These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Rookie looking for a starting point
by michaelryanjr on 2011-02-04 12:31:35

I just bought a UX-2 to learn how to record guitar for the first time by myself, at home and at rehersal. I want to capture two signals in two seperate tracks. I am splitting my direct signal from my guitar via aby switch. One is split to the normal instrument input on the front of the interface. My second is split to my Spider IV, and I placed a mic in front of my cabinet which I have going into the MIC 1 input also on the front of the UX-2. I tried the programs included with my purchase of the interface, and I couldn't route the signals individually and record to two seperate tracks simultaneously. I know that it's probobly me that isn't doing something right, but I could really use any help or suggestions since I have limited resources and funds to accomplish what I want to do. Thanks.

Re: Rookie looking for a starting point
by TheRealZap on 2011-02-04 12:37:20

to be any sort of specific, we'd need to know what recording software you are using...

also what exactly are you trying to accomplish? 2 different sources...`

or just the same instrument on 2 tracks... say one without effects, and one with...

by michaelryanjr on 2011-02-04 19:10:52

I am torn between softwares. I've tried Reason, Record, Riffworks T4, Ableton Live, and Audacity. I am trying to record one guitar onto two separate tracks. One a direct, dry guitar. The other, out of a half stack via placed mic. I couldn't route the signals from the UX-2 on any of the aforementioned programs. I'm probably doing something wrong, so any help would be appreciated.

by Apologist on 2011-02-04 21:47:18

I record using the UX1/Podfarm 2 and have Podfarm2 paths set to A=instrument input B=Mic1 input (Set in the mixer view): Then in Cakewalk when I set the audio track input I set one track for UX1 output A and a seperate audio track withinput source set to Ux1 B ... but that's using Sonar I am not familiar with these other DAW's sorry ... hope what I do with Sonar illuminates how it should work with other DAWs you are attempting to route properly.

by michaelryanjr on 2011-02-05 07:04:57

Thank you. I'll try this with a demo If possible. I didn't commit to a specific software program yet, but I'm willing to try any kind out there. I haven't tried Pro tools, Cubase, or Cakewalk yet. At the school that I clean at night, I have had conversations with the teachers and they have suggested the programs I previously mentioned. I really don't have an unlimited budget, but I know I am going to have to spend some dough on a quality, in-depth platform to achieve my goal. If anyone else has any suggestions on a program that isn't too high in the price range and is compatible with the UX-2, they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

by silverhead on 2011-02-05 07:56:01

Have you tried Reaper? Free trial period and then very affordable license fee for a very sophisticated product.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

by michaelryanjr on 2011-02-05 08:02:22

No, I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Much appreciated.

by Apologist on 2011-02-05 13:28:06

Reaper is capable of what I do in Sonar ... and it is free/cheap ... it should be capable of receiving separate signals from UX to separate tracks.

by michaelryanjr on 2011-02-07 18:13:22

I decided to use the Ableton Live Lite for Line 6 program that came with the UX2. Originally, I couldn't route the track inputs to do what I'm trying to accomplish. I then updated the 7 version to the 8 and I figured out how to route the inputs using the lessons that the program offered. Thank you for your inputs and suggestions. I appreciate all of your replies and comments. Again, thank you all.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.