These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Jam

mp3 jack only playing one channel
by Force2BRW on 2009-04-19 13:03:58

Hey, I've had the spider jam for a while, and I really like it.  However, it always sounded a little empty when I had my iPod or computer connected and was playing songs throught the mp3 jack.  I found out just recently that it has only been playing music from the right channel of the 3.5mm stereo jack.  I even tried to use a stereo to mono plug converter, but it still won't play the right side.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not.  My friend has a line 6 bass amp, and when we use his mp3 jack the music sounds fine, but it just sounds empty when I play it through my spider jam.  If you could help me I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Re: mp3 jack only playing one channel
by joegillespie on 2009-04-19 13:32:42

The CD/MP3 input is stereo but is mixed down to mono within the amp because the Spider Jam is basically a mono device. If you connect the two RCA ouputs on the back to an external stereo hi-fi or PA system, you will get stereo as the two channels are passed through. What you need to do is to cheack that both the R and L channels are coming through to the RCAs. If not, you may have a faulty jack socket or cable.

by Force2BRW on 2009-04-19 15:05:38

I tested the channels using audacity to play just right and just left audio.  The audio played out of both my right and left speakers separately on my computer, and the 3.5mm cable we used was fine.  I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the jack, because even when I used a stereo to mono jack switcher, no audio was picked up (and normally the mono channel will be the left channel).  Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you

by joegillespie on 2009-04-20 00:42:43

"Is there any way to fix this?"

If it was me, I would use a pair of long-nosed-pliers to bend the contacts on the socket - or replace the jack altogether (if it was one that could be bought in an electronics store). If you aren't experienced with doing this kind of work, then you will have to take it to a service center.

by Force2BRW on 2009-04-20 09:56:57

Is there any sort of service center you would suggest?  Thank you for all your help

by ricksox on 2009-04-20 15:14:29

Hi,

You can locate a service center near you by filling in your zip code at the following link.

http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/

Line6Miller

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.