These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

EQ for Dummies
by jholmgren on 2011-03-06 16:54:47

I've been using the HD500 through a FRFR powered PA speaker, which sounds fantastic. However, at louder volumes the higher range notes start to sound pretty biting, and I'm quite sure it's simply a matter of some quick EQ adjustments to make it sound better.

I want to use the EQs from the HD500, not external. I have no problems using any of the other effects in this unit, but the EQs are clear as mud ot me when diagnosing and fixing EQ issues in a guitar setup.

1. Is there an EQ for Dummies type of tutorial anywhere that shows the concepts behind getting rid of some of the shrill frequencies?

2. Are there any good explanations of the built-in EQ models in the HD500? I've looked through the Advanced Guide, and to be honest generalized descriptions like "Low Mid" "Low Pass Q" and "Q" really don't do someone like me any good at all. Once I know what the common troublesome frequencies usually are, and the corresponding controls in the Pod, I'm sure it should be easy to adjust my signal.

Re: EQ for Dummies
by SStiv on 2011-03-06 17:51:30

Thank you for asking this. I am interested in hearing some feedback on this topic as well.

by SStiv on 2011-03-06 17:58:12

You might want to repost this in the main user discussion forum rather than the support forum though.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-03-07 00:20:50

I just did a quick Google for Understanding EQ and the first thing to pop out was this http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul01/articles/equalisers1.asp which should give you somewhere to start.

Sound on Sound is a good magazine aimed at recording musicians in the main, and these guys talk a lot of sense usually.  They also have a forum on their Web site here www.soundonsound.com

Re-posting your question in the Line 6 Lounge as already suggested should attract plenty of attention I would think

Nick

by rodney13 on 2011-03-07 01:10:14

Have a look on the net for a subject about Fletcher Munson theory it may help you in some way.

by scotchtape800 on 2011-03-07 09:33:53

Great question.  Let me preface everything I say by: I'm no expert.  My 10 year experience has only included: Zoom GFX-8 (2000?), Fender Twin red knob, Johnson JM60 modelling amp, Vox Tonelab SE (2009).

Everything just keeps getting better.

EQ is one of those mystical things that no one has a really good write up of but one of the best things to do is just MOVE THE KNOBS.

Eventually your brain can map out what does what, obviously the pros are way better at it too.

In terms of a clinical explanation, I don't know if there IS one, playing with the EQ is all dependent on the SOUND... since it's always different depending on speaker set up, room etc... it's difficult to nail down.  The other problem is, there doesn't seem to be any good examples of "GOOD EQ".  I wish there was something out there that said, HERE IS A GOOD SOUND, TRY TO GET THIS.  That would make it so much more helpful... right now it's like trying to hit a target you can't see!  What the heck is good sound?

RE your question about the highs: I read somewhere that as the volume gets louder, those treble frequencies start to really hurt your ears.  So if you know you're going to be cranking it, you need to roll of those highs.  Ice picks in ears.  Just the way it is, different settings for different volumes.

You can look up a lot of those terms online... But a lot of them refer to the "shape" of the EQ curve...

For example, check out this site: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=144

It really helps with graphs, but graphs don't necessarily translate to sound, so the best way is to just sit there and fiddle the knobs because these words won't translate to sound for you

Even though I have general idea of how to manipulate the sound curves graphically... without having a "sound" to aim for, it's challenging...

by jholmgren on 2011-03-07 16:15:47

This was my fault for askng two questions in the same post.

The first post asking general EQ questions would make a good post in the general discussion area, but the second question definitely belongs in the support forum, and has been asked before... http://line6.com/community/message/207148#207148

Are there any good explanations of the built-in EQ models in the  HD500? I've looked through the Advanced Guide, and to be honest  generalized descriptions like "Low Mid" "Low Pass Q" and "Q" really  don't provide very much information.

Have there been any information release notes explaining ANY specific information on what frequency information "Shift %" and "Q" percentages translates to?

Re: RE: EQ for Dummies
by Kneehow on 2011-03-15 15:18:10

I have some info that might be helpful to you. Here are the actual values for frequencies that you're probably looking for:

MID Focus EQ

High Pass (HP) Frequency: 20 to 500 Hz

HP Q: 0 to 100%*

Low Pass (LP) Frequency: from 500 Hz to 18 kHz

LP Q: 0 to 100%*

Gain: 0 to 24 dB

Parametric EQ

Low (Low Pass Shelving Filter): -12 to +12 dB

Highs (High Pass Shelving Filter): -12 to +12 dB

Freq: from 45 Hz to 4.5 kHz

Q: 0 to 100%*

Gain: -12 to +12 dB

* Q is a ratio between the center frequency and the bandwidth, when bandwidth is the range of frequencies where the filter is attenuating (decreasing) the signal less than 3 dB.

Hope this helps.

Re: RE: EQ for Dummies
by jholmgren on 2011-03-15 18:25:08

Line6Perry -First off - Thanks for the response. It's greatly appreciated.

I understand what you're explaining, but this is the part I still don't understand (and I don't think I'm alone in this).

Let's say I want to use the parametric EQ, wanting to adjust the frequency between 3k and 4k. How can I do that, given the controls available?

1. I want to set the frequency I'm affecting, and I know that you've told me that the frequency goes from 45Hz to 4.5kHz. However, the only way I can adjust this is to use the FREQ knob, which only shows percentages. I have no way of knowing which percentage value will give me a center frequency of 3.5kHz for adjustment.

2. I realize that "Q is a ratio between the center frequency and the bandwidth, when  bandwidth is the range of frequencies where the filter is attenuating  (decreasing) the signal less than 3 dB", but how can I have any idea what frequencies that is actually affecting? The values are only given in percentages, so maybe if I spend an hour with a slide rule I can determine what that translates into regarding the 45Hz to 4.5kHz range, but wouldn't it be SO much easier if we could use actual frequency-range parameters to adjust?

3. In the LOWS settings "Low (Low Pass Shelving Filter): -12 to +12 dB" how can I use the controls I'm given to adjust the settings, if the parameters are only given in percentages? In other words, if I choose a setting of 65%, how the heck does that translate into a dB setting, and even if we're given some sort of translation table (which I know I would be VERY grateful for), wouldn't it be so much easier to be able to view the actual dB settings in HD500 Edit?

4. The same comments apply to the HIGHS and GAIN parameters. I have no idea what a gain setting of 40% means, because it's displayed in percentages instead of actual values.

Thanks again! I know you have to respond to numerous questions every week, so I appreciate your responses.

by Deny777 on 2011-03-15 18:52:17

I'm sure Line 6 means well, probably trying to make it easier and less intimidating for folks who have no idea what a Hz is. But guess what, for those of us who do, it's kinda insulting. I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I'm being called stupid when I look at frequencies represented as percents. And what's worse, all the years I've spent learning how to dial good tones by memorizing what certain frequencies and other parameters related to audio signals do are worthless with the HD500. BTW "Q" is a filter quality factor and as such has no unit of measure, it's just a number that is usually adjustable through ranges like from 0.1 to 2.0 for instance. If Line 6 had gone with standard notation, those of us who know how a parametric bandpass filter sounds with a Q of 0.8 would have it a lot easier.

My opinion is, people who aren't tech-savvy or hate programming their units will stick to factory and downloaded patches anyway. People who already know this stuff have to play it by ear which isn't so bad but it's more time consuming than when you have a rough idea of where to start. People who want to learn their way around programming MFX units will learn how to program their POD HD, and whatever they learn will be useless for programming patches on other gear... or is this what Line 6 had in mind to begin with?

by KozMcCharlie on 2011-03-16 12:44:37

On of the biggest complaints I have with line 6 is the fact that they use only percentages with the parameters as opposed to what's actually being adjusted. This is true with EQ, which would be much easier to use with real world parameters. It's a little mind boggling since they use Hz for the speed control on Analog Chorus. Why not be consistent?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.