These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Is it possible to combine an UX1 with an extern (vocal) preamp?
by OctoberRust on 2011-02-04 08:03:51

Hi,

I want to record a condenser mic with my UX1; therefore I need phantom power.

I know I could buy a simple phantom power adapter, for example this one which costs about 30 Euros: Millenium PP2B.

But there are also cheap (vocal/tube) pre-amps which also provide phantom power. For example the Behringer Mic200 Tube Ultragain, which is just a few bucks more than the simple adapter mentioned before.

My question is: is it possible to combine the UX1 with an external preamp like this? I could imagine having to set 2 input levels could cause problems.

Thank you very much for your help!

Re: Is it possible to combine an UX1 with an extern (vocal) preamp?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-02-04 09:01:08

You can definitely do that.  The output from the preamp will be Line Level so connect it to the Line In inputs on the back.

Cheers,

Crusty

Re: Is it possible to combine an UX1 with an extern (vocal) preamp?
by OctoberRust on 2011-02-04 09:34:25

Thank you very much!

Would there be any difference when recording the same (condenser) mic with both possibilites because of their different UX1 inputs?

external preamp ---> UX1 Line Input

phantom power adapter ---> UX Mic Input

If yes: what difference and why?

I'm wondering if buying an adapter or a very cheap preamp is the better solution.

Does the UX2, which features phantom power, provide a better sound than the UX1 with a phantom power adapter?

My recording setup is on a very small budget but I want to make the best of it. Thank you very much for your advice!

RE: Is it possible to combine an UX1 with an extern (vocal) preamp?
by ricksox on 2011-02-08 14:33:16

The external preamp will most likely change the sound of your mic signal by warming it up a bit which is not a bad thing at all.

In my opinion, if you can get an external pre with phantom power then go that route.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Is it possible to combine an UX1 with an extern (vocal) preamp?
by kc45 on 2011-10-15 21:10:42

Hi I also want to buy an external mic preamp to use with the UX1. Would it be possible to run a dual mic external upreamp to the UX1? I wanted the option to record with two mics simultaneously. I am a newbie at recording so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, KC

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.