These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Volume differences between patches on HD 500
by amari11o on 2011-03-18 12:57:34

I've browsed several hundred discussions and haven't found an answer to this one yet...

I play at church, using my Les Paul or Strat through the HD500 direct to the PA via XLR Left Mono.

All of my tones (so far) have been downloaded from Custom Tones - except for the factory presets.

I have issues with volume when I switch between presets, even on the same guitar (strat vs LP output is a different issue).

For example - I was using "Everything EC" for a song, the switched to "Thin Lizzy" and almost blew the congregation out of their pews.

Humorous, but undesirable.

I adjusted on the fly with my volume pedal.

Why are some patches louder than others? My Master and volume are both on 100%.

If I missed something in the manual, just give me a page number and I'll figure it out.

Lovin' the HD500!

I no longer have to lug my Marshall and pedal board and have greatly increased my tone library.

THANKS!

Re: Volume differences between patches on HD 500
by mark2711 on 2011-03-18 13:51:54

Your master volume might be at 100% but each patch will probably have a different channel volume saved. Also each amp models volume output will depend on the gain setting as well. E.g. Vox AC30 model with gain and channel volume at 100% will be louder by miles than same tone with gain set to 50%. You need to adjust the channel volumes of each one of your patches individually to the volume you need. I find a good way of doing this is to put on a backing track and play along, adjusting the channel volume of your patches until they sit in the mix the way you want, then next time when you are at church you won't blow the congregation away with HD spirit but the Holy one:)

I also find the custom tones are far to loud for me but then I play mainly with headphones. Other people set up the tones to play with an amp so there will be large volume differences from downloaded patches. It is annoying but I tend to take my headphoines of when testing other peoples patches.

by timowens on 2011-03-18 15:28:58

Some tones are created for the POD plugged into a guitar amp input, some for the FX return, some for a FRFR monitor and some for headphones. This not only affects the tone but it also affects the levels, you really need to test every tone you download and adjust according for your application, there’s no way around it. Hope that helps.

by spaceatl on 2011-03-18 15:59:45

+1

I call it patch leveling...I stick my master around 2 oclock and then bounce through my patches leveling out the channel volume (adjust only the channel volume, store and check)...I try to do it a gig level otherwise Fletcher can getya...

Take the patches you like and move them to a set list and then level them out...That's a chore that has been there since the beginging...The presets are more individualized and often are somewhat radical to demonstrate some of the extremes...

by amari11o on 2011-03-18 17:14:31

Excellent advice!

Good point on the gain and channel volume. I'm putting on some Lincoln Brewster and checking the mix tonight.

by amari11o on 2011-03-18 17:19:17

timowens wrote:

Some tones are created for the POD plugged into a guitar amp input, some for the FX return, some for a FRFR monitor and some for headphones. This not only affects the tone but it also affects the levels, you really need to test every tone you download and adjust according for your application, there’s no way around it. Hope that helps.

Thanks, timowens.

I'll double check the description on each tone I download. I'll start with my Led Zep/Jimmy Page tones and test/adjust each one. It's definitely a task, but also a labor of love!

by amari11o on 2011-03-18 17:30:09

spaceatl wrote:

+1

I call it patch leveling...I stick my master around 2 oclock and then bounce through my patches leveling out the channel volume (adjust only the channel volume, store and check)...I try to do it a gig level otherwise Fletcher can getya...

Take the patches you like and move them to a set list and then level them out...That's a chore that has been there since the beginging...The presets are more individualized and often are somewhat radical to demonstrate some of the extremes...

OK - I have set my Master to 2 o'clock and will build a set list of my most used presets. Should I adjust the channel volume on the unit or in Edit? Or does it matter as long as I send the adjustments in the right direction when I'm done?

It sounds like a chore - but mowing my lawn is a chore, plugging in and playing thru my HD500 is a blast!

Thx again to everyone who answered!

by timowens on 2011-03-18 20:06:27

It doesn't matter if you adjust the volume on the unit or in Edit, as long as you save the patch each time. Mark2711 and spaceatl gave some excellent points about getting your levels set, I would add that for me at least, I almost always have to fine tune the levels (and the tones) at the gig so don't be surprised if it takes a few times to get it sorted out, but at least you can get them pretty darn close at home so there are no more surprises like that. And BTW, I used my HD500 at church last Sunday for the first time and it worked out great, I think you're going to enjoy it a lot.

by dhstone on 2011-03-20 05:47:59

All good suggestions here. I too use my HD500 at church direct to the board from the XLR out. I get my patches "drafted" at home w/ headphones. This is tricky because headphones don't sound like live, but I've done it enough that I can compensate. So at home you'll want to pull back the bass and treble more than you may like it to sound in the phones, but it will be about right when you get on stage. I found out the first time I got the HD at church that I wasn't all that close on some of my "draft" patches though. ;-)

The thing I did that was VERY helpful to both the sound guy and me was to take my guitar and POD to church one evening before the Sunday service when we were not pressed for time, and with the sound guy, tweak everything ahead of time. This got us really close. I stood back at the board and plugged in directly so I could hear my rig through the house like the sound guy does. I went through my hand full of main patches (typically only 3-4 that I actually use on a given Sunday) and tweaked eq and levels.

This was a very instructional exercise for me. I was surprised at how good some of the patches sounded (the Dr Z model!) and I was surprised how bad others sounded (the AC30TB and the BFDouble). Those lower gain models really needed more oomph to get the levels close. I had to boost +10 or 12db in HD's mixer to get those close with the Dr Z. I also had to play with gain settings on the distortions as well as amp eq on all the patches (dial BACK the gain/drive!) to get things sounding good through the house.

Come Sunday with the full band, you'll need to tweak a bit, but I find that all I'm doing at that point is touching drive, or maybe a delay mix or pushing the mids up a hair and pulling the bass back to get a good cut through the mix. I've found that the HD500 is very easy to edit and save patches on the fly, but I really like the convenience and "visibility" the software editor gives you while you're at home building patches.

Bottom line, if you're going to use a MFX unit like the HD, you have to learn to listen and tweak. :-)  For me, that's part of the fun. I know for a lotta guys, they just want to plug in and play. Just the other day I was trying for the first time to use the HD as an effects only unit in front of my AC30CC2. I had to spend 20-30 minutes trying various combinations of output modes studio/direct (best in this case) vs. front of combo, stack, etc. as well as the line/amp switch (I used line) and Master output level tweaks. I got it dialed in, and I have to admit, I am very pleased to say that this thing is MUCH better at not sucking your tone like prior PODs.

In my opinion, it is TOTALLY worth the investment of time to learn this unit. In fact, if you don't you'll likely be frustrated. On the spectrum of plug and play MFX units, the HD500 is definitely leaning on the more complex side and needs a bit of tuning. The Boss GT-10 I found to be EXTREME in this category, and a major pain to edit since there was no software editor available. The easiest, best sounding out of the box by far is the Digitech RP500/1000. I had one of those for a while too, and I really liked being able to plug in and get decent tones right away. The presets were even ok believe it or not!

Happy tweaking with the HD! :-)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.