These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV 59 is completely dead, silence, nothing, nada ...
by steele9999 on 2011-02-03 09:14:52

I'm sorry to report that last night I tried to use my JTV 59 and was not able to get any sound at all from it.  No magnetic pickups or piezo. I tried different cables and VDI connection and still nothing.  I had the switch issue with this guitar from early on.  I had been waiting patiently for the word on when the repair would be done.   In the mean time I was using it connected to Workbench to enable model switching.  It had been working fine the previous night.  I don't know what could have made it die completely but to be not even able to get sound from the magnetic PUs was alarming.

I was really looking forward to using the features of this guitar and had even purchased a POD HD500 to use with it.  At this point I am too afraid to risk having a dead guitar after the warrantee period ends.  I looks like it's back to Musician's Friend for this JTV 59.

Re: JTV 59 is completely dead, silence, nothing, nada ...
by mulvennk on 2011-02-03 09:22:18

Sorry to hear about this - I know how you feel. I too greatly anticiapted for months its arrival, and was looking forward to working with the JTV59 for years to come, but several issues made it pointless to go on. I returned mine to MF day before last. If, and when, some of these issues get resolved and, or another acoustic model (to replace the 700) comes along, I may try again.

by smcbarnes on 2011-02-03 09:26:05

I got an 89 from music123 (who's part of Musician's friend). When you return your guitars did you have to pay shipping back to them? The pickup select switch on mine is really loose and I don't like the over all feel of the neck and the reversed headstock. Thinking about getting a 69 too cause I'm more of a strat guy. Just hope I don't have to pay for shipping it back. Too bad they 69 reds aren't on sale anymore would've def pick that one up.

by steele9999 on 2011-02-03 10:18:09

Musician's Friend sent me a UPS return label (they pay). I have to drop it off at a UPS outlet or arrange for pick up.

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 10:44:38

It could still be a pickup switch problem I guess.

Does it power on when you turn on Variax?  Or is that dead too?

by steele9999 on 2011-02-03 10:59:47

I removed and reinserted the battery.  I got indicator lights for a full charge.  I tried conecting to workbench and it said it could not find the variax guitar.  I made sure all cables were good by connecting a conventional guitar.

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 11:01:17

Sounds like it doesn't even power up.  Does the backlight on the model knob turn on?

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 11:03:05

Since both mag and variax are dead, I'm inclined to think it's 100% failure of the pickup switch at this point.  Either that or a solder connection broke loose.

by steele9999 on 2011-02-03 11:06:28

The modeling knobs do have a backlight when depressed.

by zeddd on 2011-02-03 11:15:41

steele9999 wrote:

I'm sorry to report that last night I tried to use my JTV 59 and was not able to get any sound at all from it.  No magnetic pickups or piezo.

So sorry to hear about this. Must be very frustrating indeed.

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 11:15:50

Ok, so I guess it's possible that there's no signal from the pups, and possible that the switch just dropped out of the circuit.

by cubicalslave on 2011-02-03 12:10:09

Cool thanks for the info! Music123 sent me a return label and a killer deal on a blue 69! They rock!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna have to wait till around beginning of March but it'll be worth it.

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 12:11:41

What deal did you get?

by smcbarnes on 2011-02-03 12:19:41

by cubicalslave on 2011-02-03 12:21:56

The same deal as the CAR at MF the other day

by zeddd on 2011-02-03 12:29:12

cubicalslave wrote:

Why do I have the feeling that I've missed something?

by jenningsmusic on 2011-02-03 13:31:25

steele9999 wrote:

I'm sorry to report that last night I tried to use my JTV 59 and was not able to get any sound at all from it.  No magnetic pickups or piezo. I tried different cables and VDI connection and still nothing.  I had the switch issue with this guitar from early on.  I had been waiting patiently for the word on when the repair would be done.   In the mean time I was using it connected to Workbench to enable model switching.  It had been working fine the previous night.  I don't know what could have made it die completely but to be not even able to get sound from the magnetic PUs was alarming.

I was really looking forward to using the features of this guitar and had even purchased a POD HD500 to use with it.  At this point I am too afraid to risk having a dead guitar after the warrantee period ends.  I looks like it's back to Musician's Friend for this JTV 59.

This really is bad news. The only reason I liked the idea of having mag pups on a Variax was so if the electronics did ever take a dump, I could keep on playing. Another design flaw? I don't believe this shit.

by ozbadman on 2011-02-03 13:43:03

Well, that can happen on a "normal" guitar too. If the wire to your output 1/4" socket breaks guess what: you ain't getting sound.

by jenningsmusic on 2011-02-03 13:52:47

ozbadman wrote:

Well, that can happen on a "normal" guitar too. If the wire to your output 1/4" socket breaks guess what: you ain't getting sound.

We can only hope that's all it is!

Re: JTV 59 is not completely dead, Update
by steele9999 on 2011-02-03 16:18:53

Here is an update.  When I plug just the VDI cable into the POD HD500 I have full sound (mag & variax).  Nothing coming from the 1/4" guitar jack.  So at least the major still circuitry seem good.

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 16:33:46

Ugh.

So it's not just the switch that's broken, the jack connection broke too.  Sounds like your JTV is falling apart... 

by edstar1960 on 2011-02-15 02:46:27

Just out of interest - have you sent your guitar back?  Are you getting a replacement or are you getting it repaired?  Or are you bailing getting a full refund?

Thanks.

by MartinHines on 2011-02-15 04:37:07

steele9999 wrote:

Here is an update.  When I plug just the VDI cable into the POD HD500 I have full sound (mag & variax).  Nothing coming from the 1/4" guitar jack.  So at least the major still circuitry seem good.

Given this info it appears the problem is with the 1/4" jack connection.

by steele9999 on 2011-02-15 05:31:26

Line 6 has the guitar for the repair.  They are going to address this and the switch issue.   Fingers-crossed.

by pknoot on 2011-02-15 09:59:21

I had a very similar issue with my Variax 300; worked fine via VDI, nada through 1/4" jack.  It turned out to be the jack itself.  I called customer service and they sent me a new jack free of charge, which I then installed.  I don't know if they're still using the same jack design and manufacturer, but the one in my Variax was pretty cheap looking and did not have a very positive grip on the plug.  Definitely not something I would specify for a high-use connection!

by steele9999 on 2011-02-15 10:28:21

Thanks for the comment.  Someone had posted pictures of the interior of the guitar. It appeared that there is a circuit board attached to the jack (I could be wrong). I know that the JTV-59 will not get power from the battery unless the jack is inserted (or if it's hooked up to a POD HD...)  So it might be a little more than just the jack.  The jack seemed a little flimsy to me so I hope what they repair it with is a little better.

by pknoot on 2011-02-15 12:14:11

If I'm not mistaken, all Variax guitars have their jacks mounted on a circuit board (mine was); that doesn't help matters, because those components are typically not as beefy as the panel-mounted jacks that have been standard on electric guitars since the 50s.  The plastic body seems to deform under stress and the metal contactors go out of alignment.  Not a problem if you are interconnecting rack gear, big deal if you have a guitar and long cord in a live performance!  I feel it's a design issue.

You're right - inserting the plug will connect battery power to the internal guitar circuitry.  I would imagine that the magnetic pickups should not be affected, right?

by steele9999 on 2011-02-16 07:23:47

It did impact the magnetic pickups.  I have no output at all from the 1/4" jack

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.