These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: FBV MkI / MkII Controllers

Creating Banks with FBV Shortboard MkII
by seannowell on 2011-02-02 13:10:52

i'm a horn player who's used fx pedals for years.  i'm trying to go all software by using ableton live 8.

i need seperate banks for various tasks:

Bank 1: Harmonizers

Bank 2: Delays

Bank 3: Ring Mods

Bank 4: Loopers

Pedal: Wah Wah

I've figured out how to map buttons A, B, C, D and others to turn on and off tracks and fx, set loops, etc....

i need to create seperate banks that i can use all the same buttons for, but with that bank's unique functions.

ex.  Bank 1: Button A - Harmonizer / Bank 2: Button A - Delay / Bank 3: Button A - Ring Mod, etc....

so far all i've been able to do sucessfully is set up the buttons as:

Midi CC / Bank Change / Port 1 / and then different channels for each button 1-11 / then whichever function for the button: single/toggle/momentary.

i'm open to suggestions!

-sean

http://www.seannowell.com

Re: RE: Creating Banks with FBV Shortboard MkII
by Kneehow on 2011-02-07 15:55:44

Hi Sean,

Sorry you probably won't be able to do a categorical template based on the information you've provided above (but I defer to Ableton Live Support to clarify whether Live 8 allows users to create "Banks" of their own customized Plug-In effects). I'll try my best to clarify why:

The Bank Up & Down switches operate differently when you connect the FBV Shortboard MKII to one of our Line 6 compatible amplifiers via the CAT-5 connection.

In this mode of control operation, the FBV's Bank Up/Down switches allows the user to jump to the next or previous bank of preset channels. Typically in one of our amps, this will follow the convention of Userbank #1-9 with 4 channels a piece (A-D). So you could jump from 1A to 2C, for example with two footswitch taps: Bank Up and then the "C" channel switch. When using this setup, the user can "organize" their sounds accordingly, but this data is stored in the amplifier's memory.

The problem lies in the fact that you're using the FBV Shortboard MKII as a software MIDI controller via USB. In this manner of operation, the Bank Up/Down switches are just like any other footswitch on the controller... the fact that you see the Bank Up/Down labelling has nothing to do with the actual functionality of what you assign the switch control assignment from within the FBV Control programmer program.

Bank 1 has no meaning to the FBV itself: it's simply a physical switch that can only be assigned one MIDI control parameter (CC, PC, MTC, etc. with whatever behavioral value such as Momentary, Toggle, etc. that you assign). The destination program that will receive this MIDI message won't see it as a "Bank" switch. It will simply see the MIDI CC#, the type of switch with whatever value (000-127) for Minimum or Maximum states.

The only possibility is whether you can setup the software program to create said "Banks" that you're hoping to control. I'm not sure that you can create your own "banks" of Plug-In effects... that's something one of the Ableton Live techs would know.

But if it's possible, you'd have to find a way to group all the Plug-In effects into a "Bank" within Ableton. If this is possible, perhaps the Bank Up/Down MIDI assignments on the FBV MKII could "cycle" through said Banks? But the answer lies within Live's capability to do so.

Hope this answer made sense to you.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: Creating Banks with FBV Shortboard MkII
by jlegler on 2011-02-20 19:43:00

I needed the same thing and was able to accomplish it with max4live with pretty minimal effort.  My patch looks kind of insane, but it only took me about an hour to put together and I am sure it could have been done much easier by someone who knows max/msp better than me.  I basically take the midi CC messages from the Shortboard and convert them to banks of midi notes.  It gave me 15 banks of 8 notes and then a couple of buttons that always send the same message.  I also mapped my volume and wah pedals to do different things on each bank.  You have to set up your pedal to send CC messages and you could customize it however you want. 

To get this particular patch to work I set all my switches to Momentary mode on channel 16, port 1 with the following mappings:

Function 1  CC 22

Function 2  CC 23

Bank Up     CC 20

Bank Down   CC 21

A           CC 28

B           CC 29

C           CC 30

D           CC 31

Tap         CC 32

Stomp       CC 24

Modulation  CC 25

Delay       CC 26

Reverb      CC 27

Pedal Wah   CC 11

Pedal Vol   CC 07

Pedal 2             Unassigned

Toe Switch        Unassigned

Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 7.40.23 PM.png

Max with live allows you to do some incredible things with midi that ableton and line 6 never really intended.

If you have max4live you're more than welcome to try it out.  If you need a hand with it let me know.  I'm still just learning, but I've learned quite a bit writing a mapper for this pedal as well as my old ddrum4 drum kit.  The actual patch will show you what bank you're on and what midi note on the keyboard is triggered when you press the button.  I put the buttons in Momentary mode so that the note on and note off messages would be sent in case I wanted to be able to hold down the switches to get certain behavior (delays feeding back or whatever).  I hope this is helpful.

FBVShortboardConverter.amxd.png

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.