These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Ux2 Latency Issue
by xdrkest2unearthx on 2011-01-25 20:33:27

Help,

So i'm using a Ux2 as my audio interface in logic 9, one track in the session, with one instance of pod farm on that track, yet i am still getting latency issues. My buffer is set as low as it will go, all my drivers are up to date and Logic is the only app open on my macbook. why am I getting latency.

RE: Ux2 Latency Issue
by Line6Hugo on 2011-01-28 09:24:30

Can you please provide us with the full specs of your computer (Processor type and speed, operating system version, amount of RAM)?

Also, please tell me what you have your sample rate set to in the Mac Audio-MIDI setup, which can be be access by the Line 6 Audio-MIDI devices in your Mac system preferences.

Also, how much latency are you getting? What do you consider to be latent?

Please make sure to test the hardware on all of the computer's USB ports. Completely remove ANY USB hubs, even if not in use.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: Ux2 Latency Issue
by xdrkest2unearthx on 2011-02-02 10:50:30

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Latest version of Snow Leopard OSX

The sample rate in the preferences is "Extra Small"

Im getting 50-80 ms of latency, making it impossible to play in record and monitor in real time.

About 95% of the time I have this problem. Other times it works fine....

by CliveCalcutt on 2011-02-03 11:49:44

I'm not familiar with the DAW you are using, but I found that with Ableton Live I get a latency issue unless I disable "Monitoring" for each track within Ableton. You might try that within your recording software as a possible solution.

Clive

by xdrkest2unearthx on 2011-02-03 13:58:59

Clive,

Thanks for the input! Im using Logic Pro 9 and PT 9. Yes, the latency issue is solved if I disable monitoring.

BUT the point of my dilemma here is that I want to be able to monitor what I am recording, so disabling "software monitoring" or whatever term used kind of defeats the purpose...

by silverhead on 2011-02-03 14:18:49

Try monitoring with your UX2 -  with speakers or headphones connected to the main putputs or the headphones jack.

by CliveCalcutt on 2011-02-04 04:33:36

silverhead wrote:

Try monitoring with your UX2 -  with speakers or headphones connected to the main putputs or the headphones jack.

My bad! I kind of assumed that he was already using the UX2 for monitoring...

Clive

by xdrkest2unearthx on 2011-02-07 14:58:43

Clive / Silverhead

Thanks for the continued help,

Yes I have speakers connected out the analog outputs but how will monitoring out those fix the latency? In order to hear my signal being affected by pod farm plug in, I need to have software monitoring enabled. If it is not enabled, then i cannot hear what I am playing. If it is then I can, but the latency between my input signal and the monitored signal is delayed. I don't think it matters if I monitor out the headphones or analog outputs. Latency is still latency regardless of the monitor path.

Maybe you are talking about the Tone Direct Monitoring feature? If so can you tell me how to use this? I know it allows you to monitor with close to zero latency but is this by using the standalone podfarm?

by CliveCalcutt on 2011-02-08 06:07:03

Sorry, but I'm not at all familiar with PodFarm - I'm still using Gearbox. My understanding is that theToneDirect monitoring is a (key) feature of the UX2 and isn't something that needs to be switched on, it just is. Using gearbox and Ableton, I hear all the tracks I've previously recorded (assuming I haven't muted any of them) and the instrument (or vocal) I'm currently playing (or recording) with no discernible latency; I only get latency (kind of like a pronounced echo) if I have Monitoring enabled within Ableton. Switching off monitoring still allows me to listen through the UX2 either via phones or powered monitors plugged directly into the UX2.

So I can only think it's down to the signal path within/between your DAW and PodFarm - I don't understand why you can't hear yourself play (even the dry signal?) through the UX2 with monitoring disabled in the DAW.

No doubt Silverhead will be along to sort you out in due course.

Clive

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.