These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by thisjanuary on 2011-02-03 03:50:39

Okay, I use a Focusrite Saffire and my POD X3 on my iMac, through Pro Tools 9. I only have the POD connected to authenticate POD Farm, I don't make use of the POD as any kind of audio interface.

Pro Tools 9 is getting confused with there being more than one audio device (particularly as I only have the POD switched on when I want to track guitars, probably 30/40% of the times I boot Pro Tools) -- changing the default Hardware Engine to the POD when I don't want it to, etc.

I've spoken with Avid support who are checking into the issue but are thinking a possibility may be that the POD's drivers are coded to position it at the top of the list of devices when it's detected (i.e., when I turn it on).

Is there a way I can completely disable the audio device, while leaving the machine still able to detect the POD to authenticate the plugins? I've not been with OSX all that long either so if there's an equivalent to disabling it from the Sound panel like I could in Windows, that'd be good too.

Re: I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by thisjanuary on 2011-02-03 08:19:52

Alternatively, if this cannot be achieved, I assume I have absolutely zero hope of Line 6 converting my license to one I can use with just my iLok connected, and discard the ugly bean altogether?

Re: I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by thisjanuary on 2011-02-05 15:30:10

Bump. What's the normal wait time for an L6 response here?

by silverhead on 2011-02-05 17:49:50

Line 6 tech support staff do not monitor this forum on weekends.

by silverhead on 2011-02-05 17:54:43

In Pro Tools, can you configure its audio system to use the Focusrite device and not the X3? Most DAWs will let you select/specify your default ASIO device.I guess one view (Avid's) is that the Line 6 driver should not try to impose itself (if, indeed, it is). I guess another view is that the DAW should support default device selection.

Assuming that the default is the X3e driver, are you able to easily change the selected device to the Focusrite as/when required?

by silverhead on 2011-02-05 18:00:39

thisjanuary wrote:

Alternatively, if this cannot be achieved, I assume I have absolutely zero hope of Line 6 converting my license to one I can use with just my iLok connected, and discard the ugly bean altogether?

You probably can't transfer, but the money you get by selling your Bean will more than pay for your iLok Pod Farm license.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-06 03:03:54

The fact that I'm not always booting Pro Tools with the POD switched on seems to be causing the issue. I don't always track guitars, and since the POD gets pretty hot and it's under my desk as opposed to on it since I have no need of its controls, I don't like leaving it switched on all the time, waste of power / etc. If Pro Tools detects it after it has previously not detected it (i.e. if I have used PT without the POD connected previously), it puts it at the top of the list and it overrides the device setting for all sessions, new and existing. Avid are looking, but are still fairly sure the audio driver for the POD is what's causing the issue, that it effectively "re-positions" itself as my default device whenever it's switched on and connected to the Mac.

I can change the hardware engine back and forth, yes, but I shouldn't have to. It defaults the POD to the default Hardware Engine, meaning that every single track I create in that session will output to the wrong place, and take inputs from the wrong place, so even if I do change the engine back, every track still needs manually setting to the Focusrite output where my monitors are connected.

In terms of selling the bean, there's no way I'd make back the silly $299 needed for the iLok license, the Bean itself was around £250 brand new here in Britain and it won't sell for that on eBay or wherever. If I wanted to get an L6 employee to look this case over and evaluate whether I could have my current license disabled and a new one activated for my iLok, is there a way you / I can flag this case for them to check? I appreciate your help and suggestions, but guessing that isn't a decision you can make, and I'm fairly strongly against companies abandoning customer support in favour of asking unpaid users to do it for them (i.e., Avid, too!)

by silverhead on 2011-02-06 07:08:48

thisjanuary wrote:

...Avid are looking, but are still fairly sure the audio driver for the POD is what's causing the issue, that it effectively "re-positions" itself as my default device whenever it's switched on and connected to the Mac..

Again, another way of looking at this is that Pro Tools is letting itself get pushed around. After all, it's the DAW that's in control. It's PT that's deciding to put the last-used device at the top of the list. Why doesn't PT just allow you to define your preferred default device rather than assign the last-used as future default? Finger pointing by Avid is just trying to deflect your complaint to Line 6.

As for the license transfer - you're right. I have no influence or control. All I know is that Line 6 policy doesn't support it. You can try your luck with both Line 6 and Avid. My guess is that they will each bounce you to the other as the originator of the inconvenience. And after all, that's all it is - not a technical restriction/limitation.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-06 07:11:33

I realise your loyalties will (for some reason) lie with Line 6 and so you're inclined to say that Avid's software is responsible, but the POD should not think it can be the default device. I'm not interested in being shoved around between two companies, neither of whom bother to pay their tech support staff, I want an answer. Let's hope one of the Line 6 staff gets on the thread.

by silverhead on 2011-02-06 07:14:40

I don't have any particular loyalty to Line 6 - I'm just trying to be objective and point out that there's another way to look at it. Of course Avid is going to deflect you if they can, and if you want to accept the one-sided view that's your prerogative. But, really, it's Pro Tools that's in control here. The X3 can't becomne the default device unless Pro Tolos lets it.

Peace, and good luck.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-06 07:16:20

Would you have any advice on the actual question? Can I disable the POD as an audio device / sound card and just use it as the dongle?

by silverhead on 2011-02-06 07:28:59

I thought your later response indicated that you could - that it's just a matter of inconvenience in resetting your active audio device in Pro Tools.

I guess the question is this: If you launch Pro Tools with only the Focusrite connected (at which point it will be the soundcard), then connect the X3, and then launch Pod Farm - what happens? Does Pod Farm recognize the X3 as the authorizing device while Pro Tools continues to recognize the Focusrite as the audio device? If that works I think that's your best methodology. If it doesn't then I don't have any other suggestions.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-06 07:32:34

Alas, no, it seems POD Farm 2 needs the POD switched on when you launch the DAW, meaning it's going to take over audio engine responsibilities.

I have no use for the POD as an audio device, so hopefully one of the L6 staff can tell me how to disable it.

by silverhead on 2011-02-06 07:34:49

Sorry to hear that doesn't work. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-09 08:25:05

How do I get one of the Line 6 staff to answer this question? Presumably this is the only means I have of contacting them?

by silverhead on 2011-02-09 08:27:18

Try the Contact Us button at the foot of this page. You'll find a phone number there.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-17 06:58:35

Still waiting on a Line 6 staff member to answer this question..

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-17 07:19:13

i'm 100% positive this can be done... most likely just a preference setting in your OS.

this was common for pro-tools users of previous versions, because you couldn't use other audio interface anyway.

you will of course have to have it turned on etc....

the real trick is just telling your OS what interface to use.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-17 07:22:41

There aren't any specific OSX Sound settings that relate to this in entire the Audio/MIDI setup, the Sound properties, or indeed in apps like TinkerTool and Secrets which open up hidden settings. I've been trawlin', believe me

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-17 07:28:05

you can use this:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Server_Admin_Tools_10_5_5

(without having a server)

to set and disable soundcard choices per user account.

so i've read... have not done this myself...

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-17 07:33:55

How would that help? OSX sets the sound card correctly, it uses the Saffire for my OS audio, and I have a simple AppleScript to switch that to the Internal Speakers on my iMac whenever I want to use Pro Tools while also using other audio from the OS (so they don't conflict).

This won't affect Pro Tools.

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-17 08:00:01

i thought the problem was that the x3 took over as your soundcard?

if thats not the case... then there really isnt any problem.

by thisjanuary on 2011-02-17 08:07:49

It takes over as the hardware engine in Pro Tools, not my OSX Sound device. There definitely is a problem.

RE: I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by ricksox on 2011-02-18 12:40:02

Hello,

I had our test department look into this and they couldn't replicate the issue but just to be sure, I want to make sure we have an accurate recipe here.

Please let me know if this sounds like an accurate description of what you are running into.

Recipe:

- Connect POD X3 via USB to Mac

- Connect Saffire to USB? Firewire? to Mac

- Launch Pro Tools 9

- In Pro Tools got to Hardware Setup to set up the Saffire to be your main I/O device.

Result is that you cannot select this product as your main I/O device inside PT's UNLESS you disconnect the POD X3?

Is the Saffire a USB or Firewire device?

Is your iMac an iCore iMac?

Line6Miller

Re: RE: I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by thisjanuary on 2011-02-18 13:44:03

Nope, this isn't right.

If I have both the Saffire (which is a Firewire device) and the POD X3 (which is a USB device) connected when I launch Pro Tools 9, the POD X3 sets itself as the default Hardware Engine (i.e., the audio device being used) in Pro Tools. I have to manually reset this to the Saffire every time I open or create a session inside Pro Tools.

The problem isn't that I cannot select the Saffire, it's that the POD is "jumping the queue" and positioning itself as the default device, when it shouldn't. Avid have suggested that it's possibly an issue with the Line 6 Drivers for the POD, and Apple have suggested very little (as expected).

It's one of the latest iMacs, a Core i7, running the latest 10.6 (10.6.6 right now).

Ideally what I'd like to do is have the POD simply not exist as an audio device, I'm not using it as such and don't really ever intend to be. I'd like it to function just as a "dongle" to allow the authorization of the plug-ins. Failing this, is there a way to get the POD X3 license disabled, and a new license for my iLok 2 issued (which would solve the problem)?

Thanks,

RE: I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by ricksox on 2011-02-18 14:10:30

Ok I see.

I'll pass this info on to our QA department and see if they can replicate. I'm not sure if they were using a Firewire device which may make the difference.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: I want to disable the POD audio device, but keep it connected for authentication of POD Farm 2
by thisjanuary on 2011-02-19 14:22:01

Just replying to this to prevent it being auto-closed..

by ricksox on 2011-03-09 09:42:28

I've just followed up with our test department to see if they have had another chance to look into this. I'll report back when they respond.

Line6Miller

by Line6Tony on 2011-04-01 17:20:46

I wanted to chime in on this since it's been some time since we've responded.

After discussing with Engineering, our belief is that we'd be able to consistently be able to reproduce this issue if the driver was able to force itself to be the active driver in a DAW, regardless of if POD Farm was being accessed. We haven't seen others with this issue, so we also believe this is some sort of configuration issue with your system.

With that said, we'd like to know if you are able to see similar behavior with a different DAW such as Garageband, or Reaper which can be downloaded free. The thought is that if our driver forces its way to the top of the list in PT, it will do so with other DAWs, as the driver cannot discriminate between DAWs. If this does not happen, it is likely a configuration issue that we cannot help with. If it does happen with another DAW, I'll open a ticket for you to continue work to find a resolution for you. Please let us know the results.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.