These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

Is Vetta II dead? Is DT50 really the substitute?
by okanogeturk on 2011-01-30 02:51:37

Hi,

I saw that Vetta II is not produced anymore and Line6.com recommends DT50 instead. Are they really similar in function? Moreover, all that beautiful dark robot looks of Vetta II, almost like Darth Vader, I'm not sure if DT50 has the same promise cosmetically

Would be nice to hear if DT50 has at least technically everthing Vetta II had, and more.

Thanks for your time!!

Re: Is Vetta II dead? Is DT50 really the substitute?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-30 04:00:33

The DT50 is a whole new direction.

The Vetta II is a stereo transistor amplifier that kind of had the functionality of 2 PODxts inside it.

The DT50 is a mono hybrid amp that has an all valve power amp that can change its personality to complement modelled pre amp tones.  The DT50 isn't full of effects and it comes with 4 amp models built in.  It is when the DT50 is coupled to a POD HD device that things get exciting.

I now have a pair of DT50s and the POD HD500.  Since getting this gear up and running, I have no plugged my Vetta II in.  The POD HD500 and 2 DT50s put the Vetta II to shame.  This is really difficult for me to say because people on this site know just how much I love my Vetta II combo.  But times have changed and I have moved on.

Once you experience the DT50 with the POD HD, you'll know what I mean.  Connect 2 of them to a POD HD500 and you'll pack your Vetta away and not play it again.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-01-30 04:05:32

I forgot to mention.  As it stands, the DT50s with POD HD500 gives you a many more effects and much, much better quality of tone.  It only has 16 amp models but they are a great selection.  I never played all 78 amp models in the Vetta II anyway.  I would typically use the Fender Deluxe, Fender Twin, Vox AC30, Marshall JTM45 and JCM800 models all of these are in the HD500.  One other model I used that's not in the HD500 is the Matchless DC30 but that's not a big problem.  Besides the Matchless DC30 was Sampson's interpretation of an early Vox AC30 anyway.

Cheers,

Crusty

by MerlinFL on 2011-01-30 20:17:16

okanogeturk wrote:

Hi,

I saw that Vetta II is not produced anymore and Line6.com recommends DT50 instead. Are they really similar in function? Moreover, all that beautiful dark robot looks of Vetta II, almost like Darth Vader, I'm not sure if DT50 has the same promise cosmetically

Would be nice to hear if DT50 has at least technically everthing Vetta II had, and more.

Thanks for your time!!

First I wish to say that I have GREAT RESPECT for Crusty as he truly DOES know what he talks about.  We might live on opposite sides of the planet, but we're all here on the Line 6 forums trying to help as best we can.

With all that said - I disagree with Crusty and I have all the gear he has as well.

I still LOVE my Vetta and NO the DT50 is nothing like the Vetta.  I'll save the extra reading since Crusty gave as complete an answer and explanation of the differences as possible.

However, if you are just getting started into Line 6 amplification, I WOULD recommend going the way Crusty explained.  Get a POD HD500, and whichever DT50 makes the most sense for you and your physical needs or wants.  And old saying comes to mind with this situation..."Can't miss what ya never had".

I hope this helps a fraction as much as Crusty's replies.

Take care,

Neal

PS - keep in mind that you still can buy a Vetta II brand new from many retailers who might be selling them at a reduced rate now that it's officially discontinued by Line 6.  That is if you really have your heart set on a Vetta II.  Please keep in mind that you will also need the other discontinued piece of gear - the FBV Longboard to get the full use of the Vetta amp.  The other shorter boards will not give you full control over the Vetta.

by okanogeturk on 2011-02-01 07:47:01

Thank you very much, you both gentlemen for taking your time to share your experience and perspective. I do respect both ways and I well understand the different benefits and take the recommendations. On the other hand, I suppose the answer to the original question is; No, there's no real substitute for Vetta II. DT50 combined with Pod HD is the holy grail and on paper it is a similar approach as Vetta II being a Line 6 amp plus 2 POD XTs, great, but DT50 only itself is short in amp models and other stuff comparing to Vetta II. So it means for the ones who'd like to have one piece of equipment having all inside, there's no continuing Vetta II or a potential Vetta III.

I am wondering why Line 6 killed Vetta concept instead of keeping this type of user in mind, get this legacy further and come up with Vetta III? On the other hand I don't understand why everybody has to love tubes (this is for DT50 being shown as the new option instead of discontinued Vetta II on Line 6 site). Vetta II had a statement, specialty, character and it had its own type of user, buyer, including big big stage acts and respectable musicians. Why to stop it? Doh.

Anyways, again, with all my respect to the long time experience of both and as a result, priceless feedback. But I still don't understand Line 6's product policy on this.

All the best,

Okan

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-01 07:53:00

you really just have to think of it as the new stuff is modular vetta...

vetta users wanted tube amps... would have been very impractical to do this in a single stereo amp...

not to mention expensive...

the dt50, goes far beyond the vetta as far as the actual amp... the vetta was pure modeling...

the dt50 recreates the power amp by switching the internal components... meaning the power amp is REAL and not modeled....

and that is the number one reason that the vetta will not even come close to the dt50....

sorry to so completely disagree with Neil.... but he had it coming! hahahah

by phil_m on 2011-02-01 08:43:25

I imagine that the main reason Line 6 stopped making the Vetta was the reason why companies make most of the decisions they do when it comes to continuing producing or discontinuing a product line - money.  Meaning, I just don't think the Vetta sold as well as they had hoped.  I know there was a local store in town here that had the same Vetta on the floor for several years.  I'm not saying the product wasn't great or wasn't worth the money.  I just think it was more complexity than most guitarists want in an amp.  To me that's the cool thing about the POD HD and DT50 combo.  It can range from being as simple to as complex as most people want it to be.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-02-01 08:51:18

phil_m wrote:

I know there was a local store in town here that had the same Vetta on the floor for several years.

I know a guy locally that worked for Mars Music, Sam Ash, and Guitar Center over a 5 year period, and sold the exact same Vetta combo 3 times, once at each store.  And it was the only Vetta that had been sold in any of those three music stores over the course of their existance to date.  I don't know the sales figures on the Vetta, but my guess is that the DT50 will out-sell it handily.

by MerlinFL on 2011-02-01 15:22:09

TheRealZap wrote:

you really just have to think of it as the new stuff is modular vetta...

vetta users wanted tube amps... would have been very impractical to do this in a single stereo amp...

not to mention expensive...

the dt50, goes far beyond the vetta as far as the actual amp... the vetta was pure modeling...

the dt50 recreates the power amp by switching the internal components... meaning the power amp is REAL and not modeled....

and that is the number one reason that the vetta will not even come close to the dt50....

sorry to so completely disagree with Neil.... but he had it coming! hahahah

No worries - I can take the disagreement.  What would the world be if everyone, or ANYONE thought like I do???  PURE CHAOS!!!  LOL 

I would prefer that you did spell me name correctly though since you're going to bash my thinking...LOL  Fair enough???

Take care,

NEAL

by MerlinFL on 2011-02-01 15:36:12

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

phil_m wrote:

I know there was a local store in town here that had the same Vetta on the floor for several years.

I know a guy locally that worked for Mars Music, Sam Ash, and Guitar Center over a 5 year period, and sold the exact same Vetta combo 3 times, once at each store.  And it was the only Vetta that had been sold in any of those three music stores over the course of their existance to date.  I don't know the sales figures on the Vetta, but my guess is that the DT50 will out-sell it handily.

Wow - I've got all the experts lining up against me, eh???  LOL  I love a challenge!! 

Has anyone given a thought about the p!ss poor marketing of the Vetta amp, the p!ss poor knowledge of ANY sales person selling a Vetta amp, AND most importantly, how Line 6 let it become and STAY that way??  Too busy selling the much simpler Spider model after model including one with a Bogner tube power section in it.

Anyone can say whatever they wish - this is a free country, BUT no one is going to tell someone like me who has made a decent living PLAYING LIVE every week with my "crappy" Vetta and my (2) "lame" Variax 700s.  I also HAVE all the new gear including a JTV Model 59US that actualy IS everything it was said to be.

OF COURSE DT50's will outsell nearly all other amps.  Two main reasons...It's NOT stupidly expensive, and IT IS SIMPLE provided you don't try hooking it up to a POD HD using the L6 iLink without knowing EXACTLY how the POD HD works and how the interface all works together, plus add in the JTV line of guitars, and that is one heck of a learning curve for experienced Line 6 users let alone newbies.

But - since I'm not an Expert according to the tag not under my name, what the heck to do I know in comparison to all the Experts??

This is what I know...  Vetta is STILL top of the heap in my world.

Everyone else can donate their Vettas to me if they don't want them anymore!!

New New Line 6 Gear_a.jpg

Best of luck to us all and take care,

Neal

**non-Expert**

by MerlinFL on 2011-02-01 19:22:36

okanogeturk wrote:

Thank you very much, you both gentlemen for taking your time to share your experience and perspective. I do respect both ways and I well understand the different benefits and take the recommendations. On the other hand, I suppose the answer to the original question is; No, there's no real substitute for Vetta II. DT50 combined with Pod HD is the holy grail and on paper it is a similar approach as Vetta II being a Line 6 amp plus 2 POD XTs, great, but DT50 only itself is short in amp models and other stuff comparing to Vetta II. So it means for the ones who'd like to have one piece of equipment having all inside, there's no continuing Vetta II or a potential Vetta III.

I am wondering why Line 6 killed Vetta concept instead of keeping this type of user in mind, get this legacy further and come up with Vetta III? On the other hand I don't understand why everybody has to love tubes (this is for DT50 being shown as the new option instead of discontinued Vetta II on Line 6 site). Vetta II had a statement, specialty, character and it had its own type of user, buyer, including big big stage acts and respectable musicians. Why to stop it? Doh.

Anyways, again, with all my respect to the long time experience of both and as a result, priceless feedback. But I still don't understand Line 6's product policy on this.

All the best,

Okan

Holy crap - there is at least ONE other human being on the planet that sees this whole thing in the same way I do!!!!  WOW!!!!  Very cool and it's nice to read what you wrote.  I don't feel quite as alone anymore.

Take care,

Neal

PS - we've lost and the inmates are running the asylum.  Yeah, I'm exaggerating, but it's close enough for my purposes.

PEACE TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!!

by phil_m on 2011-02-01 20:31:43

Just to clarify, neither of us said anything negative about the Vetta itself.  I actually think it was a great product that was ahead of its time in many ways.  I think, though, it was probably just more complexity than what most guitarists want in an amp, or even a whole rig.  As far as training salespeople, that is not always an easy thing to stay ahead of.  I believe a lot of music stores have relatively high turnover, and there are a lot of products competing for a salesperson's expertise.  So even if a salesperson is trained one month on how to use the Vetta to the best of its ability, there's no guarantee he'll be there next month.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-02-02 03:57:49

MerlinFL wrote:

Wow - I've got all the experts lining up against me, eh???  LOL  I love a challenge!! 

Has anyone given a thought about the p!ss poor marketing of the Vetta amp, the p!ss poor knowledge of ANY sales person selling a Vetta amp

But - since I'm not an Expert according to the tag not under my name, what the heck to do I know in comparison to all the Experts??

Oh good lord, Neal.  Nobody's lining up against anyone.  Feel persecuted much?

Fact is, I've seen exactly 2 Vetta's on the sales floor of all the Guitar Centers I visited.  And truth be told, the last one I saw was almost 4 years ago, and it was in a GC in a large metropolitan area.  So it'd be difficult to imagine any sales associate to have great knowledge about it.  Add to that the fact that many GC employees can't answer your questions on almost any other piece of gear and you're right.  How could they sell them?  I contend that the buying public is far more educated than the sales people, and they made their choice regarding the Vetta.  It is a cool system, but at $1700 they probably felt they could get along better with another unit.

And what's the deal with the constant thing about not being an "expert"?  I don't know you from Adam, never interacted with you before that I know of,  but you appear to have a good bit of product knowledge and a pyramid of Line6 gear.  Nobody said you didn't know anything by comparison.  I was just relating a funny story a sales guy told me and you seemed to take it as an insult even though it wasn't directed at you.  Again...feel persecuted much?

by MerlinFL on 2011-02-02 13:03:49

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

MerlinFL wrote:

Has anyone given a thought about the p!ss poor marketing of the Vetta amp, the p!ss poor knowledge of ANY sales person selling a Vetta amp

Oh good lord, Neal.  Nobody's lining up against anyone.  Feel persecuted much?

Fact is, I've seen exactly 2 Vetta's on the sales floor of all the Guitar Centers I visited.  And truth be told, the last one I saw was almost 4 years ago, and it was in a GC in a large metropolitan area.  So it'd be difficult to imagine any sales associate to have great knowledge about it.  Add to that the fact that many GC employees can't answer your questions on almost any other piece of gear and you're right.  How could they sell them?  I contend that the buying public is far more educated than the sales people, and they made their choice regarding the Vetta.  It is a cool system, but at $1700 they probably felt they could get along better with another unit.

And what's the deal with the constant thing about not being an "expert"?  I don't know you from Adam, never interacted with you before that I know of,  but you appear to have a good bit of product knowledge and a pyramid of Line6 gear.  Nobody said you didn't know anything by comparison.  I was just relating a funny story a sales guy told me and you seemed to take it as an insult even though it wasn't directed at you.  Again...feel persecuted much?

I guess the LOL and the "I love a challenge" plus the devil face was not enough to give you a clue about my sense of humor??  As Spock would say from Star Trek..."Fascinating".

How is it that when I make a remark that is NOT to be taken seriously and as a bit of sarcastic humor, it IS taken seriously.  Conversely when I make a remark about someone, suggest something, or offer to help someone with any of the products I'm familiar with...more often that not...I'm NOT taken seriously??

I'm neither paranoid, nor do I feel persecuted at all.  Do you take yourself so seriously all the time?  I don't take myself that way most of the time.  Life's too short to be that uptight in my opinion.

As you correctly pointed out - we don't know each other, never spoken to each other, but here you & I are on the same thread for the first time and you seem to be getting my remarks all wrong.  Any reason for that?

Now onto the REAL subject being discussed here.

You've said that the reason the Vetta did not sell in your area was due to a combination of poor sales person knowledge because they don't stick around very long.  Very different from the retail stores in NJ where I came from where I knew all the sales staff, plus the entire management staff.  I even worked there part-time for Long & McQuade's ONLY USA retail store located in Parsippany, NJ from the late 70s through the mid 90's to get a better price on the gear I needed for my live performances and for my 4,000 sq ft music based business.  Owning and operating a pro recording and rehearsal studio in Morris county, NJ for about 16 years successfully.

I closed because I was relocating to where I am now in Ocala, FL.  A musical black hole among many others I presume throughout the country.  Quite the shock for me how clueless most are here, but I DID finally get into the scene down here and have been playing Line 6 gear exclusively starting with the Vetta amp since 2003.

However, I've personally taken it upon myself to educate all the musicians who might wish to know how the Vax guitars work w/o any pick-ups getting such an amazingly wide variety of sounds.  Plus all the different amp sounds coming from my Vetta combo.  Not surprising that NOT ONE of these guitar players knew a single thing about either the Variax or the Vetta.  All they knew about Line 6 was the Bean or the Spider.  I think this is a perfect example of the point I've been trying to make, but not having it taken seriously.

So if I use your example of the Vetta being too expensive and too complicated, then since the POD HD500 combined with a DT50 2x12 is about the same retail price.  No one is saying anything about these items deigned to work together being too expensive?  No one is saying much on here about how truly complicated the HD500 is to figure out with the advanced user's guide that has to be downloaded if you want it since it doesn't come with the equipment like in the "olden days".  How do you figure that why the Vetta did not sell has anything to do with being complicated if the HD500 is selling well?  The DT50 by itself is not complicated at all, HOWEVER, you CAN NOT access ALL of it's functions in a performance environment UNLESS you buy one of the POD HD pedalboard.

And this is superior to the Vetta how exactly from this point of view??  You also HAVE to either play in places that have A/C outlets in the front of the stage area, OR tote around an extra extension cord to power the POD HD products when Line 6 COULD HAVE very easily made the unit POWERED by the DT50 if someone chose to combine the two.  But nope - more corner cutting by Line 6 and this is forward thinking how again?  Heck, the amps don't even have corner protectors on them AND extremely thin Tolex covering which scratches up much easier than any of it's preceding amps...Spider, Vetta, etc.

Fascinating to me how many Experts or others without that tag under their name do not see what I see, or think like I do.  Perhaps the ones who do think as I do already have bailed and are no longer part of this - overall - very wonderful Line 6 community?

So Karl - please chill and please do not think that I am truly feeling like the "Expert" tagged people on here are truly ganging up on me.  Just take a look at how many "Expert" tagged people wrote something after I did and perhaps you'll begin to understand why I wrote what I did in the first place?  Ever see so many Experts wrote something one after another like this before?

Be well and take care,

Neal

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-02-02 16:02:37

Weird things happening in the forum vortex.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-02-02 16:36:46

I know the Vetta II very, very  well and found it to be a fantastic piece of gear - absolutely awesome.   But the HD500 + DT50 takes things in a bit of a different direction.   It's a bit like Microsoft moving from DOS to Windows, at first Windows  was just a graphical front end for DOS but the operating system and the  way people use that system has changed dramatically.

The  HD500 is complicated, yes it's more complicated than the Vetta, but  there are more things you can do with the HD500 in terms of effects  placement, footswitch assignment and all the MIDI control goodness.  The  use of the PRE models with the DT50 is a huge change in the way in  which the gear works when compared with the Vetta II.  Of course,  accessing and changing additional features will require additional  knowledge.

Along  with the ongoing production of the Spider amps and the POD X3 series  came very loud SCREAMS from the user community for Line 6 to get back to  producing some high end professional grade gear.  The POD HD500 and  DT50 most definitely fit more closely into the pro level gear definition  and are really not bedroom gear for the shred kiddies.

Line  6 have catered for the needs of users who are not interested in all the  extra functionality and subsequent complexity of the HD500.  I have  noticed that there are new HD500 owners who would be far happier with  the HD300 or HD400.  I have no idea why anyone would buy the HD500 and  then complain about the complexity of it when there are the HD300 and  HD400 products available.

Just  like when moving from DOS to Windows, users had to learn new ways of  doing things.  The same is true with the HD500 and DT50 combination.   There will be some people who prefer to stick with the old system longer  than others, that is true with any technical product.

I guess the points that I'm trying to make here are:

1. If  someone prefers to stick with the Vetta II, that's great for them, go with it and don't waste time or money on the HD500 and DT50. 
  2. If  someone wants the new modelling, but not lots of added complexity or a  steep learning curve, then the HD300 or HD400 would be a great option.
  3. If  someone does choose to get the HD500 and use it to its full potential,  then he needs to accept that with all that flexibility and potential  comes the need, responsibility and acceptance to learn how to use it.

Your  comment about not being able to access the functions of the DT50  without a POD HD is completely incorrect.  You can switch between the 4  topologies, the 2 classes, pentode/triode, channel A and B as well as  change all the knob settings in real time - all of this can be done  using any MIDI controller (including the POD HD or FBV MkII) or  automated in a MIDI sequence without the guitarist having to touch  anything.  Anyone with sufficient expertise in MIDI can quite easily achieve this.   This is not documented, I have not read how to do this in any manual  and therefore it would not be something that is supported by Line 6.   But, I am sure that I am not the only person on the planet who is doing  this, the more technically minded musos and certainly any competent  studio engineer out there would be doing this too.

I'm not going to publish a "how to" on this because this is one of those  things that should only be done by people who know how to do it.   Inversely, those who don't know how to do this, really shouldn't even  try.  Please refer back to  point 3 above.  The fact remains, however,  that it can be done.

I personally try not to ever state something that is fundamentally incorrect  while, at the same time, ascerting a high degree of expertise or  experience to to support that fundamentally incorrect statement.

Cheers,

Crusty

by MerlinFL on 2011-02-02 23:48:01

Sorry Crusty - I completely forgot about using MIDI to access those functions.

I thought people were still trying to figure out how the MIDI thing worked in both the DT50 and separately with the POD HD line?

Many apologies for making a statement that was flawed.  I still think it would have just been such a simple thing for Line 6 to make a pedal optional for anyone who just wants the DT50 and does not have MIDI or any other fancy connectivity device.  I just figure if something CAN be simple, why not MAKE it simple?  Just my opinion as always.

Thanks for the correction.  I didn't read everything else you've written at nearly 3am, but I did wish to apologize for making a blanket statement that was incorrect.  NOT what I typically do.

Take care,

Neal

PS - I'll read the rest of what you wrote later today.

by MerlinFL on 2011-02-02 23:49:03

duplicate message deleted..

Message was edited by: MerlinFL

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-02-03 00:03:57

MerlinFL wrote:

I still think it would have just been such a simple thing for Line 6 to make a pedal optional for anyone who just wants the DT50 and does not have MIDI or any other fancy connectivity device.  I just figure if something CAN be simple, why not MAKE it simple?

What I mentioned about the HD500 vs the simpler to use HD300 and HD400 also applies to the DT50.  If users want to have quick and simple "point and shoot" access to different amp tones, then they should consider a Spider amp or Spider Valve amp.  The Spiders are simple to use and the user has quick and easy "plug and play" access to the amp with the FBV MkII.

Line 6 DO make a pedal option I can simply program the FBV MkII to control the DT50, there's nothing fancy about it and it is simple.

If a user thinks that configuring a MIDI device is too fancy or difficult then that user should seriously consider a Spider amp and leave the Pro level gear to the pros.

Cheers,

Crusty

by johnnyayyy on 2011-03-12 11:10:51

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

I know the Vetta II very, very  well and found it to be a fantastic piece of gear - absolutely awesome.   But the HD500 + DT50 takes things in a bit of a different direction.   It's a bit like Microsoft moving from DOS to Windows

This is a perfect analogy, Vetta is to DOS as HD/DT is to Windows

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

The POD HD500 and 2 DT50s put the Vetta II to shame.

Bingo.

Crusty_Old_Rocker wrote:

the DT50s with POD HD500 gives you... much better quality of tone.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

MerlinFL wrote:

if you are just getting started into Line 6 amplification, I WOULD recommend going the way Crusty explained.  Get a POD HD500, and whichever DT50 makes the most sense for you and your physical needs or wants. 

Agree!

okanogeturk wrote:

I am wondering why Line 6 killed Vetta concept

Probably because it wasn't selling. And it probably wasn't selling because it didn't really sound great.

okanogeturk wrote:

I don't understand why everybody has to love tubes

Because they really sound great.

TheRealZap wrote:

the vetta will not even come close to the dt50....

Agree!

MerlinFL wrote:

Has anyone given a thought about the p!ss poor marketing of the Vetta amp, the p!ss poor knowledge of ANY sales person selling a Vetta amp, AND most importantly, how Line 6 let it become and STAY that way??

Don't forget the Vetta's "eh..." tones seriously, that must have had a lot to do with the poor sales.

phil_m wrote:

Just to clarify, neither of us said anything negative about the Vetta itself.  I actually think it was a great product that was ahead of its time in many ways.

I agree with this also. Brilliant concept, tons of flexibility, I bought one thinking with all the things it could do the sounds I wanted just HAD to be in there somewhere... it was an expensive lesson.

phil_m wrote:

it was probably just more complexity than what most guitarists want in an amp

I recently bought an HD500, it is at least as complex as my Vetta... the biggest difference is when I plugged in the HD500 it immediately sounded GREAT. Every amp model sounds killer, every model is 100% usable with zero tweaking ( I am talking about the amps themselves, not the crazy factory presets - though even most of the presets I think are much better than people are saying in this forum if used for the right playing style and with the right guitar) . A little tweak and it is even better. A bunch of tweaking and... WOW.

In the Vetta's case I fought with and tweaked the thing forever just trying to get decent, usable tones and that is exactly what I ended up with - decent... usable... "eh..."

If there is a truly great tone hiding somewhere in a Vetta I have not heard it, neither from mine nor from anyone else's Vetta anywhere.

I still have my Vetta - I am still not sure whether to keep it and use the HD as a front end or sell it and buy a DT. Leaning toward sell...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.