These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Line 6: JTV-69 and Vetta II not compatible for model switching?
by magnoliafan on 2011-01-25 13:06:14

I have had my JTV-69 guitar for two weeks, and I have been unable to get it to work fully with my Vetta II amp. The guitar will not load model patches when I change patches on the amp. For example, when I have it connected via VDI cable and pick the "VAX Sitar" patch, I would expect the JTV-69 to switch to the sitar patch automatically. But that does not happen.

From what I've read in the support forums and heard from knowledgable members, this is not supported on the JTV guitars, unlike the Line 6 Variax guitars. I was also told only newer prodcuts like the POD HD's and DT50 support model changes on the JTV guitars.

If this is correct, is there any plan to support this on the JTV guitars in future firmware updates? I wanted to get official confirmation of this before I return the instrument for a refund.

Re: Line 6: JTV-69 and Vetta II not compatible for model switching?
by silverhead on 2011-01-25 13:30:19

That's a good question, and I've heard it asked with respect to the POD XT Live product as well. The JTV does not communicate with the XT Live either.

Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get a definitive answer from Line 6 on this - and anyone else is just speculating. Historically, Line 6 just doesn't discuss product development plans. As users, we learn about answers to these questions when the avaialbility of the feature/upgrade is announced - not before. Right or wrong, like it or not, that's just the way it is - and I'm not here defending or challenging that marketing strategy. Just stating it.

Personally, in your place, if the Vetta compatibility is critically important to you, and you wouldn't want to keep the JTV without it, I wouldn't hold out for potential future upgrades that may never happen. Return it, get your refund, and wait to see. You can always buy another one later if/when the upgrade you want is implemented.

On the other hand, the upgrade may be announced tomorrow - nobody knows. Your call, I'm afraid.

by sparkyERTW on 2011-01-25 19:09:08

I agree with Silverhead's assessment.  For well over a year, the original Variax forum was flooded with posts of people complaining (quite rightly) about Line 6's lack of 64-bit support for the Workbench USB interface.  Whenever anyone from Line 6 did answer, the community was given responses like, "you can access it through a POD XT or X3 Live" (yes, that's right, they basically said go drop $400-500 on top of the $100 you already spent for Workbench), "just stick with 32-bit", and "go file a feature request and if we get enough of them maybe something will happen".  The Workbench software, and Line 6 Edit, were also problematic; they wouldn't run using Java 6.  You were forced to use 5, which could only be found on an archived section of Sun's website, surrounded by disclaimers which basically said, "we really, really strongly recommend you don't use this anymore."  It wasn't until the JTVs started shipping that any of this was taken care of (and Line 6 Edit, to my knowledge, was still never updated).

What it basically boils down to is that after a few years, Line 6 drops support for their products like a hot potato.  While it is understandable that they can't go through the expense of supporting a product indefinitely, it's something you as a customer need to keep in mind.  I'm buying a JTV with the full realization that I will probably have to upgrade from my POD XT Live to get proper integration with the JTV, and that after a few years their software support for both will dry up.  But at least I know that going in.

by johnnyayyy on 2011-01-31 23:47:57

magnoliafan wrote:

I have had my JTV-69 guitar for two weeks, and I have been unable to get it to work fully with my Vetta II amp. The guitar will not load model patches when I change patches on the amp. For example, when I have it connected via VDI cable and pick the "VAX Sitar" patch, I would expect the JTV-69 to switch to the sitar patch automatically. But that does not happen.

From what I've read in the support forums and heard from knowledgable members, this is not supported on the JTV guitars, unlike the Line 6 Variax guitars. I was also told only newer prodcuts like the POD HD's and DT50 support model changes on the JTV guitars.

If this is correct, is there any plan to support this on the JTV guitars in future firmware updates? I wanted to get official confirmation of this before I return the instrument for a refund.

Neal MerlinFL had his JTV working perfectly with his Vetta for a while, but now he is saying he can't get it to work and doesn't want to give up the info on how he got it to work in the first place, so it's every man for himself I guess.

He did say the 10 custom bank models were working with his Vetta but not the rest of the models, not sure that is still true but here is all I could get him to say about it...

MerlinFL wrote:

1) Plug in the JTV using the VDI cable

2) Dial up a patch in one of the tem slots in the two custom banks.

3) Make sure that the Alt tune knob is on MODEL.

4) dial up the patch on the Vetta you want THAT guitar to be associated and recalled to.

5) Got the guitar ya want, plsying through the amp patch ya want??

6) Hit SAVE on the Vetta & THAT should work.

I have a Vetta and I have ordered a JTV69, as soon as I get my JTV I will do some Beta testing and try to figure this out, but it is probably going to be a while... by then there may be a new  firmware for JTV that solves the problem.

by gordonius on 2011-02-01 07:59:51

Hi There:

I'm a proud new owner of a JTV-69 and have had no problems with switching patches on my Vetta II HD.  It may be due to the fact that I have two earlier Variax models - a Vraiax 500 and a Variax Acoustic.  When I plugged my JTV into the Vetta with the digital cable, it displayed that the Variax Acoustic was paired with the Vetta.  So, while I agree with most of the posters here that there is no setting on the Vetta for the JTV, it DID find the guitar.

A couple of things I noticed with my setup...

I cannot use the midi interface on the Vetta II to utilize the Variax Workbench.  I tried and tried but no deal.  It wasn't until I hooked up the USB Interface and deleted all JTV midi references in Workbench that everything worked.  I created 2 new guitars and tunings for the "Custom" settings on the JTV and it worked just fine.

Also, I was able to save these custom guitars into a patch on the Vetta.  In my case, I cannot just hit save on the Vetta.  I have to scroll through all the guitars until I find the one I want to save with the patch and then save.

You just need to fool around with your particular setup.  I don't know if it's because I had used the Variax Acoustic before that everything works.

Best to all!

by johnnyayyy on 2011-02-01 08:28:41

gjahnig wrote:

Hi There:

I'm a proud new owner of a JTV-69 and have had no problems with switching patches on my Vetta II HD.  It may be due to the fact that I have two earlier Variax models - a Vraiax 500 and a Variax Acoustic.  When I plugged my JTV into the Vetta with the digital cable, it displayed that the Variax Acoustic was paired with the Vetta.  So, while I agree with most of the posters here that there is no setting on the Vetta for the JTV, it DID find the guitar.

A couple of things I noticed with my setup...

I cannot use the midi interface on the Vetta II to utilize the Variax Workbench.  I tried and tried but no deal.  It wasn't until I hooked up the USB Interface and deleted all JTV midi references in Workbench that everything worked.  I created 2 new guitars and tunings for the "Custom" settings on the JTV and it worked just fine.

Also, I was able to save these custom guitars into a patch on the Vetta.  In my case, I cannot just hit save on the Vetta.  I have to scroll through all the guitars until I find the one I want to save with the patch and then save.

You just need to fool around with your particular setup.  I don't know if it's because I had used the Variax Acoustic before that everything works.

Best to all!

Cool, this is great news! Thanks man.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.