These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Problem using Variax 600 with other effects
by edmaestro on 2011-02-16 08:25:12

I'm plugging my Variax 600 into the XPS A/B, then out the 1/4" jack into my amp via an effects box, namely a Boss GT-10. Using this setup, many of the GT-10's effect don't work properly, or at all. Would this problem disappear if I used battery power instead of the XPS A/B? Is there some other way I should set this system up?

Thanks!

Re: Problem using Variax 600 with other effects
by JellyWheat on 2011-02-16 08:35:38

It is very possible that the 9vAC @ 2000mA being supplied by the TRS output of the XPS is interfering with the operation of your pedal. You should be routing this effect through the effects loop on your amp, and not trying to insert it between the XPS and your Variax. If your amp doesn't have an effects loop, you may be stuck having to use battery power. [Line 6 amps are fully compatible with Variax, and model every desirable guitar effect known to man, BTW.]

Remember that if you are using the XPS to power your guitar, the battery pack should be removed from the guitar.

Regards,

JellyWheat

[PS: Check over your GT-10 carefully when you try it on batteries, and hope that you haven't fried anything by having applied a power source to your input!]

Re: Problem using Variax 600 with other effects
by edmaestro on 2011-02-16 09:59:10

Thanks, JellyWheat, for a helpful and informative answer.

It does take me by surprise, though, that the power boost should be coming out of the XPS output, since it's supposed to be going back to power the guitar.  Also, I've taken a look at the Variax 600 manual, and it clearly suggests going from the XPS 1/4" output and into effects boxes and then to the amp. That wouldn't lead me to anticipate getting my device fried.

But I will check out my GT-10 to make sure nothing bad happened to it!

Thanks again!

edmaestro

Re: (8>*}... I don't know where my head is at today!
by JellyWheat on 2011-02-16 10:07:18

If you are plugging the OUTPUT from the XPS into the GT-10 using a standard 1/4" cable, and then running the effect pedal into the amp, you shouldn't have a problem. Somehow, I envisioned in my addled brain today that you were trying to insert the GT-10 into the signal chain between the Variax and the XPS, in which case my prior observations would be valid.

If, on the other hand, the chain is:

Variax-->XPS-->GT-10-->amp

... then I have no explanation to offer about why some of the GT-10 effects might not be working. The only thing I can hypothesize is that the power supply is not producing exactly the voltage needed by the Variax board to operate optimally. I have had to replace a couple of brand-new XPS Minis because they were not putting out enough juice. Usually, the symptom of this is dropouts and wierd noises from the Variax, but - who knows - ... Perhaps the output signal from the XPS is not at a high enough voltage to conform to the GT-10's input stage tolerances for some effects, and hence the sporadic operation.

I'll let others with more knowledge and more active brain cells than I seem to have today take up this torch...

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

JellyWheat

by edmaestro on 2011-02-16 10:38:01

Yes, my chain is indeed:    Variax-->XPS-->GT-10-->amp

All the modeled sounds from the Variax are coming through perfectly.  It' just the GT-10 that's acting funny.  When I get home later (I hate having to work for a living!), I will fool around with different settings, such as using batteries instead of the XPS, using a different (boring) guitar, etc. and will repost with results.

Much obliged for your attention to this.

edmaestro

by JellyWheat on 2011-02-16 10:43:08

OK... amx05462 will be around this evening, and so will I for at least a little while. He will have some good ideas, and perhaps you will have been able to "zero in" on some detailed descriptions of symptoms that will take us all to the next level.

TTYL

JellyWheat

Problem solved: Bad cable!!
by edmaestro on 2011-02-16 19:36:28

OK, I had a bad patch cord going from the GT-10 to my amp, and when I replaced it, the effects sounded just as they should. I was able to get so many variations with the Variax models, my head is still spinning!

Jellywheat, thanks so much for your time and help.  Line 6, thanks so much for providing this forum!

Edmaestro

Re: Problem solved: Bad cable!!
by JellyWheat on 2011-02-17 02:44:54

Glad to help, Edmeastro, and gladder still that your problems are solved. It just goes to show that good cables do make a big difference in sound quality. I have learned not to scrimp on them in the studio, even though good cables cost a fair bit more.

Congratulations.

JellyWheat

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.