These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Stompbox Modelers / ToneCore

DL4 issue
by jamiescale on 2011-03-02 11:24:43

I have a DL4 that is behaving weird:

It starts out fine enough: I can hit presets on the delay model thats selected when i powered on and can save new presets under this model, but as soon as I turn the knob to go to another delay model, everything goes to s***.  The presets are not the presets I last saved for that model and moving the knob to other models doesn't help; those 3 (incorrect) presets pull up for all models from that point on.   So, basically its like GroundHog Day; everytime I turn it on I need to re-set all the presets.

The DL4 is in a pedal chain (not effects loop, altho previous owner may have), I have tried the factory reset and reseated the chip under that bottom plate...nothing.

Whats the reality here: should I just toss this in the trash and go get another pedal?  If so, I can tell you it won't be a Line 6.  I hear the Vox Time Machine is nice (and reliable)

This pedal is 2 years old and is already dead?  I've had some pedals for 20 years and they're 100% fine...this is unacceptable.

RE: DL4 issue
by Line6david on 2011-03-08 13:47:10

Hi,

Try a factory reset on the DL4 and see if it fixes the issue:

You can reset your pedal to the factory settings by powering it up with the A and D footswitches held down - the power is turned on and off on the modeler pedals by inserting a plug into the left mono input jack.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: DL4 issue
by jamiescale on 2011-03-08 13:53:41

David, not sure if you read my post: I've tried the "factory reset" w/ no luck.  I've also popped the chip out and popped it back in like folks have suggested w/ no luck.

I think its just that these pedals should are not solid and, as such, are an awful expensive gamble.  I'm going to get a Vox Time Machine.  It only does 1 type of delay (well, 2 actually) but it's bulletproof....My DL4 does 0 delays at present

RE: DL4 issue
by ricksox on 2011-03-09 09:06:06

Hello,

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and we respect any decision you make regarding your DL4 pedal.

If you'd like to have your DL4 repaired please contact a local authorized service center by clicking on the link below or call us directly at (818)575-3600.

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Line6Miller

by jamiescale on 2011-03-09 09:13:01

I called a few repair shops and was told it'd run between $80-150 for the fix.  And I still run the risk of the pedal failing again.  No thanks.  I'll take that $80-150 and buy something more reliable.

The DL4 will make a great door stop in my home studio.

Re: DL4 issue
by ricksox on 2011-03-09 09:15:48

OK. thanks for getting back to us.

Line6Miller

by BeauxEllis on 2011-04-28 09:01:00

lol... wow i must say i read through the whole post and was a bit surprised at line 6's lack of concern and solution to help remedy or compensate the issue.

note: i stumbled on the post because i just got my dl4 brand new in box and it didn't even come functioning. did a factory reset and atleast started getting some of the modeling to work and get different sounds. the main thing i notice that is off still though is on loop mode. it doesn't even make sense what its doing!

on hold waiting to speak to technical support now for exactly 20 minutes and 6 seconds. atleast i'm 1st caller in line now. started at 3rd inline. we'll see what they can even do. ---dishearting to pay 249$ and have to deal with this. i thought they claimed i needed this time to be making music?

cheers- beaux

by jamiescale on 2011-04-28 09:41:16

Welcome to the World of Line6 Beaux.    They'll just tell you to keep doing the "factory reset" which everyone knows doesn't fix this problem.

When their stuff works its great...but the fact that its a roll of the dice is unacceptable at this price point.

I replaced my dead DL4 w/ a Vox Joe Satriani Time Machine and couldn't be happier...It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the DL4 but does have one thing DL4 doesn't: reliability.   The DL4 does make a great doorstop tho.

by Kneehow on 2011-04-28 11:45:39

@ jamiescale: I completely understand your position and respect it (as a fellow musician). As an employee for Line 6, I'm sorry you feel that way about your DL4, but I understand... it's nothing personal. I do hope your new delay serves you well in your musical endeavors: I mean it. All the best, man.

@ BeauxEllis:

The "Factory Reset" is the only thing that an end user can try; if the issue stems from the internal software. Certain runtime glitches can be corrected by this action. This is really all we as Moderators can recommend on the Forums for users to try as far as troubleshooting goes.

If a Factory Reset does not change the symptoms, unfortunately the root cause of the issue is on the hardware level. At that point, there's really nothing else we can offer via typed instuction here that will correct the issue of your unit. This is why we direct users who have hardware issues to the nearest Authorized Line 6 Service Center (ASC) repair tech, because they will need to open the unit up, identify the component(s) that are problematic and replace them with new ones and re-test.

Two of our Moderators did offer the correct info previously, in the correct order of troubleshooting logic flow. What our company offers to users who've purchased a new DL4 from an Authorized Dealer is a 1-year Service Warranty period. If you unit experiences internal malfunctioning during that time frame, get the DL4 and a copy of your new product purchase receipt to the neareast ASC. At that point, the tech can diagnose and fix the hardware issue under warranty. If you're past the one year period, the manufacturer's warranty policy no longer applies and any potential diagnosis/repair costs are the customer's responsibility.

This is all covered in our company's Warranty Policy: http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4838

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.