These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Trying to get up and running - Gig this weekend - yikes!
by babealicious on 2011-01-25 19:07:59

Thanks all you guys for the help so far. I thought I was getting the hang of setting up patches/banks in the editor, but after I send them and I go to the pod it's not doing what I expected. When I step on the scroll switches it scrolls through each patch in a single bank rather than from one bank to the next. So for example it will go 1a 1b 1c and 1d when I scroll rather than Bank1, Bank 2, etc. What might I doing wrong??

Also what's the real difference between Pre and Post (amp) on the presets?

If anyone might have a few minutes in the next day or so to talk to me on the phone I would greatly appreciate it. I think that would help me get started at least. The Pod isn't acting like I expect it to. I have the latest software and I'm using the Editor and sending all the presets to the pod.

A little frustrated, but hanging through the learning curve!

My email address is daveage@comcast.net

Re: Trying to get up and running - Gig this weekend - yikes!
by tamotsu101 on 2011-01-25 21:13:23

If you're in Stomp mode (orange), you'll scroll through individual patches rather that banks while in Bank mode (green).

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-25 22:12:17

Hi babealicious,  I am sure someone can help but I think we need more information.  What HD unit do you have?  What is your setup.  Amp, PA or power amp/guitar cab. (all of these)  Also, have you checked out http://line6.com/customtone/it's where you can download user created tones/patches.  It's a good starting place.

by ozbadman on 2011-01-26 00:22:14

Also, download the Adnvaced User Manual for your POD HD model from the Support->Product Manuals section of this website. It contains a lot of information.

by silverhead on 2011-01-26 07:09:11

babealicious wrote:

If anyone might have a few minutes in the next day or so to talk to me on the phone I would greatly appreciate it. ...

Why not call tech support at the number you'll find under the Contact Us button at the foot of this page?

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 09:54:25

I called the first day and after a long wait the guy didn't seem like he was interesting in helping me other than if I actually had a technical issue with software or hardware. Maybe he was having a bad day, I'll probably try them again. Thanks!

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 11:57:27

I have the HD400 running right into a combo amp. I have checked out custom tones too, pretty cool

by Dbourget on 2011-01-26 12:01:43

As Ozbadman stated, download that user manual. It will give you a much better understandaing of your unit, then things will start to make more sense to you. Of course feel free to ask questions here as there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum that I'm sure are more than happy to help you out.

Dan

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 12:23:26

I noticed I can't have multiple switches/patches going in the green mode. Is there a way to do that while in the green mode?

by silverhead on 2011-01-26 13:24:55

We might be getting confused on terminology here - you can't have multiple patches going at any time. All HD models load and play one patch at a time. Each patch can have multiple FX that can be turned on/off by footswitches. Patch selections and FX on/off switches are performed by the same set of footswitches, in two modes:

- Preset mode (green light): The Up/Down switches queue the adjacent bank of patches; the current patch remainds loaded. The A/B/C/D switches select and load a specific patch within the queued bank.

- Pedal Mode (amber light): The AMP/FX1/FX2/FX3 switches turn on/off the amp or FX model associated  with FX blocks 1, 2, and 3 in the current patch. The lights indicate which blocks are currently ON. The Up/Down switches immediately load the adjacent patch.

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 14:09:17

Thanks and I understand the Green mode operation, but don't quite understand that you can't have multiple patches going on at one time. When I am in Amber mode I can step on any combination of A B C D pedals and have them on simultaneously. Not sure what Im missing here?

by silverhead on 2011-01-26 14:15:15

It's just terminology. I think what you're calling patches I call FX. Yes - each patch can have multiple FX assigned, and you can turn them on/off at will. A patch is the sum total of selected amp and FX, and its stored in a bank/channel such as 1A or 16B, or whatever. There are 128 patches - the numbered memory storage locations from 1A through to 32D. Each patch can have multiple FX, but they are associated with the patch. FX do not stand alone, and are not generally called patches.

by tamotsu101 on 2011-01-26 14:19:02

To use a visual analogy:

In green mode, you're looking at an entire slideshow.  When you step on the buttons, you're selecting different slideshows.  When you're in orange mode, you're looking at the slideshow, but now you're able to select which pictures are visible in the show."

Green mode = Select different Patches

Orange mode = Select individual effects within the Patches

Edit:  I edited my terminology to coincide with Silver's.

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 14:19:51

Yes I understand all of that, but what about using multiple switches within one bank? I seem to be able to do that in Amber mode. Just trying to figure out the best way to set this up so I don't have to think too much when I need to call up a patch.

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 14:26:08

When you say "step on the buttons" in the green mode do you mean the A-D buttons or the up down buttons?

by tamotsu101 on 2011-01-26 14:33:18

I was referring to the A-D buttons.

Say you power on the pod for the first time.  Patch 1A is selected.  While you're in Green mode, and you step on the Up button, you're in Bank 2 and can now select patches 2A, 2B, 2C, or 2D using the A, B, C, or D buttons.  Now you step on the B button and have selected patch 2B.  Step on the mode button until you get to the Amber mode.  Now you can toggle the Amp, FX1, FX2, and FX3 at whim just like individual stompboxes within patch 2B.  Step on the Up button in Amber mode, and you are now looking at patch 2C.  Step on the mode switch and go back to Green mode.  Now when you step on the Down switch, you go back to Bank 1 and can select Patch 1A, 1B, 1C, or 1D.

Edit:  if you look at the MODE button, there are lines that point to the 3 different lights.  The top light is Amber, the middle is Red and the bottom light is Green.  When the bottom, Green light is on, you're in Green mode and should only look at the words on the bottom (A, B, C, D).  When the top, Amber light is on, you should only pay attention to the words on the top (AMP, FX1, FX2, FX3).  Maybe this will help a little.

by silverhead on 2011-01-26 14:40:24

babealicious wrote:

.....but what about using multiple switches within one bank?...

A bank contains 4 patches. E.g., bank 1 contains patches 1A through 1D. When you speak of using multiple switches within one bank, you are mixing your modes and terminology.

Within a bank, the switches select patches. You'll note that when in Preset/green mode, only ONE switch light of the  A-D switches is green at a time. As soon as you select another one, it  lights up and the former one goes dark. That's because you are always  and only operating within ONE patch; as soon as you select a new one, the previous one is no longer active.

Within a patch, the switches select FX (amber mode).  When in Pedal/amber mode, multiple switches/lights can be on simultaneously, reflecting that within a single patch you can have several FX active.

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 14:57:38

I think this is starting to make more sense now reading these last two responses. I'll fool around with it and hopefully I'll soon be on the other side of the curve! Thanks guys!

by silverhead on 2011-01-26 15:13:06

I think the last two posts may have helped with the conceptual problem: you are always in only ONE Mode at a time with respect to how the switches operate, and the Mode light colour indicates which mode you are in. From the top they are: Pedal Mode (amber), Looper Mode (red), and Preset mode (green). Associated with each mode there is a row of text that describes what each switch does in that particular mode. These operations are exclusive of each other; in other words when you step on the leftmost footswitch (other than the mode footswitch itself) you are EITHER:

- turning on/off the Amp in the current patch (Pedal/amber mode), OR

- setting the Looper function to operate pre- or post- amp (Looper/red mode), OR

- selecting patch A within the currently queued Bank (Preset/green mode).

You are never doing more than one of these at a time. Which one you are doing depends on what Mode you are currently in as indicated by the Mode light.

Now, way back in your original post you wrote:

babealicious wrote:

Also what's the real difference between Pre and Post (amp) on the presets?.....

The Pre/Post function is effective only in Looper mode. It determines whether the loop will record the guitar signal before it reaches the amp (the dry signal - no processing) or after the amp and FX have been applied. For details check the manual section on the Looper.

Once you get the hang of it you will figure out the best way to set up your patches for gigging. For instance, you could arrange your patches for a given playlist in order of songplay, so that patch 1A corresponds to your first song, 1B the second song, and so on. Then you remain in Pedal Mode (amber) throughout the gig - using the switches to turn FX on/off at certain points in the song. When it's time to move to the next song you just hit the Up button once. You remain in Pedal mode for the next song.

But there are lots of ways to set things up - you'll figure out what's best for you pretty quickly.

by babealicious on 2011-01-26 18:32:25

Thanks Frozen...can you tell me how to pull a custom tone into the Editor to use it as a preset?

by FrozenOzone on 2011-01-27 08:08:01

Babealicious,  I don't have the 400 I have a 500 but I am sure they are all the same.  I would suggest to check out the HD400 Edit Pilots guide. (link below) The piece you were looking for I posted below.

http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a06434dc0864ca4b2359feda/application/pdf/POD%20HD400%20Edit%20Pilot's%20Guide%20(Rev%20B)%20-%20English.pdf

style="font-size: 12pt;">To Open a Preset or Bundle File from your Computer When opening a Preset or Bundle file, the Preset(s) are loaded into the application and appear as "edited." Once you are ready to commit these to your device, use the Save Panel "Send" functions.

To open a Preset - Select "Open" from the application’s File menu and browse to the location where your Preset (.h4e) files are stored (the default Preset folder locations are shown above). Selecting a Preset file loads its saved settings, replacing the currently loaded Preset and its Channel location within the application.

To load a Bundle - Select "Load Bundle" from the application’s File menu and browse to the location where your Bundle (.h4b) files are stored (the default Bundle folder locations are shown above). Selecting a Bundle file loads its full set of 128 Presets, replacing all the currently loaded Presets within the application.

• Alternatively, you can drag a Preset or Bundle file from any folder on your computer and drop it directly in the POD HD400 Edit window to load the file’s settings.

by jeff5x0 on 2011-01-27 11:29:26

Hey good luck on your gig this weekend. Hope it all falls into place for you!

by babealicious on 2011-01-27 20:00:07

Silverhead - I understand (kind of) the difference between the green and amber modes and what word/numbers above and below the A-D switches correspond with each mode. Still a little confused about the best way to set up AND access a bank and patches/FX WITHIN the bank..

Lets say I want the same amp and basic lead and delay sounds in more than one bank, but wanted a different Mod sound for each of those banks. What would be the easiet set up with easy access?

Which makes the most sense of these two set ups?

1a V-Twin                           

1b Line6 Drive

1c Analog Chorus

1d Digital Delay

2a V-Twin

2b Line6 Drive

2c Flanger

2d Digital Delay

3a V-Twin

3b Line6 Drive

3c Tremolo

3d Digital Delay

and so on...

OR

1a V-Twin

2a Line6 Drive

3a Analog Chorus

4a Digital Delay

1b V-Twin

2b Line6 Drive

3b Flanger

4b Digital Delay

1c V-Twin

2c Line6 Drive

3c Tremolo

4c Digital Delay

and so on...

by silverhead on 2011-01-28 06:19:00

babealicious wrote:

Silverhead - I understand (kind of) the difference between the green and amber modes and what word/numbers above and below the A-D switches correspond with each mode. Still a little confused about the best way to set up AND access a bank and patches/FX WITHIN the bank..

Lets say I want the same amp and basic lead and delay sounds in more than one bank, but wanted a different Mod sound for each of those banks. What would be the easiet set up with easy access?

Which makes the most sense of these two set ups?

1a V-Twin                           

1b Line6 Drive

1c Analog Chorus

1d Digital Delay

I don't think you fully understand yet. Each bank contains four presets/patches. So your identifation of Bank 1 containing 1A through 1D is correct, and so on.

But each preset/patch is a full set/combination of amp + 3FX. Your description above suggests you are thinking of patch 1A as only being the amp , patch 1B as only being the drvie, etc. That's incorrect. Each of patches 1A through 1D contains different selections of ALL of those things.

So to answer your sepcific question:

First off, your terminology again indicates confusion. It's different patches, not different banks, that differ with respect to amp and FX selections.

Try this approach. First we'll set up some patches. For convenience, use HD Edit.

STEP 1: Select patch 1A. Make the following amp/fx selections: Amp = V-Twin; FX1 = Line 6 Drive; FX2 = Ananlog Chorus; FX3 = Digital Delay. Make sure each of these is turned ON. Tweak parameters in each of those to your desire. SAVE THE PATCH (that means use the HD Edit SEND SELECTED function to load/save it to the HD300 device.)

STEP 2: Copy patch 1A to patch 1B (click and CTRL drag in the editor window.

Select patch 1B: Change the FX2 setting to Flanger; tweak parameters and SAVE THE PATCH.

STEP 3: Repeat Step 2, copying to 1C this time. Change FX2 to Tremolo. Again SAVE THE PATCH.

... and so on....

Close HD Edit.

Using the HD300;

- Select Preset mode (hit the Mode footswitch until the green light comes on.)

- Look at the LCD display. If a Bank 1 patch is not currently displayed (1A through 1D), navigate to Bank 1 using the up/down footswitches.

- tap on the A footswitch to select patch 1A. At this point you will not see any amber lights, and you will not have control over the FX on/off switches. You could do that, but there's no need. You will hear the amps and FX that you selected for 1A in Step 1 above, including the analog chorus.

- while still in Preset (green) mode, tap on the B footswitch. The display will change to show that you are now hearing patch 1B. It is identical to 1A except that you now hear the flanger instead of the chorus.

- repeat the last action but using the C footswitch. You will hear the change to tremolo from flanger.

If you want to control individual FX you can do that at any time. Just step on the Mode footswitch until you activate Pedal Mode (amber light). Now the same fooswitches will turn the amp/FX on/off individually. If you want to change patches in this mode, step on teh up/down footswitches rather than the A-D footswitches (which are responding in FX mode at the moment).

So that's the basic idea. Now you have set your patches up so that you can switch among your different FX2 settings with a single footswitch stomp (A-D) in Preset (green) mode. Optionally, you can go to Pedal mode and navigate to ADJACENT patches wusing the up/down footswitches. When you are comfortable doing this other setup options will become clear to you - but do the above first so that you can gain a full understanding of the concepts.

EDIT: corrected mistake in identifying FX2 at several points above. I had used FX3 wrongly when referring to the MOD block of FX; it should have been FX2 (and now is)

by catalano on 2011-01-28 07:21:39

I think he is really stuck on the terminology.  Let's see if this helps:  Think in terms of analog gear.  A 'patch' would represent the total signal chain of guitar -> floor effects pedals->rack units -> amp -> speaker cabinet.  So realistically in the analog world you would only ever have one signal chain available at a time.  So the patch represents that complete signal path.  When you change a patch on the POD you are basically unplugging your guitar from that signal chain and taking it another complete signal chain with different effects, rack units, amp, cab, etc.  Kind of like walking around a music store with your guitar and plugging into all different types of gear.  So that's what you're doing when you change patches.  Now when you are in 'stomp' mode on the POD you are basically turning on/off each individual item in your signal chain.  So one button might turn on/off the distortion, one button might turn on/off the delay, etc.

Does that help?

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2011-01-31 04:42:30

You need to develop a "System" that works for you!  I can offer you an Idea though....

Pedal "A" Clean

Pedal "B" Crunch

Pedal "C" Rhythm Gain Or Special effect for the specific song...

Pedal "D" Lead

Whatever you choose.....

The Important part is that you NEVER vary from this scheme.. Keep the Same Amp/Amps too for each of the "Song" Banks...(see below)

Now Use the Bank up/down to select what song you want to use, that you have organized, either by your set list order, Alphabetically. From Music type (Light to Heavy...), Amp type in order of tone type.. and so on... You could be a One Amp type of dude too... So do it by order of the channels you are using...

BUT..

Keeping the Pedals (A,B,C &D) The Same will keep you from loosing your place if you lost your Place?  "Lead" Now!!!!!?????  LOL (Press the "D")

by babealicious on 2011-02-02 17:04:31

Thanks so much for your help! I'm getting the hang of it now at least enough to get started. I'm having a little difficulty focusing right now with things I have going on in my life, thanks for bearing with me.

by babealicious on 2011-02-02 17:06:48

That does help, thanks so much!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.