These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

How would I connect a keyboard for MIDI functionality?
by CrispyGuitar on 2011-02-06 07:08:30

I want to connect a Yamaha YPT-210 keyboard to use it as a midi device for VST instrument plugins in Reaper. How would I connect this keyboard to use

it with a Studio UX-2?

Im new to MIDI so try to make the explanation simple.

Re: How would I connect a keyboard for MIDI functionality?
by silverhead on 2011-02-06 07:57:52

It's real simple - the UX2 is not a midi interface. You can't transmit midi commands such as note on/off from your keyboard through the UX2 to Reaper for recording a midi track, or for triggering a VST via midi.

You can send the keyboard's audio output through the UX2 to Reaper by connecting the keyboard output to the UX2 input - but that's all you can do with it. No midi.

by CrispyGuitar on 2011-02-06 08:15:13

So there is NO way possible to use the keyboard as a MIDI interface with the UX2?

Couldn't I connect the keyboards midi output to my computer through USB and then set the UX2 as my main sound card in the

control panel?

by silverhead on 2011-02-06 08:30:37

I'm not sure I understand. The UX2 does not handle midi, so you can't connect your keyboard to the UX2 as a midi device.

You can use the UX2 as your soundcard and connect your keyboard to your computer/DAW (not to the UX2) for midi purposes as long as you have the required midi interface to your computer.

CrispyGuitar wrote:

Couldn't I connect the keyboards midi output to my computer through USB .

How exactly are you making this connection? Your keyboard has a midi output jack (which is not a usb jack) - you need something to receive the midi data and communicate with Reaper. That something is called a midi interface. It is typically a seperate physical device that has a midi input to receive the data from your keyboard, and a usb output to connect with your computer and handle the midi communications with Reaper. So yes, if you have the required midi interface Reaper will happily communicate with your UX2 for audio and with your midi interface (and hence your keyboard) for midi data.

by CrispyGuitar on 2011-02-06 08:42:05

Aah, now I understand. Thank you for your help, I think I'll get an M-audio uno. That should solve it.

Thanks.

by silverhead on 2011-02-06 08:45:05

Yes - that should do it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.