outputs.jpg494547.jpg

Re: Help connecting my Line6 Spider Valve HD100 Head to my Marshall Cabs?
by TheRealZap on 2011-01-25 07:46:34

i highly doubt you'll get a "buy a line6 cab" response...

seriously... that's the reason that they are seperate, so you can put together what works for you....

when using one, you can go 16ohm (A) out to 16 ohm in...  or you can use the 4 ohm out (C) to the 4 ohm in, this would push more power into the cab.

when using 2 in mono... go from 8ohm out (B) to each of the 16ohm inputs

by MSkillz on 2011-01-25 08:08:57

Haha, sorry, didn't know what to expect.  I do like the durability and look of my Marshall cabs, and although wouldn't mind a Line6 full stack, it's not in the cards financially right now.  Thanks for your help.

To confirm your answer, you suggest that I:

Half Stack Scenario

Run from Line 6 16 ohm (A) into Marshall 16 ohm

or

Run from Line 6 4 ohm (C) into Marshall 4 ohm

(which of the two would you recommend?)

Full Stack Scenario (In Mono)

Run from Line 6 8 ohm (B) into one Marshall cab 16 ohm

and

Run from Line 6 8 ohm (B) into other Marshall cab 16 ohm

by TheRealZap on 2011-01-25 08:13:18

correct on all counts...

for the half i would try them both... but if you want the most power go with the (C) version...

but your speakers may sound better with one over the other, so it's worth expirementing.

by MSkillz on 2011-01-25 08:22:17

Thank you for your help!  Now I can have some peace of mind that I am not damaging my amp and speakers.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.