These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Need some soldering assistance on a 300
by LeeWalker on 2011-03-02 03:16:24

Hi Guys

G Peizo has decided to go bad on me . This weeked i am going to resolder it just to see if it is a bad join, if it does not work i will be getting some graphtechs.

What i need to ask is, where to i need to resolder?

I have attached a pic as i believe this is the bit that is likely to have the bad join, i will be doing the following

1. Remove the strings

2. Unscrew the 5 screws holding the bridge down

3. Removing the bridge (still connected i guess

4. Look at the underside to hopefully see that the G join is a dfferent colour (dim)

5. If different i hope to add some more solder to the existing join (not too sure if i need to remove existing solder first)

Does this sound about right? on the pic i guess i am soldering at the top where it has the High E, B etc

Hopefully this is correct

Lee

Re: Need some soldiering assistance ...(8>*}... OK!
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-02 14:16:34

http://www.sofmag.com/

Here's a link!

JellyWheat

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-03 01:02:03

Ha ha nice one lol

by JellyWheat on 2011-03-03 03:14:28

Well, at least it generated a bit of action and kept the post from sinking... Not much danger of that, it seems, since the Great Blackout of 2011! Looks like most of our resident soldering experts (and we are blessed with a number of them) have fled to the hills.

You might want to search for posts by amx05462 on installing GraphTech pickups, or on post titles like "G-string pickup don't work"..

Good luck.

JellyWheat

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-03 04:36:40

I will have a look, i am sure it is the right bit, just wanted confirmation but i will check

Re: ₪X>¤}.... phew! I have just returned from the mountaintop where...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-03 04:49:05

... The Great All-Knowing One and Keeper of the Black and Red Pearls has revealed to us mortals this Wondersome Mystery:

• WM #13,241(b): "just tell him to look at  it   if its dull  it  could be  a bad  solder  joint .  wouldnt  hurt to reheat  it  and  add  a  tiny bit  of  solder.  ive  seen that before    and  had a few  people do this  and  it  fixed   the  problem. if that dont  fix  it  then    he  should  do the   contact  cleaner  bit   if that dont  work then its  new  pickup time."

Thus has he spoken....

Hope this helps.

JellyWheat

[Excuse me while I wash off these chicken entrails. Why the Great One can't just Google it, I'm not sure!]

Re: ₪X>¤}.... phew! I have just returned from the mountaintop where...
by LeeWalker on 2011-03-03 08:44:06

OK taken the plunge

Bridge off, disconnected clip and just re-soldered the 6 bits. The G didnt look dull though. I think that what i will do is give it a good spray with contact cleaner before i re-attach

Re: ₪8>*}.... o-o-o-o-o-h!
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-03 11:16:01

[drum roll...]

WHOOOOOOSH!

[...APPLAUSE!!!]

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-03-05 05:29:37

lee

spray the  pickup itself.   spray  around  it also

thats an old  guitar .  the  pickups   sit in the saddles.  there  grounded  by  contact  with the  saddle.  if this contact  breaks  or is weakened  by  corrosion    dirt    or  just the  natural oils  of  your  skin  you  have a weak grounding condition affecting  the circut.

if  spraying  the  pickup  doesnt  bring it  back  temporarily  then you  might want to consider  graphtechs.

there  is another  porblem  withthis   setup  .   when changing  strings    theres a potential  to  pullone  of the  pickup  wires  loose  or  out . if this is the case  theres  no fixing  it  you  have to  replace the  pickup. one  more thing  to check . be sure  the  other  end of the   pickup connecting  wire  is properly seated.

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-07 01:36:12

OK I did the soldering and gave it a good spray, put stringos back on and ........ same as before grrrrrr

Not too sure what i can do now to be honest, looks like a graphtech is the only thing that i can do now

I am thinking about getting it back to Line6, does anyone have any experience of getting these things replaced? I called them ages ago and they said that they would replace the pick up for me at a cost (i think it was about £30 or something) but i am not sure whether they would replace them all or just the broken one. If they just do the one then i guess it would be a false economy because knowing my luck they will all start to go.

Also, my soldering skills arent the greatest, is there a way of testing the connection without restringing and putting it all back together again or is that just the way it is?

Lee

by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 02:24:33

well when i  solder in  pickups on  any guitar   i just tap them   if i go from one to the  other  and  there all the same  level of  sound  when i tap then   then im good to go . this  applys to your  guitar as well. id suggest  you  practice  up on your  soldering  skills a bit then go for the graphtechs.

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-07 02:33:13

Cheers

Do you have a link to the pic of where the wires go from the saddles to the pcb? i have been looking and cant seem to find them, i thought that they were on vettaville somewhere but i cannot for the life of me find them now.

One more question though, on the 300, if i was to change to graphtechs, is all of the work done on the bridge?

Lee

by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 02:38:30

yes  to the  bridge  question.   as to the  pic   ill check for you tonight  im  getting  ready to hit the road to work. when i get  back in     ill check on my   other  hard drive.

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-07 02:42:37

Cheers dude

Re: ₪8>*}.... Just a suggestion:
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-07 03:04:13

You may want to start a new thread and MARK IT AS A QUESTION so that you can award amx some points in recognition of his help.

[I look on points sort of like "service awards" or "citizenship awards". amx says they are not important to him, but he keeps statistics on them, like major league baseball: batting average, number of posts, seasonal average, answers batted in, strike-outs, fowl balls, etc... If he says otherwise, he is not being straight up!]

JellyWheat

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-07 05:26:35

Ordered the graphtechs

by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 13:35:00

well im in a corner  and  theres  no  way  out.  ok  im on a points  diet.    i dont want  points.    points  shmoints.

ill say this  one  last  time.    no points  for me.   i want to remain in spurt  ville.  where all spurts  roam free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kck3TbiI1QQ&feature=player_embedded

these  are  my deepes   thoughts   on  points. pay close attention and    keep an eye  on facial  expressions.

by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 13:44:02

heres  that  pic

Re: ₪8>*}.... Excellency!... Did you not mean to say...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-07 13:52:06

PERNTS SCHMERNTS?

Just wondering, Great One!

JellyWheat

Re: ₪8>*}.... Excellency!... Did you not mean to say...
by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 13:59:05

yues  thats  it.   i  think i inhaled  some  bad  air.  see  my video.

and  how  are you this evening?

Re: ₪8>ɔ}.... Good evening, O Great All-Knowing One!
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-07 16:24:25

I think I shall spend the twilight hours in study and contemplation of the First Twelve Volumes of the Marvelous Wisdoms and Wondersome Mysteries. I am thawing out a package of frozen chicken entrails, which I will attempt to read before bed. Then I must break some more bottles and flourescent light tubes to "freshen up" my electrified hammock before I turn in.

These things allow me to sometimes partake of the same visions you are able to attain simply through the eating of sausage pizza, Excellency. I have not the Power of the Great All-Knowing Mind, as you do... Perhaps one day. [sigh] But time is fleeting, like wind that passes in the night!

J/W

Re: ₪8>ɔ}.... Good evening, O Great All-Knowing One!
by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 16:54:43

speaking  of  wind   did  you   catch   my   video  on  how i feel  about   points. ?  well   you  know  you  are  always  welcom   up  atop   the  mountain  my friend

Re: ₪8>D}.... Thank you for the invitation, Great One!
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-07 17:19:23

If I can find a good bat-sitter and WarbleMeister, I shall be sure to make the long climb to pay you homage!

Good night, O Great Wind of Winds!

JellyWheat

by amx05462 on 2011-03-07 17:21:11

you have a good  night too my good  friend 

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-08 02:31:54

Nice one amx thanks for the pic, makes it very clear what i have to do now.

One question though, you mentioned somewhere that when we/I am soldering, the pcb needs to be off the bridge, is this correct? and why and also how does it come off, is it secured with that extra screw at the back of the pcb?

Just curious as to why it needs to come off

Lee

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-14 08:30:09

OK Ordered the graphtechs, god only knows when they are going to arrive as they should be here already (grrr i have waiting for stuff).

One very quick question though

Once everything is soldered up, is there anywhere that the 'slack' of the wires has to go? What i mean here is when it is all fininshed there are 6 wires going to earth on the back end of the bridge, does it matter where they are when the strings are put in, from the pics i have see i can see that the strings are very likely to make contact with them.

Lee

by JellyWheat on 2011-03-14 08:35:29

Hi, Lee.

The Great All-Knowing One is on the mountaintop again. He's the one, however, that will have a practical suggestion for getting those wires tidied up and out of the way.

Best chant a few "uhnnng-GAHs" and await his advice. Have a good wait day.

JellyWheat

coming to you directly from the mountain top
by amx05462 on 2011-03-14 14:00:12

ok  heres  a scan of my  bridge

you can see    how  i hooked  it all up  when putting it  back on the  guitar  i tuck all the  loose  ground  wires  under   one  side  of the pcb  this keeps them  away from the  strings as you can see the rest of the  wire  will be tucked  behind  the   wires  that go back to the  main board.

௹฿>¤}...Thanks to the Great All-Knowing One for sharing with us mortals...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-14 15:12:57

... his Inscrutable Wisdoms and Wondersome Mysteries!

uhnnn-gah...uhnnng-gah... uhnnng-GA-A-A-A-H!

J/W

Re: ௹฿>¤}...Thanks to the Great All-Knowing One for sharing with us mortals...
by amx05462 on 2011-03-14 15:17:43

i do  what  i can

Re: ௹฿>ɔ}...You seem to be...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-14 15:30:03

... in fine fettle tonight, Excellency!

J/W

Re: ௹฿>ɔ}...You seem to be...
by amx05462 on 2011-03-14 15:35:50

a bit bushed  from     the  rock.

Re: ௹8>♨}...You saw a burning bush on the Rock, Excellency???
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-14 15:46:35

... I know of only one other who has seen such a thing, Great All-Knowing One!

J/W

Re: -oops-
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-14 15:47:04

delete duplicate post

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-15 03:13:59

Thanks AMX, you are a star

Hopefully these pick ups will arrive soon and i will be up and running again, god i miss my variax

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-18 02:33:35

Oki

Graphtechs have arrived, been re-reading the posts and i think i am cool on most of it now

One question though

On splitting the two wires once the end has been cut off (the blue and the silver), what should i use to cut these, i was thinking of a craft knife because the wire cutters i have a too big i think, does that sound ok? Not sure on this one

Lee

by amx05462 on 2011-03-18 02:46:26

i used  wire  cutters   between the two   wires. one  slip  with the  knife  and   the   wire  gets  cut off.  also your  possibly pulling  on the  wire.  suppose you  pull it too hard  and    pullit  otu of the  pickup. 

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-18 03:04:20

Will any wire cutters do? Not sure of the size i need for this

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-18 03:34:14

I found some little wire cutters, hopefully they will do the trick

by amx05462 on 2011-03-18 08:07:33

the little  ones  will do  . thats  what  i  used.  and  when you  strip the  ends  for  soldering the  easiest  way  is with  a  torch.  thats  what  i  did  . melted  right off  and  the  wires  were dead  clean. i removed  1/4  on the   positives  and  a  half on the blue  ones  so i could   twist them  together.

by LeeWalker on 2011-03-18 18:38:30

Started on the stripping, yes, this is a complete a*** of a job  but its theonly way

One thing that i have noticed though. The PCB is held on with a screw and a bolt on one side, this is a complete pain to get of, might have to saw this one as it is seized badly. Because i cannot get it off (i can untighten it a bit) i have noticed that there is some kind of rubberish tape on the underside of the pcb oppisite the screw bit.

I assume that the wires go through the slots in the bridge and then between the bridge and the pcb, does this rubber bit make a difference or can i take it off?

Help

Re: Julian Assange...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-18 18:46:03

LeeWalker wrote:

does this rubber bit make a difference or can i take it off?

Help

... asked the same question, once, and it landed him in a whole HEAP of trouble! [If you decide to take it off, stay away from Sweden!]

My $0.02/YMMV

JellyWheat

Re: Julian Assange...
by LeeWalker on 2011-03-19 01:54:29

Cheers Jelly lol nice one

Re: The Great All-Knowing One
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 04:04:06

... will doubtless answer your Qweschun by means of an Marvellous Wizdom once he is up.

[It talkes him a while to extricate his tough old hide from the points of the bed of nails on which he sleeps. Then it's the trek down the mountainside, the inconsequential morning pee on the Burning Bush, etc. Like I said... it takes a while!]

JellyWheat

Re: The Great All-Knowing One
by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 05:48:48

mine didnt  have  rubber  in there  chances  some of it are  in the  threads.   thats  whats  binding the    screw.  also on mine the  screw is  in the  hole in the middle .   unless   yours  is a different  rig.

send  a photo. mine  has  a tang  above the   look at the  photo i sent  you   the rubber  is  probably  insulation or  a   gap   spacer to keep the board  from grounding on the  bridge  plate. best bet  a  wrench on the  nut  plyers  on the  head of the  screw..  replace the  screw  when done.

id have  answered  sooner but  i  had one of them nails   stuck in the back of  my  typing  hand  and  couldnt  get  it  free.

Re: ₪฿>¤}...Excellency! Good Morning, O Great One!
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 05:57:27

I must hasten to inscribe Marvellous Wizdom No. 1 462 (b)(ii) on the Tablets of the Wondersome Mysteries!

I shall return forthwith!

JellyWheat.

Re: ₪฿>¤}...Excellency! Good Morning, O Great One!
by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 06:10:19

good morning  fellow  knight  of the  trapazoidal table.   how  are  you on this  fine  day?

Re: ₪฿>z}...I am cleaning the Trapazoidal Table so that I may use it to inscribe Marvellous Wizdoms on the Tablets
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 06:21:43

... but I must say, Excellency, that your reading of the chicken entrails leaves a great mess! Do you not remember the trick I showed to you about using the Window of Light and the Tray of the Clicking Tiles to search the Google engine? It would be much more sanitary and humane!

JellyWheat

Re: ₪฿>z}...I am cleaning the Trapazoidal Table so that I may use it to inscribe Marvellous Wizdoms on the Tablets
by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 06:33:25

well  as you may  know  the  window  of  light is covered  in nicotine  and   some stuff i coughed  up  when you last  told me a funny one.   and the  tiles  are  in a repair  in the  bathroom  i hesitate to tell you  what might be on them . let it suffice  to say .... there  are times    late  at  night    when  my aim is  not so good.

by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 06:34:06

btw  how do it goeth   with the  kings  english oh mighty  one?

Re: ₪8>c}... every time I try to practice the King's English, ...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 06:51:45

... the dodgy blighters from the other side of the pond seem to disentrunculate themselves from the conversation and go back to affixing scratch plates whilst they chuff!

[As far as I can tell, anyway... so my English can't be that good. Thanks for enquiring, anyway, Excellency. You certainly are a benevolent despot!]

J/W

Re: ₪8>c}... every time I try to practice the King's English, ...
by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 06:56:55

this is an  idea  of  how  we t alk  around  here.  car = caah

quahoag =  coehog. etc

http://www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=43

Re: ₪8>D}... every time I try to practice the King's English, ...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 07:04:43

That sounds like how we talked on the farm, 2 miles from the Vermont border!!!

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 07:13:49

yep its  really   new englandisms  but  some of them  are    local  to us.

ill have to look up the  one  for  new yawk that should be  good.

by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 07:16:57

well boyz  im headin out to da maaket. be  back  later.

Re: ₪8>D}... Bring us back...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 07:35:04

... a few dozen scuffles and some 7-UP!

J/W

Re: ₪8>D}... Bring us back...
by amx05462 on 2011-03-19 08:15:23

is  seven up still made.    i love 7 up.

Re: ₪8>D}... In the Great, Cold North...
by JellyWheat on 2011-03-19 08:32:37

... we can still get 7-Up!

M-M-M-M-M-M-M!

(URP!)

J/W

Update on my Graphtech Install
by LeeWalker on 2011-03-21 03:24:40

Hi All (especially AMX and JW)

Graphtechs installed and working i am most pleased to get my Variax back

Three things that i have noticed during this whole process though are

1. Splitting the wires on the graphtechs lick balls badly, horrid job

2. Putting it all back together is a complete pain as there are wires everywhere but I overcome it

3. They do seem to be a bit 'hotter' that the Baggs ones, not sure if this is good or not yet

All in all a great experience, and i certainly would not have been able to do this without the help from this forum

Thanks

Lee

Re: Update on my Graphtech Install
by amx05462 on 2011-03-21 13:29:43

good to hear  your  back in business.    you can tone them  down in  workbench if  you  want  to . me  i like  the  improvement  myself. good  luck  with it  be  sure  to pass  the  knowledge  on to  others. and  have  fun  with your   repaired  variax.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.