These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Variax high E string Dead
by pnkfld64 on 2009-04-21 23:52:41

I have a problem with my high E string. It sounds very dull and I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this and, if there is an easy fix. I am under warranty but, I just don't want to ship it off unless I have to.

Re: Variax high E string Dead
by AndyParedes on 2009-04-22 11:18:24

Hello,

The piezo pick up in you instrument may be at a lower volume or beginning to fail.  You should try reflashing the variax to start with, and you can also try expermenting with different levels on the strings in the Workbench software.  If you continue to have problems, take the unit to a Line 6 service center for diagnosis and repair:

Factory Reset Procedures for Line 6 Gear

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4499

class="MsoNormal">Variax Troublshooting Tips

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3857

class="MsoNormal">

Variax Workbench FAQ

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4029

class="MsoNormal">

Line6Andy

Please be sure to award Helpful and Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers!

by
forresal on 2009-04-22 13:28:58

Does the suspect string have any static, phasing or warbling sound?

If so, I'd bet its a dying piezo.

Just for troubleshooting, I'd do what L6 Andy suggested.  I'd also try spraying some compressed air on it.  I've had a piezo dying on my VA700 and opened up the back of and sprayed a little air on it....that worked.  Disclaimer though, my VA700 is long out of warranty....what I did may void some warranty provisions.

Also, try calling L6 directly and let them know of your problem and the distance to your nearest service center.  My local service center was being an a$$ wanting over $150 to service the guitar....after a call to L6 they sent me a replacement piezo - FREE.  Again, since I'm out of warranty I have no loss to do the easy solder job to replace the piezo.  If you've done some soldering before, the whole replacement can take about 20 minutes.

F

by pnkfld64 on 2009-04-22 22:16:40

So, it's possible that the pick up is failing after such a short time? Maybe just a  bad solder or failed pick up from the beginning? If so, that's a shame. I'll do the reset and then move on to a service center. I am far too sloppy with a soldering tool. Don't want to fry something.

I forgot to add that it sounds the same as when you have a bad set up and the string goes dead from hitting a fret. Guess I should have put that in to begin with.

by chameleonsmark on 2009-04-22 23:46:41

Hi, I had the same problem for a while, it seems that the previous owner of the guitar had damaged the connection when changing the string, which apparently, unless you're careful when you change them, can sometimes happen. I had to send the guitar to a Line 6 registered engineer for repair and it's been working fine ever since.

Good luck with it.

by pnkfld64 on 2009-04-23 00:25:22

Thank you for your input! I think I have an answer. I'll flash and, if that fails, i'll to to the service center. I found one only 25mi away. Sorry to bother! I've looked around and see that my post is really a duplicate of a few others. Thanks for helping and not scolding!!! cheers! This is a pretty cool community.

*** That was the answer! I re flashed the 600 with current software and, the string is just fine. I'm so happy about that. I was convinced it was a problem with the neck not the electronics. Just thought I should say so in case anyone with this issue stumbles on this page. Thanks to the people who took the time to help me!!***

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.