These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Jam

SD Card
by rickk6 on 2011-02-02 13:50:01

Spider Jam's "Erase SD-Card Recording" does not work.  Says there is "No Rec in Line 6 Folder" even though I do have recordings on the card and have downloaded them on my computer.  The only way I can clear the SD-Card is to Format it.  I  was advised to reinstall my Flash Memory (2.09 Firmware) due to cracking noises on recordings.  I downloaded the 2.09 version (which I already had in my Jam) and transfered it to my SD-Card.  When ready to install in Jam I get a message that says "Firmware not found in Root Directory" although I do have it on my SD-Card.  How do I fix this?  Could I have a bad SD-Card?  

Re: SD Card
by Buy-a-Fender on 2011-02-02 14:06:37

possibly

have you gone through this information?

http://www.joesjamblog.com/save2.html#sdcards

href="http://www.joesjamblog.com/save3.html">http://www.joesjamblog.com/save3.html

by rickk6 on 2011-02-02 14:18:41

Yes, I've read thru JoeJamBlog.  I've downloaded ver 2.09 from line 6 and transfered file to sd card.  Apparently amp does not recognize firmware on sd card.  The other problem is amp won't let me erase recordings on sd card.  Only way to remove recordings on sd card is to format the card.

by Buy-a-Fender on 2011-02-02 14:23:49

have you tried formatting the card with the Spider Jam?

from the Advanced User Guide:

It’s best to start out with a new 1 GB or 2 GB SD card. If you have an existing card, that’ll work fine, but make sure you’ve backed up any saved files on the card first, because when you format your card, all your files will be erased. The main reason to format your SD card is to ensure your card is set up with the JM4 filing system. It’s also a good way to get a fresh start in organizing your sessions. To format your SD card, follow these steps:

Insert an SD card (up to 2 GB) into the SD card slot on the Spider Jam rear panel.•

Press the •

SAVE

button; you’ll see a list of menu items in the LCD.

Turn the wheel and navigate to •

Format Card

, then press the R Arrow to format.

Press the Up Arrow to confirm "•

Yes

". The format process will take a few seconds.

by Buy-a-Fender on 2011-02-02 14:27:33

if you are trying to reinstall FW.BIN make sure ther eis absolutely nothing else on the card

Once that is done then reforamt the card with it in the SJ

That should make a folder on the SD card where the recordings will be placed. It almost sounds like your recording are getting on the card but not where the SJ wants them to be

If all else fails hang on until Joe chimes in here and see what he has to say

by rickk6 on 2011-02-02 14:34:19

I've formatted the card numerous times in the Jam.  I even formatted the card with the ver. 2.09 in it and transferred the firmware once again to the sd card.  The Jam still does not recognize the firmware.  I love the Jam but with all the miserable sounding cracking noises on my recordings and now this attempt at trying to correct that by reinstalling the flash memory is becoming a real pain.  Last time I phoned Line 6 support I wait well over 45 mintues for a tech and lost connection once in the process.  Not fun!

by Buy-a-Fender on 2011-02-02 15:13:24

sounds like you're doing all the right stuff

have you tried a different SD card?

by joegillespie on 2011-02-02 15:19:24

The Spider Jam is very fussy about the brand and size of SD cards. I have not had problems with any brands but I do know some people who have. A SanDisk 2Gb card always seems to work. Sometimes, you need to run the formatting procedure multiple times (10 is not unusual). Then you copy the FW.BIN file to the SD card and run the MD5 Checksum utility on the file on the card to make sure that no corruption has taken place.

Anyway, to address your first problem, not being able to erase files. If the files you copied from your computer (into a LINE6 directory) on the SD are not of the correct spec, the Spider Jam will not recognize them

WAV, Mono, 16bits, 44.1Khz. If you have stereo WAV files or MP3s, it will not work. Also you have to be aware of the 8.3 filenaming convention used in FAT16 file system, for example, SDCARD\LINE6\FILENAME.WAV is a legitimate path SDCARD\SOMEOTHERFILENAME.WAV is not.

by rickk6 on 2011-02-03 08:43:50

Apparently SJ is fussy.  It must be my PNY Optima 2GB SD card.  I just read a few reviews on Amazon that this card has problems.  Guess I'm one of the lucky ones to purchase the wrong card.  It sure would be nice if Line 6 would advise which cards to buy or include the card with the amp.  I'm willing to pay more for a sd card just to avoid problems like this.  Joe, I've done all you've said.  I really appreciate your website and have followed your instructions but the Jam still fails to read the FW.BIN file from the card. 

The downloaded FW.BIN file passed the MD5 Checksum test and I've formatted numerous times but still the Jam reads "Firmware Not Found in Root Directory." 

I've not copied any files from my computer.  All recording files are from Jam in the appropriate Wav, Jam, bits etc.   Once I download a recording from Jam to sd card the Jam will not then erase the recording as it says "No Rec in Line 6 Folder."  Only way to delete the recorded file in sd card is to format the card which I've done dozens of times.  Oh well, I'll just buy another card. 

by rickk6 on 2011-02-03 08:46:46

No, I'll just buy another card and hope that it does the trick.  Guess it's trial and error when it comes to purchasing the correct card.  Would be nice if Line 6 would advise which cards to buy or include one with the SJ.    Thanks for the help though. 

RE: SD Card
by Line6david on 2011-02-03 15:29:50

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems updating the Spider Jam.

The card that we use in the lab is a Sandisk 2GB SD card like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Standard-Memory-Canon-PowerShot/dp/tech-data/B000VR1TGQ

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: SD Card
by rickk6 on 2011-02-04 12:31:45

Well that's a great price.  I already ordered from Amazaon the SanDisk Ultra II 2GB for $12.  Hope that works.

by bobadler on 2011-11-17 13:21:54

What a bunch of crap. Does it really need to be this hard to get a stupid SD to work.

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-17 13:23:07

this is your first post... we have no idea how hard its been for you....

why don't you start your own post and then we can help make it easy for you....

by bobadler on 2011-11-17 13:34:29

With all do respect I dont have to start my on post, my problems are exactly the same a countless others on this board. I have spent this afternoon trying all the remedies that the fine folks on this forum have suggested, to no avail.

What I cant figure out is, clearly this problem exists through multiple equipment platforms and has now for quite awhile. Why has Line6 not been able to come up with a clear remedy to these problems. Better yet why were these products released in the first place.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.