These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Question on how to set advanced midi control of wah, pitch and looper?
by zeartist on 2011-03-11 12:36:40

Hello, I have a Spider Valve MKII with a Roland FC300 midi foot board. I got a lot of the controls working to remote control the FX and other parameters of the amp, but I am not able to get either the wah, pitch glide and looper to work correclty.

Can someone point me what midi / sysex messages I need to control:

- wah on / off

- wah position

- pitch glide position

- looper on / off and playback

Also, just to make sure I got this right, pitch glide is supposed to be a like a whammy right? Anyway that's what I want to emulate, a whammy pedal, where the pedal movement controls the pitch between a preset low and max.

Thanks!

Re: Question on how to set advanced midi control of wah, pitch and looper?
by Rowbi on 2011-03-12 03:21:35

I think most of what you want can be midi controlled.  I'm not sure about the looper though.

click support at the top of this page, then click product manuals.  select spider valve MKII in the list and then you'll see the manuals (there's a midi one, and I think the advanved one tells you about what the FX are, including the pitch glide).

have fun.

by zeartist on 2011-03-12 08:01:29

Hi, I've checked this already (should've mentioned). Basically there are some stuff which isn't clear from the manual, and then some things which are just not mentioned.

I see a few mentions about the wah in the Spider Valve midi implementation guide (that's the one you are referring to), but there is not mention about how to control the pitch glide (to make a "whammy" effect). There's a CC (#72) to turn on the pitch glide, but then nothing about how to control its position (pitch). There's a mention on pitch bend, but that is not really practical as most foot controllers I know don't send pitch bend messages.

Then there's absolutely nothing about the looper. I know that this feature can be controlled via the FBV controllers, and I'm assuming these use MIDI as well, so this is just a "hidden" feature (or it was just forgotten to add in that midi manual) and there must be some midi message(s) to control this. Anyway I'd like to know what messages (sysex and other) can control the looper and midi pitch glide position mostly).

by Vernon on 2011-03-13 10:19:27

Hi,

I've solved for the pitch glide control.

With my FCB1010 pedalboard I can drive the pitch glide (like a whammy) sending the CC 27. For a whammy effect, set the Mix value of the FX at 100%.

Hope this will help you...

Vernon

by zeartist on 2011-03-13 22:51:39

Ok it seems, according to this post, that CC #102 might control the Wah On/Off. I haven't tried yet so this is unconfirmed.

As for CC #27, I'll try that out when I get a chance, thanks!

Anyone has info for the looper control then?

by zeartist on 2011-03-15 17:51:27

Can anyone from Line6 support please answer this?

The question which is left to answer is, what midi messages can control the looper effect on the SV MK2 (CC / Sysex) ?

Thanks!

RE: Question on how to set advanced midi control of wah, pitch and looper?
by Line6Hugo on 2011-03-25 09:44:11

zeartist,

There is currently no meesages that controls the Looper features of the Spider Valve Mk II via MIDI at this time. I suggest you submit a feature request for this at the following link:

http://line6.com/company/contact/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by zeartist on 2011-04-04 14:44:24

Ok, for the record, I did some extensive testing recently. I have both a Roland FC300 and a Novation Remote SL 37 which can send all sorts of midi messages, CCs, sysex, etc.

So to answer my question and to perhaps help other people in similar situation, here are my findings. I will also post some feature requests as suggested by Hugo above to improve the MIDI support on the Spider Valve. With a bit of luck maybe it'll work, who knows. Anyway, here goes:

- Wah on/off: can be controlled by a midi sysex (no CC): the following worked for me:

ON:   F0 00 01 0C 12 06 63 00 00 09 00 00 01 F7

OFF: F0 00 01 0C 12 06 63 00 00 09 00 00 00 F7

- Wah position: CC4 seems to be it, as suggested by the manual, but it does not practically work as the wah effect turns itself off as soon as the value is changed. But if I turn it back on (using the on/off switch above), I can hear that the wah position changed (as the wah tone changes, it either has more treble or less depending on what I did...). So it works but there's a bug I suspect. I don't know how the FBV manages to do it then, would be interesting to hear from Line6 (must be something else than a MIDI message).

- Volume pedal (CC7): The same thing happens with the CC who's supposed to control the volume pedal (as mentioned by the MIDI implementation manual). Whenever I change CC7's value, it seems like the volume changes for a second but instantly resets itself, as if something else was overriding it. So that also does not work, and seems to be having the same behavior than the CC4 somehow (another bug I suspect). I tried using this to control the pitch pedal position, because there's a setting somewhere to control the pitch with either the volume or wah pedal.

- Pitch glide (aka whammy): can be somewhat controlled via midi CC27, which is the "stomp FX swoosh position" as mentioned in the manual. But unfortunately that is not the same as controlling the pitch pedal position, but rather it is changing the "heel" setting of the pitch effect. So when you play with that CC, you hear something like a whammy, but the control is not as precise as with the actual position (pos) parameter of the pitch effect. In particular, the heel parameter only changes in "rough" increments of +3 / +5 semitones and avoids the 0 position (neutral or the same tone as the original) which prevents one from making something like a real whammy. Hence why I said you can emulate a whammy but only to a small extent, which is a big bummer.

- One funny thing I noticed, the pitch effect's position CAN be controlled with the midi Pitch Bend message. That's perhaps how the FBV does it, I dunno. But anyway, I don't know of a midi foot controller which sends pitch bend messages (found that by accident with my Remote SL midi keyboard) so this is useless to me, other than being anecdotal...

- Looper: there's apparently no midi messages to control this, sadly.

Hence it seems like these are all small issues / bugs (aside from the looper) which could easily be fixed and/or patched by Line6 to provide better midi control of the amp. I will also send this as a feature suggestion to Line6 support.

by mekajinn on 2011-11-10 15:08:03

None of these issues has been fixed as far as I am aware... now 15 months later.

What's the score line 6?

These are clearly bugs with the amp's MIDI implementation and not a single post or actual helpful reply has been listed in this 'user support' area.

Anyone care to comment?

I have been searching for a means to be able to properly control all the features of a SV mkII HD100 for quite some time now, and basically it is IMPOSSIBLE.

If I want zero latency in switching on effects I HAVE to use a different footswitch to a line 6 one, because the line 6 one has a 70ms+ silence when switching 'channels'.

If I use an FBV pedal I can use the wah *apparently* yet I cannot use the effects in a professional manner because that would require a channel change.

I've NEVER got the wah or CC7 to work other than in the split second way that you describe zeartist.  Yet apparently this is just a bug... a bug that has not been fixed in the 15 months since you posted this accurate description of what is essentially something wrong with the amp.

None of these issues has ever been answered satisfactorily, yet line 6 marks them as answered just by saying they are bugs... bugs they have no intention of fixing... therefore they are not bugs... they are features that do not function properly... therefore amps not working properly.

not working properly = malfunction no?  Can someone who actually works for Line 6 actually give some feedback on this please?

by petrufmartin on 2012-10-03 16:00:10

I have the same problem with newest version of the infusion 2.0 .... this is insane....I demand coment from line 6 ..with a date of sorting out of this issue.... you just can't advertise midi implementation and use with bug like this... this is absolutely useless

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.