These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Can't locate Advanced Guide for JTV Variax
by dbernard on 2011-03-08 21:27:04

Just received a JTV-59, and in a couple places it the pilot's handbook says "see the Advanced Guide online for more information", but I do not see the Advanced guide listed in the downloadable product manuals. Anyone know where it is?

Re: Can't locate Advanced Guide for JTV Variax
by zeddd on 2011-03-09 03:08:31

The only guide I have ever seen is not very advanced and doesn't give much detail. It is more of an outline, and doesn't provide the kind of details you are probably looking for with regards to tunings and storing modified presets. I suppose the Advanced Guide is still to come, but perhaps someone else knows of its whereabouts.

by jenningsmusic on 2011-04-18 11:36:29

This is ridiculous. The guitars are finally trickling out and no advanced guide? What's up with that?

by MartinHines on 2011-04-18 15:06:23

I am not sure if there will be an Advanced Guide.  The "Rev B" manuals reference an Advanced Guide, but the more current "Rev C" manuals have all Advanced Guide references removed.

by jenningsmusic on 2011-04-18 15:33:17

MartinHines wrote:

I am not sure if there will be an Advanced Guide.  The "Rev B" manuals reference an Advanced Guide, but the more current "Rev C" manuals have all Advanced Guide references removed.

Well, I just downloaded "Rev C" and I see what you're talking about. The manual that came with my 59 is "Rev A" and it talks, in reference to what the non-existent "Advanced Guide" was supposed to do for us, about "how to harness the deep editing capabilities" of Workbench and details on connecting your Tyler Variax to other VDI equipped Line 6 hardware. In my case I was hoping to get some help with how my new Variax would interact with my Vetta II. Anyway, since I could not find a manual for Workbench either, I'm wondering if there is any place I can get this information.

by zeddd on 2011-04-18 15:40:09

MartinHines wrote:

That's too bad if it's true since I don't think "Rev C" covers information about tunings very well and indeed there should be a lot more information about how the guitar works with Workbench and assorted hardware devices. Maybe all that will be in "Rev D".

by robinwylie on 2011-04-20 07:41:18

So the only documentation that's available is the 16-page "Pilot’s Handbook"? Which is really only ten pages of useful info? If this is correct, I think I'll keep my credit card in my pocket for now!

by jenningsmusic on 2011-04-20 10:00:10

robinwylie wrote:

So the only documentation that's available is the 16-page "Pilot’s Handbook"? Which is really only ten pages of useful info? If this is correct, I think I'll keep my credit card in my pocket for now!

Yeah, can you believe that? The most electronically sophisticated guitar ever built and they give us a Quick Start manual and nothing else. Unbelievable!

by ozbadman on 2011-04-20 18:21:17

I will say this though. Part of the beauty of these guitars is they're largely supposed to feel and operate like a standard guitar. I don't remember getting an advanced user guide with my Fender Deluxe Strat either. The sophisticated electronics is supposed to be largely invisible from a users perspective.

My 2c.

David.

by zeddd on 2011-04-20 18:40:36

Yeah, I don't think we need a guide that is too much more advanced. Line 6 just needs to add some more pages to this current guide with a few more details, including some more information about using Variax Workbench, how tunings are stored, and information about presets which can change those in the guitar from other devices like the Pod HD500, etc. There is certainly more information that can be imparted and so this guide should be expanded. With a majority of people still waiting to receive their guitar, now would would be a good time for Line 6 to devote some resources to making this guide even more useful.

It would be also interesting to have some more information in the guide about the history of the Variax, and the creation of the emulations too, drawing our attention to certain details that we could notice if we listened (like Rich was pointing out in a video in regards to the authentic sustain/cutoff of notes in certain emulations). Basically, it would be nice to have a manual that feeds that fancy of all of us Variax enthusiasts who want to gooble up every bit of information we can about our new toy.

by johnnyayyy on 2011-04-20 18:49:44

Was there ever an "advanced guide" for the older Variax?

by robinwylie on 2011-04-20 19:02:28

A standard guitar is mostly plug'n'play, and if that's how you're planning on using the Variax, then you won't need a manual. But some of us want to dig deeper and explore all the sonic possibilities. I had a question earlier today that was nowhere in the startup guide, so I spent about 30 minutes googling and checking the forum before I found my answer. I don't want to have to be searching online every time I have a question. For my purposes, a good product with poor documentation is a bad product.

In contrast, I downloaded the manual for Roland's VG-99. Everything I need to know is in there. Every question I had was answered. And the more I read, the more I wanted to explore other possibilities that their technology offers.

The Variax seems to have better quality guitar models, but I'm strongly leaning towards to VG-99 simply because of the documentation.

by gtrman100 on 2011-04-20 23:09:45

robinwylie wrote:

A standard guitar is mostly plug'n'play, and if that's how you're planning on using the Variax, then you won't need a manual. But some of us want to dig deeper and explore all the sonic possibilities. I had a question earlier today that was nowhere in the startup guide, so I spent about 30 minutes googling and checking the forum before I found my answer. I don't want to have to be searching online every time I have a question. For my purposes, a good product with poor documentation is a bad product.

In contrast, I downloaded the manual for Roland's VG-99. Everything I need to know is in there. Every question I had was answered. And the more I read, the more I wanted to explore other possibilities that their technology offers.

The Variax seems to have better quality guitar models, but I'm strongly leaning towards to VG-99 simply because of the documentation.

I agree that the JTV documentation is pretty flimsy, but really there's not that much to learn about the guitar. Some of the deeper editing features are in Workbench, so you can pick up some info there. The only thing I've found that wasn't spelled out was how to store alternate tunings to a model selector location, but I figured it out with some help from the forum. If you haven't played a JTV, it's amazing. I've been using mine exclusively with my band since I got it, and don't miss any other one of my other guitars at all.

by zeddd on 2011-04-22 23:44:56

You know what is interesting...

I had only ever looked at the JTV User Manual, but just tonight I wanted a link to the Variax manuals to send to a friend who I have urged to try out another friend's Variax. I saw all the different Variax manuals and decided to download the Variax 600 user manual, because I just bought one.

Even in the older Variax manuals there is more information... right down to the blurbs about the guitar history, including bigger images of the guitars. I suppose the new layout in the JTV manual makes it easier to quickly refer to which guitar is being modeled in each pickup position, but I kind of like having the bigger guitar images and additional information (which has been edited out for the JTV manual).

Since the manual is in PDF format anyway, it would be really nice if they would put colour photos of the guitar which are modeled, which I know they have since I have seen those images in other Line 6 brochures. It would be great to have even MORE historical information about each guitar and a colour image of the guitar with any other interesting tidbits like who the guitar actually belonged to that they used to for the emulations, and the string guages/types which were on those guitars, etc.

The old Variax manuals also have a care and maintenance section, which seems useful, and an introductory section which introduces the technology.

Honestly, I will say again, in an age were the documentation is electronic, they shouldn't be editing out information but should rather be building the ULTIMATE VARIAX MANUAL with colour images, assorted reference charts (including some suggestions of additional alternate tunings not actually included on the guitar), information about working with other Line 6 devices, Workbench tips and tricks, and anything else that might be of interest to a Variax guitar owner. I also think it would be cool to have a list of famous songs that use each of the guitar models, and a section about using particular amp emulations and EQ to get certain tones out of particular guitar emulations.

Fortunately, in this electronic age, the still have the opportunity to create this ULTIMATE VARIAX MANUAL and make it available for all users at anytime. I hope they will do so.

Come on Line 6! Let's make this manual juicy!!

by LarryLion on 2012-05-10 09:04:39

Now that I have my JTV-69, and have read everything I can lay my hands on about it, the one glaring document deficiency is how to properly use the workbench.  I would like more details and explanation on how the 12-string configurations work, what the octave-detune features do, and the octave volume adjustments.  The rest I've kind-of figured out, but a comprehensive reference describing how the models were developed, etc., would be great.

Larry

by daferalo on 2012-05-10 10:16:46

Hi Larry,

Maybe, you can find the attached documents interesting. They were done by users, not from line6, and I've found them very nice!!

Best Regards,

Daf

by jenningsmusic on 2012-05-10 11:21:04

Thank you so much for those files. They are exactly what I was looking for.

by LarryLion on 2012-05-11 06:05:49

Many thanks Daf!  Those are most helpful. Hope that Line 6 is reading these posts.  They are obviously a good engineering company, but not a marketing-oriented one, by looks of it.

by LarryLion on 2012-05-11 06:16:59

Daf:  I see the attachments are chapters "6" and "7".  Presumably there are other chapters ... can you send me the links for those too, please?  Many Thanks

Larry

by daferalo on 2012-05-11 06:34:04

Hi Larry,

It seems that there are more chapters of this tutorial, but I have not been able to find them anywhere. The ones that I uploaded were taken from this web site http://www.vettaville.nl/page.php?id=95#449.Chapter one is the tutorial presentation (no contents).

Actually, it is more a variax workbench advanced guide than a JTV advanced guide, but it is a lot helpful. I do not understand why it is not available anymore at "download manuals" section of line6 web page.

It would be very nice If other forum member could share the rest of chapters with us.

Best Regards,

Daf

by LarryLion on 2012-05-11 08:45:06

Daf, many thanks.  I'll keep on looking.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.