These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

I'm so disappointed...
by Profartiste on 2011-02-06 17:46:19

I have a "Power Mac Dual" with tons of power and I can't have the "Driver" and the "Software editor" because it works only on Intel.

This is very frustrating !

Is there any way out, even if it's not the latest Driver and Software ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: I'm so disappointed...
by Rowbi on 2011-02-07 00:20:17

apple dropped support for your hardware, so any software developers can't really support it fully, because they have no back end support form Apple.  that's the simple answer.

if you buy into apple, then it will cost you money as you have to keep upgrading every few years to ensure software will work on it.

not much help, but that's the reason for it.

can you perhaps dual boot in windows?  will the windows driver work?

by stellapetrarca on 2011-02-07 00:39:40

He can't since Windows = Intel.

by Rowbi on 2011-02-07 01:19:17

fprudon wrote:

He can't since Windows = Intel.

ah yes... good point.

I'm not a MAC man, so it was just a guess.

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-07 06:40:06

afraid there isn't even an old driver that would help you...

PPC support was long gone before the new pod HD's were ever created, so there was never a driver for it.

you could probably get drivers for the pod xt/x3 line... but not the HD line.

doesn't help you any... but if you want to keep that mac, it throws some options out there for you.

by Tsmack218 on 2011-02-07 08:04:31

Get one of those little netbooks for a couple hundred bucks and use it soley for the HD500.  That's what I did and it works great.  The cool thing is, you can easily take in to gigs and such for easier "on the fly" adjustments.

Tim McDonald

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-02-07 08:15:10

The Netbook is a good idea - except that most have a resolution of 1024 x 600 and the editors require 800 pixels top to bottom and are fixed size.  Some Netbooks will allow you to over-size the viewable screen so you can use scrollbars to navigate, but most don't.

Nick

by Tsmack218 on 2011-02-07 08:59:38

Here’s a Windows 7 driver for netbooks with GMA 950 graphics that lets you adjust the screen resolution to 1182 x 864 pixels.  The driver is the GMA 950 Windows 7 driver version 8.15.10.1912.

Tim McDonald

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-02-07 09:46:11

Thanks - Idid try one before with my Dell, but unfortunately no joy.  I'll take another look - it would be useful certainly.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-07 19:39:51

How come : " Finale 2011 " is still supporting a : " Power Mac G5 Dual " and a little : " Editor/Librarian " can't be supporting it ?

I think that it should have been written " Up front ", on the box of the : " HD 500 ".

I found it out only when I was trying to load the Driver from : " Line 6 Monkey ".

Then, it told me : " It won't work ".

I still don't regret buying it because it is an exceptional piece of equipment, but I'm disappointed.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-07 19:45:57

I'm so spoiled with my big : " Power Mac G5 Dual ".

I don't want to work on a cheap little Laptop.

If I have to buy a $ 3000.00 laptop from Apple, then I might as well go for another tower " Intel Mac Pro ".

by desso on 2011-02-08 04:09:01

My oldest daughter is SALIVATING for a mac laptop (not even sure which one she wants).  I told her SHE'D have to buy it and I'm NOT relearning my computer skillz to support it either! LOL  Luckily she's been offered a Fellowship at Wake Forest this summer where she's now a sophomore to do reaserch into fresh water clams (BioMajor) and she'll be able to buy one.  Maybe then I can see what the hype's all about. 

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-08 05:36:01

mac's are decent... but nothing special anyway... the hype is just that... hype.

they are nice machines... really... i find them limited myself because apple just has fewer software options.

by Rowbi on 2011-02-08 06:51:55

Profartiste wrote:

How come : " Finale 2011 " is still supporting a : " Power Mac G5 Dual " and a little : " Editor/Librarian " can't be supporting it ?

I think that it should have been written " Up front ", on the box of the : " HD 500 ".

I found it out only when I was trying to load the Driver from : " Line 6 Monkey ".

Then, it told me : " It won't work ".

I still don't regret buying it because it is an exceptional piece of equipment, but I'm disappointed.

I understand what you're saying... BUT trying to support a platform that the manufacturer doesn't support any more is a recipe for disaster.  imagine if LIne 6 (in writing their driver for the G5) find a bug with OSX 10.5, or whatever the last version of OSX that supports G5 is... they wouldn't be able to ask Apple to fix that bug, because apple would say they don't support it anymore.  so if L6 has already said they'd support G5's, or the OSX that runs on it... they'd have sold something incorrectly.

I personally don't know exactly what L6 support with regards to G5's and OSX versions as I'm not a MAC man, but I do work in the software industry, and it is hard enough to get microsoft's or apples support as it is, so believe me, you would be more disappointed if they gave you a driver that has bugs and can't fix them.

the iss you have is with apple's lack of supporting hardware that's not recent, and this isn't the first time I've had this discussion in my life... THis is the main reason I tell people to not buy apple MACs... because Apple eventually costs you a lot more money in the long run.  that's not to say there isn't benefits to apple, and their known hardware platforms... but it's at a price.

I hope you understand this, even if you don't like it.  also look here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.htmlapple wont even support thr G5 with their latest OS...

Hope you can keep rockin though

Rowbi

by Profartiste on 2011-02-08 08:35:47

She'll be happy with a Mac. You can't beat that.

If not for Mac, everybody would still be using Floppies.

I'll probably spend the money to keep up with them.

They're so prolific and inventive. They're for Artists !

by Profartiste on 2011-02-08 08:39:11

I'm not talking about a G3 or a G4 here.

The G5 has been around for only 6 years.

Anyway to keep up with that wonderful and creative company : " Apple ", I'll probably shed the cash in the near future.

by evilbert420 on 2011-02-08 08:41:13

At least MS still supports Windows XP... not that I recommend anyone run XP anymore.

Apple doesn't support Puma, Jaguar, Panther, or Tiger, all of which shipped near XP or afterwards.

I've owned 4 Macs in the last 6 years... Powermac Dual, two Macbooks, and a Macbook Pro. Each one of them has died of hardware failure.

by desso on 2011-02-08 09:40:49

I like the fact that I can slap together a MOBO, memory, HDD, case etc. cheaply and easily and find software to do anything I need/want to.  From reading Recording and other music industry mags, Apple doesn't have the corner on the digital media world like it used to (especially since the release of Win 7).  I will have to say the president of one of my defense contractor plants has his whole studio based around a Mac and it's killer.

My daughter doesn't have a creative bone in her body ;-) she's pre-med, but if she is dead set on a Mac, I'm sure that's what she'll get.  And I'm sure I'll learn the OS.  (She doesn't have a tech/geek bone either!  LOL).  What is "Snow Leopard", anyway?

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-08 10:19:52

the one word of advice i'd give anyone considering a mac...

hope it really "just works" because dealing with them on a tech level is horrible.

but yeah... mac isn't the be all and end all it was once considered for "artists"

most programs of that nature have long since gone cross platform...

i mean... how can you ignore 80% of the market?

by litesnsirens on 2011-02-08 11:35:10

Ya, so Profartiste is still loving the Mac that he has had for 6 years.  That says alot.  I have only had mine for 3 and a half years and it boots up and runs just as it did the day I got it.  No spyware, virus or any other kind of protection on it so I don't have to wait 5 minutes after booting it to open a program which always happened on every PC I had since I needed to have anti-virus protection.  I certainly can't say that any PC I ever owned still ran as good after even two years as when I first bought it.  Eventually you will have to back up all your crap and do a re-format/re-install of the HD. Then you have to re-install all your software, it's a total PITA.   I used PC for probably 15 years before I switched over so I certainly understand the loyalty of PC users, but once you switch over to Mac it's hard to want to ever touch a PC again. 

It's not that much of a stretch to learn the operating system, spotlight makes locating files and apps a snap.  There are two or three apps that I use that are native PC so I run Fusion and can have both operating systems running at the same time without rebooting.

I would recommend to Profartiste to just get a regular macbook or just the 13" macbook pro if you need fire wire.  Either is going to be much more powerful than your G5 and it will last you a good long time and starts around $1000 (at least in North America).  It's not like Apple makes big changes like the switch to Intel all the time. 6 years is a long time to get out of a personal computer, and really for most of the stuff you do, you can still use it.  Just get the little macbook for protable stuff and newer apps that won't work on the G5.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-08 15:40:52

Finally, a guy who knows what he's talking about.

He had a PC and now he's got a Mac.

What I would suggest to others, who don't know what they're talking about and are just making stories about PC or Mac : " Go to an Apple store, and find out what you are missing ".

by silverhead on 2011-02-08 15:44:39

This religious argument is now more than 20 years old......... I am on neither side of it....... but I AM TIRED of it.

Oh - and I learned something:

"Knows what he's talking about" = "Agrees with me"

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-08 15:59:13

i do own mac's.... and i'm an accomplished IT professional... if you prefer someone tell you what you want to hear then why ask the question....

in any case... enjoy your closed operating system.

by desso on 2011-02-08 16:36:09

Go Android.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-10 18:32:14

Have you ever own a Mac ?

What kind of software are you using ?

Did you ever go to an Apple store ?

Are you an artist ?

by Profartiste on 2011-02-10 18:34:44

What do you use your Mac for ?

Are you creative or are you just a programmer or a tech ?

by Triryche on 2011-02-10 19:14:02

"Knows what he's talking about" = "Agrees with me"

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-10 19:28:08

i mostly just use it to see what the fuss is about, and to keep my skills at work up to date and versatile.

at home i use it for some web browsing and for some of the advanced tools/scripts available for working with my large itunes library.

all my creative stuff /recording... happens on my windows 7 pc.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-10 19:41:41

I've had mine for 6 years with no problems.

But I take very good care of my equipment, my software and my peripherals.

I am also protected by a huge APC battery.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-10 19:50:40

Please, no phrase that means nothing or insult others.

If you have a point to share in a nice discussion, it's gonna be helpful to everyone.

We're all adults who try to learn and be objective in our comments.

by Profartiste on 2011-02-10 19:56:43

If you use only little software, like ILife or Mail, etc... you won't see too much differences.

If you go with the big creative software, like : " Logic Pro, Finale, Illustrator, Pages, Keynote, etc... " ; that's where your Mac will really leave everybody in the dust !

by TheRealZap on 2011-02-10 20:02:59

i've used all of that and more... i was not impressed.... even the cross platform programs that i used such as reaper and ableton, were just easier to get around on a windows machines, as well as having many more plugins etc available...

the only point i have is that both machines accomplish the same thing...

i just prefer the options that i have on an open system like windows, as opposed to fewer options.

its not like any of ran poorly...it ran fine...but i've also had pretty sever issues with macs breaking,

and if you are out of warranty prepare to either replace the machine or have loads of headaches getting used parts etc...

by Jose7822 on 2011-02-10 20:39:12

The old Mac vs PC discussion still in 2011.  Gotta love it, especially when it comes from a person who owns a 2006 Apple system and has probably not touched a PC since!

Why do you think Apple uses Intel chips?  But I digress :-P

If you're happy on the Mac, then awesome!  However, it is ridiculous to suggest that Macs are the best choice for Artists...lol.

As someone said, there are more software options on the PC than there are on the Mac.  Going by this we could argue that PCs are more "creative".

But again, this is just a ridiculous statement as it has been proven many times that people can create amazing works on both.  Choose what works for you, and let the others do the same.

by casparello on 2011-02-14 13:07:11

The 11-inch MacBook Air for 999$ is just great – on tour.

What more can you ask for?

screen-capture-6.pngscreen-capture-5.png

by dawg2k5 on 2011-02-14 15:59:00
haha..........if you GAVE me a Mac, I wouldn't touch it.

by Profartiste on 2012-09-02 17:02:13

Hi guys,

I'm back and now I've got a : " Mac Pro Dual " ( 2.4 Ghz Xeon ) with 12 cores.

This should get me back on track.

I finally burned one of the G5 Processor of my : " Power Mac Dual ".

I'm still working on transfering my Data from the : " Power Mac G5 ".

It's very complicated and I've been working on it for 6 weeks. But I'm getting there.

I didn't have much help from the : " Apple store " in Montreal, on Ste-Catherine.

They told me a lot of lies but I'm gonna do it myself.

I got some good tips from : " Apple care " senior advisers, from some other : " Store techs " and by reading books.

Pretty soon, I'll install my : " Line 6 software " and I'll keep you posted.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.