These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: GearBox

CPU fan on constantly and USB/Guitar Port start-up problem
by orkodan on 2011-03-06 08:24:47

Everytime I use Gearbox my cpu fan turns to full wack and thus making it all noisy this doesn't happen when using my recording software with lots of different tracks or guitar rig; plus everytime I turn the computer on I need to un-plug my guitar port then re-plug it for it to work.

Any ideas?

RE: CPU fan on constantly and USB/Guitar Port start-up problem
by Line6david on 2011-03-07 10:42:49

Hi,

Are you updated to the latest drivers from our website?

http://line6.com/software/

What other devices do you have connected to your computer besides the Guitarport?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: CPU fan on constantly and USB/Guitar Port start-up problem
by orkodan on 2011-03-07 12:05:24

Everything's up to date and I only have a webcam and a wireless internet adapter attached

RE: CPU fan on constantly and USB/Guitar Port start-up problem
by Line6Hugo on 2011-03-08 09:00:05

Whether the fan turns on or not is a function of your computer's own support system as the fan is there to cool down the system when the processor is being taxed. From what you describe, it sounds like your system needs the fan to keep the computer from overheating using our software, but this doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

As for unplugging and re-plugging the Guitarport, I would recommend testing all of the USB ports on your computer. We DO NOT support putting your computer to sleep or standby while the hardware is connected as that could interfere with the driver. So I recommend disconnecting if your MUST put your computer to sleep or standby, but you should be able to leave it connected if it is powered off/powered on.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: CPU fan on constantly and USB/Guitar Port start-up problem
by craigl6 on 2011-03-08 15:42:46

Most likely Gearbox is using an unnecessarily large percentage of your CPU power which is a problem many of us have been enduring for a long time (no fix has been provided in nearly a year, see all the posts in this forum about this).  Your CPU fan has to then run at full speed to try to compensate and to keep it from overheating.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.