These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Random Changes to Settings
by pedgar1 on 2011-03-11 13:34:31

I have the Spider 4 75watt amp that I purchased in 8/10. I also have the shortboard FBV controller. At rehearsal yesterday I was in one of my clean setting playing for a while when all of a sudden I had a heavy flange effect. Looking at my board, the channel did not change (I was in A). I switched to B and then back to A and I was fine. Very Odd.

I played fine for about a 1/2 hour more and then it happened again. Heavy flange for no reason. I can't have this when I am performing next week. What's up? Thanks for your help.

Paul 

Re: Random Changes to Settings
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-03-12 07:15:49

Paul

There is a phenomenon known amongst other things as 'control knob jitter'

What this does is to move the physical positions of some control knobs slightly due to vibration from the speaker.  When a preset is selected it over-rides the positions of the control knobs, but as soom as one of those knobs is moved, a change is registered in the DSP and your sound can change.

The solution is to physically position all controls (except Master Volume) at 0% and then the controls are less likely to be affected.

Nick

Re: Random Changes to Settings
by pedgar1 on 2011-03-12 17:06:24

I should have also mentioned that I was lining out into a PA when this happened (amp speaker not active). The amp was situated next to a monitor (we are in a small practice room) so it is possible that the closeness of the monitor to the amp may have caused what you are describing. At my next rehearsal, I will turn all the controls to "0" and see what happens. Thanks. 

RE: Random Changes to Settings
by Line6Don on 2011-03-21 14:10:36

Hey Paul,

Just like Nick mentioned, sometimes the digital encoder knobs can move very slightly which can can end up causing a HUGE change in tone or effects. The preset's settings have nothing to do with what the actual knob on the amp is reading, so a slight adjustment of the knob can snap the preset's setting to wherever the knob on your amp is set to.

Hope this helps.

Re: RE: Random Changes to Settings
by pedgar1 on 2011-03-24 08:54:58

Thanks everyone. I have rehearsed several times since applying the advice here and no more sudden changes. I think I am all good. Thanks again!

Re: RE: Random Changes to Settings
by Line6Don on 2011-03-24 09:03:46

Glad to see that you are jamming again with no sudden change ups. If you have any further questions, please start a new post.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.