These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 Pro Library Error, Tone transfer failed, Reason: (code 8000900C)
by kimmokarkkainen on 2011-03-07 10:30:07

Hello!

I'm getting frequent errors connecting Gearbox with POD X3 Pro in iMac OSX 10.6.6.

POD X3 Library Error

Tone transfer failed

Reason: (code 8000900C) MIDI device timed out waiting for a response.

This is particularly strange because there are no Line6 device connectec thru MIDI, only X3 Pro thru USB.

The error sometimes happens right after the app starts when doing inital tone transfer but may happen at any random time while using Gearbox. Switching the X3 Pro hardware off and on again and restarting Gearbox app usually fixes the error situation but this nastily always interrupts what I'm doing and loses what ever tones I was working on. 

Line6 USB drivers version 5.7.0

Gearbox version 3.72

Monkey version 1.34

POD X3 Pro device firmware 1.00, Flash memory 2.00

I've reinstalled the drivers, the software and and reflashed the unit but it was of no help.

Gearbox has once or twice crashed completely, too, see dump information attached, but these events are not necessarily related.

Thank you for any help, these errors are rendering my kit most unuseful.

-Kimmo

Re: POD X3 Pro Library Error, Tone transfer failed, Reason: (code 8000900C)
by pablo_fitzyg on 2011-03-08 02:40:30

Hello,

I am having a similar problem

http://line6.com/community/thread/57993?tstart=30

Foundthis post from oleus this morning but have not had the chance to try

http://line6.com/community/thread/57381?tstart=0

class="jiveTT-hover-user jive-username-link" href="/people/oleus" id="jive-Lbz1hboPq1XdCGhY">oleus had to downgrade monkey and drivers for x3 to work on a mac

Let me know how you get on and I'll do the same (i will be downgrading later today).

Cheers

Fitz

by kimmokarkkainen on 2011-03-11 12:10:18

Hi!

Did you have a chance to try downgrading yet? Did it help? I haven't had a chance to try it myself.

What I did was replace the USB cable between Mac and POD with another one of presumably higher quality. This was suggested in one of the other threads.

I only launched the app twice since, so, no conclusive results yet. I'll let you know after some more testing.

I'm wondering, is Line6 support going to participate or is this just their customers trying to help out one another? It seems to me this failure is not isolated but some refer to it as "infamous" already.

Re: RE: POD X3 Pro Library Error, Tone transfer failed, Reason: (code 8000900C)
by Kneehow on 2011-03-15 15:25:58

Thanks for submitting the crash log. Looking at the end of the document, I noticed that you appear to be using a USB Hub to expand the number of ports on this Mac. It also appears that you've got a Fast Track Pro connected (at the time of problem). Is this true?

If so, please try all available direct ports (not through a USB Hub) on the Mac itself with your X3 Live and launch GearBox. Does the issue still continue?

Hubs have caused connectivity issues with our USB audio devices; they are not supported connection methods for Line 6 USB devices, unfortunately. Sounds like that could be the cause of what you're experiencing. Let us know.

by kimmokarkkainen on 2011-03-17 03:05:36

Hello Perry, thanks for your reply!

I've been conscientious about that. The X3 Pro is connected directly to USB port on the Mac itself. So is the Fast Track Pro. Third direct USB has external drive.

In the fourth there is a USB hub sharing a MIDI keyboard and USB memory sticks.

This equipment is essential because I'm using the Mac as a digital audio workstation: recording, editing, playback of guitars, vocal mics and digital instruments.

Kind Regards

Kimmo

by kimmokarkkainen on 2011-03-28 13:06:14

I've now used my POD X3 Pro for several weeks without the tone transfer failure.

So, I can conclude the reason was defective or sub-standard USB cable between my POD and iMac. Or maybe it was too long. I had to move the rack closer to the computer but now that I use the USB cable shipped with the product I'm experiencing no failures.

Many thanks for pfitzyg and Perry for help!

Kind Regards

Kimmo

by URAN4 on 2012-06-30 12:39:41

I just buy POD 3X LIVE; and had same error.

The cause is the USB cable; too long, try with a shorter cable, avoid to use USB cable not straight
(like a cable with a condenser or battery near the computer connection).

I changed the USB cable; and it's solved this problem.

Welcome.

by malexand20 on 2012-12-31 07:39:24

I had the same problem recently - when starting GearBox, using my POD X3 Live I would receive the following error:

POD X3 Library Error

Tone transfer failed

Reason: (code 8000900C) MIDI device timed out waiting for a response

This started several weeks ago - around the time I updated drivers through Line 6 Monkey. My drivers updated to version 4.2.5.4. Then I started seeing the error above - randomly at first, then, recently it was constant. To begin with, I would unplug the USB cable, power cycle the POD X3, restart the computer - any combination of these actions. But starting 2 days ago, nothing worked. I loaded Monkey, GearBox, and the new drivers on another laptop and had the same issue. During this time, the POD seemed to work fine.

I use a Dell laptop running Windows 7 (all patches are up-to-date). The POD X3 Live has USB Firmware v 1.02 and Flash Memory 2.01 (both currentl).

What appears to have resolved the issue was to 1) Uninstall GearBox (looking back, I probably didn't have to do this), 2) Uninstall the Drivers, and 3) reboot the computer. I then downloaded and installed GearBox version 3.72 (3/16/2010) - I allowed it to load drivers for the POD X3 Live - version 4.2.5.1. So far, so good - no errors!

Maybe someone from Line 6 support can respond if this is a known error. I've seen recommendations in other discussion groups from Line6 folks to take the POD to an Authorized dealer for repair. Maybe that was warranted, maybe not. A little "divide and conqure" troubleshooting helped me locate the error. I know companies don't like to admit when they release bad code, but a little confession with good directions will go along way for us users to avoid frustrations and doubts about the product.

Hope this helps someone else...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.