These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-58 and Bigsby B7
by battydan on 2011-02-03 10:06:24

I posted this question a couple of weeks ago on the "Trem vs. Hard Tail" thread.  I haven't seen any replies, but I'm guessing it's a largely dead thread since the previous post to mine was from August.

Like many of the posters on that thread I'm trying to decide between the JTV 59 and 69.  I don't have the money to buy both and just return the one I like less, so I'm waiting for them to show up in any of the retail stores in the Philadelphia area so that I can try them out (however long that takes - I'm not in any hurry).  My final decision is going to be based on how the guitars feel and how their mag pickups sound, but I've got to agree with the idea that certain guitars, when being used for certain types of music (i.e. Strats with surf, Gretsches with rockabilly) pretty much NEED to have a trem.

Anyway, here's my question: would it be possible to install a Bigsby B7 tailpiece on a JTV 59, using the Tyler-designed tailpiece just as a bridge?  I'm mainly concerned with dimensions (is there enough space behind the Tyler tailpiece to fit the Bigsby?) and how the strings feed through the Tyler tailpiece over the bridge saddles.  Obviously you would have to drill holes in the top to secure the Bigsby, and I'm assuming that even a well-installed Bigsby won't offer the tuning stability that the JTV 69's trem bridge is supposed to.  But if you like the vintage Gibson styling of the 59, this would seem the way to go.  Thoughts?

Dan

Re: JTV-59 and Bigsby B7
by battydan on 2011-02-03 10:09:11

Oops!  Just realized my typo in the subject line.  Make that JTV-59.

by laelamiles on 2011-02-03 10:32:14

Just go with the 69.  You're swimming upstream with the 59.

by battydan on 2011-02-04 15:39:56

I'm hoping that by the time the JTVs start showing up in retail stores, that they'll have the issue with the pickup switch, plus any other glitches that turn up with the 59, sorted out.  I've been playing a Variax 600 for a few years now, so I don't need to be sold on the modelling concept.  It's still serving me well, but some of the new features of the Tyler combined with its overall higher quality really have me considering an upgrade.  Also, I love the modelled Strat sounds of the 600, but am not so thrilled with the Les Paul Standard.  That's why I'm really curious about how the mag pickups sound on the JTV-59.

Dan

by laelamiles on 2011-02-04 18:09:48

The mag pickups sounded very similar to the Lester model to me.

I felt they were unremarkable as far as pickups go.  Fine but unremarkable... especially based on my memory of what the last Agile I had sounded like.

I'm considering replacing the pickups with duncans, but I need a few weeks of play time with the 59 again before making the final decision...

Re: JTV-58 and Bigsby B7
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-02-05 02:48:57

You will get a terrible result with the modelled guitar tones.

The reason is the piezo pickups in the bridge saddles.  When operating a Bigsby trem, the strings actually move over the bridge saddles.  With magnetic pickups this works fine but having a string physically rubbing itself against a piezo pickup is going to be heard and the sound will be very loud and very nasty.

I would suggest you look at the Stetsbar bridge.  http://stetsbar.com/

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-02-05 02:50:01

Just keep in mind that any modification including swapping out pickups could impact your warranty.

Cheers,

Crusty

by battydan on 2011-02-05 21:51:54

In the back of my mind I was wondering if this would be a problem, as well as if there were any other major potential problems I'd overlooked.  I think this would definitely count as one.  Thank you.

Dan

by battydan on 2011-02-05 21:58:30

As far as the warranty - point taken.  I guess this might also explain why none of the actual Line 6 support staff have been too quick to answer this or other similar questions.  Again, thank you.

Dan

by shaker on 2012-05-24 03:27:31

I know where you're coming from Dan, the JTV59 definately needs a Bigsby!! I hate the look of the other 2 models

by anthonylee on 2013-01-03 08:56:14

I installed a Bigsby B7 on the JTV 59 It Fits right to the tyler tailpice with one slight problem the Bigsby on theright side has a front screw and it's to thick so just took of a few milileters with a dremil nice 15 minutes work till it slides under the tailpice. screw the straplock to hold the B7 string it and no problem.
No problems with the Models and great when using as normal electric guitar with shaller locking tuning machine heads
Gibson Burstbucker Pro Neck HumbuckerIM59A-NH
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n528/Anthonylee2010/DSC09205_zps75ba3119.jpg

href="http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n528/Anthonylee2010/DSC09201_zps46949e4c.jpg">http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n528/Anthonylee2010/DSC09201_zps46949e4c.jpg

class="r" style="font-size: medium; font-weight: normal; color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; text-align: right; background-color: #ffffff;">

by michaelfleming1 on 2013-01-20 12:48:08

Sweet with the Bigsby !!!

by toasterdude on 2013-01-26 13:10:10

Killer! I was looking into putting a bigsby on a JTV or an xplant but sort of dropped it after reading comments that said it would not work. I think Johnay did a bigsby on an older variax.

Looks killer as well!!!!! Congrats.

by anthonylee on 2013-01-27 05:43:09

Thanks

Got the bigsby B7, a month ago. Because this is a Variax modeler Guitar wasn't sure if it wouldnt fuck up the guitar . but it came out GREAT!!!

Changed the pickup's. The G&B Pickup's are O.K - the same that they put on the PRS (same factory).  But i wanted character. So changed the Neck to a Gibson Burstbucker Pro Neck Humbucker IM59A-NH  & in the Bridge a Seymour Duncan custom custom SH 11.(not in Photo,Yet.) & Schaller Locking tuners.
NOW ITS A GREAT GUITAR.

by Krontab on 2013-01-27 07:17:04

The guitar looks great! Without a roller bridge is their potential to wear down the piezo sensors and does it stay in tune with all of the friction points on the Tyler bridge?

by anthonylee on 2013-01-28 09:03:14

well as for the tuninig it stays in tune perfectly. as for the wear of the piezo...well its not a floyd, and the use of a bigsby is moderate.

by toasterdude on 2013-01-29 18:01:37

anthonylee wrote:

Thanks

Got the bigsby B7, a month ago. Because this is a Variax modeler Guitar wasn't sure if it wouldnt **** up the guitar . but it came out GREAT!!!

Changed the pickup's. The G&B Pickup's are O.K - the same that they put on the PRS (same factory).  But i wanted character. So changed the Neck to a Gibson Burstbucker Pro Neck Humbucker IM59A-NH  & in the Bridge a Seymour Duncan custom custom SH 11.(not in Photo,Yet.) & Schaller Locking tuners.
NOW ITS A GREAT GUITAR.

Since I am doing xplants of all my JTV 59s I will have 3 gutless bodies left over. Maybe I will slap a B7 on one of  those first to see how I dig it. The one that is currently gutless and at home is TSB like yours. Looks great!

All of my JTVs and xplants have Prails in em and planet wave locking tuners. I use mags and models at the same time on every patch so need versatility. P Rails are great at versatility. If I was going with just 2 humbuckers I would go lollar or WCRs.

I wish line 6 was less against customizing. These guitars rock and warrant being in a more unique axe. Life would be boring if we all liked the same body, finish, neck, pickups, tuners etc.

The next xplant to be finished is a LP from warmoth in purple flame top, with pearloid binding, pearloid p rails etc etc etc.

I did see a straight warmoth LP and neck on ebay and damn near bought it to do a bigsby LP. I am torn between doing that, which would require buying another donor guitar to raid the guts from, or just getting a goldtop p90 version and slapping a bigsby on that puppy.

I wonder what a tele with JTV guts and bigsby would be like. I have some older lrbaggs bridges or could buy a graphtec one. I guess they would work with a bigsby. Time to do some research.

by Krontab on 2013-01-30 05:10:13

Please post pictures. We would love to see them.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.