These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-59 with a Ghost LB63 Floyd?
by tightropetom on 2011-01-31 12:49:26

Ok here's where I'm at. The only one of the new Variaxes that I like the look of is the JTV-59, but for some reason they don't offer a Floyd Rose-type option. The other models are f-ugly in my opinion and I can't imagine myself with one around my neck. The JTV-69 is just odd looking and the Tyler headstocks are not the nicest looking either.

Sooooo...

What I would like to do, is to maybe install a ghost system (floyd rose type) into a JTV-59.

How does that work with the anatomy of the guitar? Is it likely to be possible to drill space for a floyd rose system (I'd be sending it to a luthier to do it for me) or is there a circuit board running through the back of the guitar in that area, preventing such routing/drilling? I can't see myself buying the hardtail version, I like the look, but not a fan.

I'm not too bothered about warranty issues at this stage, just thinking outside the box. If not an option I'd probably be considering transplanting...

RE: JTV-59 with a Ghost LB63 Floyd?
by Kneehow on 2011-02-03 16:50:35

None of us here in Support have the sort of design knowledge to provide you a definite answer.

My guess is that it "could" be possible, but obviously some routing and component accomodation might be in order. We've never answered questions about modifications from the Support team because they're not really considered as supported actions.

As a musician, it would seem possible because the JTV69's come with the option of a vibrato system. It might be easier to find a used Variax 300/500/700 on eBay and transplant the electronics into a favorite host guitar of your choice with whatever hardware configuration.

Sorry that we can't really offer you a whole lot here. Modification to a stock guitar isn't a part of product support... hope you can understand that perspective.

Regards,

L6Perry

P.S. Feel free to post this inquiry again, but don't mark it as a "question". That way, you can keep the conversation open with other JTV users.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.