These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Transfer patch data X3 Live -> POD HD500
by starman on 2011-02-23 13:36:41

Hi

I bought a HD500 assuming it would be backwards compatible, has anybody written an application to convert patches from the previous gear so that they can run on the new gear or do we have to page through each patch and write down each setting on apiece of paper and then enter it all in manually.

Surely this can be automated.

Matt

Re: Transfer patch data X3 Live -> POD HD500
by starman on 2011-02-23 14:52:25

Also anybody else got any ideas on what to substitute, like I have patches on my X3 live with a 1993 Solo 100 Head, (just one example) I upgrade to the HD500, what should I substitute with .. any kind of "So you upgraded to a HD and want to know how to convert your sounds" sort of help file or thread would be handy ... or what is the consensus, is everybody just sticking with the old hardware?

by Octo777 on 2011-02-23 15:29:15

starman wrote:

Hi

I bought a HD500 assuming it would be backwards compatible, has anybody written an application to convert patches from the previous gear so that they can run on the new gear or do we have to page through each patch and write down each setting on apiece of paper and then enter it all in manually.

Surely this can be automated.

Matt

The HD is a 100% brand new system from the ground up for the most part which makes backwards compatibility with the older generation Pods impossible.

The HD only has 16amp sims anyway and these are unique to the Pod HD and don't appear on the older Pod's as far as I am aware. Thats just another reason of what I am guessing are a whole host of other reasons as to why its not possible.

by daveschutt on 2011-02-23 15:41:52

Hindsight is 20/20 but it's been said even before the product was released that it wasn't going to be compatible with the X3 because of the sophistication of the amp modeling.  That being said, this what I'd suggest...

If you have both units, hook them both up to your computer.  Open up Gearbox for the X3 and HD Edit for the HD POD.  Look at your favorite patches and try to appoximate the selections you have on your X3 patches.  As Octo said the amp models are different, so choose the closest you can for now and we'll get back to it.  Next get all your effects and save those set up just like the X3 patch.  Most are the same so that should be easy.  Then go back to the amps section and you may have to alter the cabinets and mic to find that amp tone you had from the X3 but I really don't think there is any sound on the X3 that can't be 95%-100% replicated on the HD series.

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-04 05:59:12

Hi, I bought a new pod HD500 and still had the old x3 live data (not the device, cause it was stolen); so, do you know if there´s a way to transfer the data to de HD500 or if, at least, there´s a way by which I could open the former files in order to see the presets (with Gearbox, ie?)

thanks for the reply a lot

Ignacio (from Argentina)

by dylantan on 2011-06-04 18:58:00

Try this --- http://line6.com/software/?name=Line%206%20Edit&submit_form=set.It might just work.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-05 02:41:06

Dylantan is on the right lines with his suggestion, but Line 6 Edit probably won't work for you unfortunately, however Gearbox v 3.72 will.  Go to the Downloads section above and navigate to the Gearbox installer file.  Download and install it.  It will run in off-line (no X3 connected) mode and you can work with your original X3 Live data files to retrieve settings.  They won't be identical on the HD500 but they will at least be a good starting point for you and you should be able to recreate something close to most of your gavourite tones from the X3 Live.

Nick

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-05 11:39:52

Thanks a lot for your reply; I already installed the Gearbox; on the other hand, I´ve the tones presets from the former line 6 x3 live, but how do I transfer those presets to the gearbox archives and then to the hd500?

thanks for your help, please be specific cause I´m not so go at this

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-05 11:54:00

Hi

You simply load the X3 Live tones into Gearbox and view the settings.  You cannot convert X3 Live tones directly/electronically to POD HD500 format.   You would load HD500 edit on your computer and run it at the same time as Gearbox and then you'd manually recreate what you can using HD500 basing the amp and FX choices and settings as closely as possible to those in your X3 Live patches.   Essentially you are making brand new patches.

Nick

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-05 12:27:44

But how do I get the x3 tones into my gearbox; I no longer have the hardware...

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-05 12:40:52

You said you had the data from the X3 Live.  The data I assume you have is the individual patches or a bundle of patches.  Simply use Bundle Open.  You won't be able to hear your original X3 Live patches obviously without an X3 Live, but you will be able to view the settings for each patch which is the point of the exercise and provided you can remember the names of your favourite X3 Live patches, I'm guessing you will also recall roughly how they should sound..  If that isn't good enough, you will need to borrow or buy another X3 Live to be able to hear your previous tones again

Nick

by vlkn on 2012-03-30 06:57:32

Thanks alot for the suggestion, but I recently tried this solituon, but Gear Box didnt work offline. I shall try again with new version of gear box. If there is a trick about that, please tell us how it will be ... 10x !

by silverhead on 2012-03-30 07:16:35

I believe Gearbox does not run without the X3 (or other compatible hardware device) connected. It does not run in offline mode.

by vlkn on 2012-03-31 14:10:34

yes, you are completly right about that issue. I tried everything. I could not find a solution for this issue. It's really annoying. I cant believe  Line6 did not release any solution for this problem. Every PODman wants to upgrade their unit and want to use ex-pod tones or similar tones for new pod. Its really sucks. Isn't it ? 

and  Nick, why don't you say something ?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.