These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Jam

Extract Tone Settings from .JAM Files
by EdwardATeller on 2011-03-17 16:51:52

There must be a way to extract the tone settings from a .JAM recording since it is possible for the recording to set the tone.  Before I crank up my hex editor, is this something anyone has already looked at?  Right now, I've crouching over the amp, twiddling the dials, and scribbling down the readings.  Real PITA.

Re: Extract Tone Settings from .JAM Files
by joegillespie on 2011-03-18 02:16:32

Yes, the tone values are included in the .JAM file, near the front but I've never tried to deconstruct the file format. I would be possible by trial and error to save a series of JAM files where you only adjust ONE value at a time for each of the knobs and look at a hex dump to see what position in the file changes - and to what value. I'm guessing that they will go from 0-255 for each parameter. With a bit of work, it would be possible to make a 'tone reader' app - but i'm not going to do it!

by EdwardATeller on 2011-03-18 08:48:17

I didn't want to work on something that's already been done, but it seems like a fun project. 

1. Figure out what makes up the tone section,

2. Write something that strips out the tone info and saves it as a small, easily shared file. 

3. Write something that adds the tone info from step to a blank .JAM file. 

Then someone just needs to get the file from step 2 and run the utility from step 3, load the .JAM file and let the Spider Jam get its tone from there.

This beta release then gets debugged etc.

Then go through the steps you outlined to figure out what hex value controls what tone.  And finally write a utility that prints out the results.  This is the production release.

OR, Line6 could just tell us what the format is.  Too much to ask?

by joegillespie on 2011-03-18 09:41:13

If you just want to share tones, I have a page here that shows a workaround - http://www.joesjamblog.com/tones3.html#tonefiles

Note,however, that I am no longer accepting file uploads on my site as the facility was badly abused.

by EdwardATeller on 2011-03-18 14:58:57

I had a web site once where I let people upload pictures.  Someone uploaded a script that deleted the entire hard drive.

Thanks for the very handy tip and a great website.  You could have people upload tones to www.sendspace.com and then email the link to you as a workaround if that helps.

by daydreamin7677 on 2011-03-23 15:41:34

by EdwardATeller on 2011-05-13 03:42:16

This ended up being too hard for me.  It was fun looking at hex again--for about 20 minutes.  It would be nice if Line6 simply released the info by filling in the blanks in the attached document.

by wiretaper on 2011-09-07 00:34:48

ever thing gets so fucked up with up loding and serching for shit that should be part of the package.hours i have spent on this no good time wasting pice of shit computer

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.