These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider IV 75 restarts when playing, for several users. Bad component identified. Make official repair offer like X3-Live?
by magpie on 2011-03-18 20:18:31

I posted a thread about this product error in june 2010. http://line6.com/community/thread/38228

Theamp (Spider iv 75w) can simply reset firmware randomly at any time (takes 4 seconds of silence) then back to normal operation.

Sometimes it occurs many times a day, sometimes once a week. Confirmed at different locations and power outlets. Resetting and reloading firmware etc does not help.

I have seen many reports and threads on the web now about this error in the Line 6 iv amp series.

Remember, most people don't bother to contact Line6 and report this problem (minor problem for some).

I'm pretty sure hundreds of users have this problem, but perhaps only one for every thousand users is registered at the Line6 forum.

I think Line 6 should make an official free repair offer for this, just like they did with the X3-Live problem. It's obviously caused by a bad component at the factory.

In this thread Line6Perry confirms that it is caused by a bad component: http://line6.com/community/thread/58523;jsessionid=2D31AF9AC41B811CFA6DC63C61114907?tstart=0

"Therewas a bad component on the mainboard that was causing the firmware of the DSP to keep resetting."

The reason I haven't sent my amp for service yet is because other users have reported that the problem was still there when they got it back from the service center. Obviously they didn't know where to look. So being without amp for perhaps 2 moths and not getting it fixed is not a good option for me.

Line6, now that the bad component has been identified, are all service centers informed about this and what problem it can cause?

Will you make an official free repair offer for this, just like the X3-Live problem?

Best regards,

Magpie

Re: Spider IV 75 restarts when playing, for several users. Bad component identified. Make official repair offer like X3-Live?
by magpie on 2011-03-23 18:21:50

Bump.

I hope Line 6 is reading this and will give us users some official information on how they can repair this product error.

Over a million Spider iv series amps sold means some components will be faulty at the factory, thats just how production works for all companies.

I love the amp but this error makes it too unreliable for playing live etc.

Cheers!

Re: Spider IV 75 restarts when playing, for several users. Bad component identified. Make official repair offer like X3-Live?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-03-24 08:11:55

Hi

It's not my intent to add to your frustration, however, I do feel I need to point out that the amp Line6Perry was referring to in that other thread you've linked to was a Spider IV 15 watt model and not a Spider IV 75 or up.

The Spider IV 15w and 30w amps are somewhat different to the 75 watt, 120 watt and 150 watt variants.  It is unlikley therefore that the same 'bad' component would be included in all variants of the Spider IV range in my opinion.  It is howver possible I would guess that a Spider IV 75 watt model might experience some of the same issues as a Spider IV 120 or Spider IV 150 might because there is a closer relationship between these amps in terms of the 'front-end' DSP/Pre amp section, whereas the front-end in a Spider IV 15 watt  is quite a bit different.

I also have to say that whilst I appreciate that not every Spider IV owner looks at or participates in these forums, I have seen some reports of a fault with an amp that seem to be similar to your experiences, but not very many - maybe three or four.  Of those three or four, the actual causes could also be three or four or more.  Unfortunately the nature of intermittent problems is that they can be very difficult to pin down and it's not really possible to even speculate what the cause might be with any degree of certainty.

I would make a very detailed and accurate log of occurrences of the problem including date, time, preset being used, how loud the Master Volume was when the issue occurred, how long you had been playing before the problem occurred, whether the amp was connected to any kind of power conditioner at the time, notes on the environment (power supply, lights dipping etc.... that sort of thing).  This can then be used to help an engineer see how long the amp needs to be run for typically and what it was doing and under what conditions when it restarted.  It also serves as a record of the number of time the problem has occured and can help convince a reluctant enginner at a service centre to persist a little longer than ususal with his diagnostic tests.  An engineer really can't make too much use of too much anecdotal evidence or too much 'emotional' input (all the angry stuff we might think when something goes wrong) - all they require is the facts and not necessarily supposition or assumption - if that makes sense - and by that I mean it's not always wise to assume or suppose that because amp A restarts itself at random that when amp B restarts itself that it's necessarily for the same reason - particularly when the amps are completely different models that happen to share a family name like Spider IV.

If you haven't done so already, you should back up any presets you have created yourself and reflash your amp's firmware, then perform a factory reset before restoring your patches.   Doing this should resolve any issues where the firmware installation might have been slightly corrupted by something.

If the problem persists, you should then book your amp into an authorised Line 6 Service Centre to be checked out properly.

Good luck and I hope you get the problem resolved ASAP

Best regards

Nick

by magpie on 2011-03-27 19:50:38

Nick, thanks for your input.

Not many people put in as much time and effort like you to help and write LONG replies. Thumbs up!

Here is another new thread from a Spider iv 75 player possibly having the restart problem:

http://line6.com/community/thread/60175?tstart=0

Ihave now seen this restart problem in the 15w, 75w, 120w, 150w Spider iv amp series, and in more than ten threads on the web.

As I have stated before, this restart problem is totally random and can occur several times a day or once a week or less.

It has happened in dfferent outlets at different locations and houses. Tried master level both at bedroom and gig level.

Using both my own presets and factory, also with and without FBV Express mk2.

I keep the controls at zero to prevent any movement issue. Patch levels at least 50%. Tried switching power cable as well.

I'm 99.99999% sure this is a hardware problem. Caused by a bad component(s) at the factory.

It would be great if Line6 could reply and give us some information on how to fix this problem.

RE: Spider IV 75 restarts when playing, for several users. Bad component identified. Make official repair offer like X3-Live?
by Line6Hugo on 2011-03-28 14:16:31

Magpie,

What you are experiencing is a symptom of a possibly bad component on the Spider amp. We do not know which component this is as any number of components can possibly fail and produce the same symptom. Just because someone has the same symptom that you are experiencing does not mean that their amp has the exact same problem that yours does. For this reason, the only option is to take it to an authorized service center to inspect the hardware and repair as necessary.

It looks like you purchased it in 6/2010, which if you purchased it new from an authorized dealer in your country, then you can get the repair covered under warranty.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: Spider IV 75 restarts when playing, for several users. Bad component identified. Make official repair offer like X3-Live?
by magpie on 2011-03-28 17:33:50

Thanks Hugo.

Yes I know my amp is still under warranty, though I have to pay a lot for shipping to send it to UK from scandinavia.

As I wrote in my first post. The reason I haven't sent my amp for service yet is because other users  have reported that this exact problem was still there when they got it back  from the service center. Obviously the tech didn't know where to look or found no errors. So  being without amp for perhaps 2 months or more and not getting it fixed is not a  good option for me.

This is probably a tough component to trouble shoot since the error is totally random and sometimes only occurs once a week or longer even if I use it every day. I doubt that service techs can monitor one amp constantly for a week while doing other work.

Are all service centers informed about this specific problem and what component that caused it in the Spider iv 15w?

Re: RE: Spider IV 75 restarts when playing, for several users. Bad component identified. Make official repair offer like X3-Live?
by Kneehow on 2011-03-29 15:11:12

Hi Magpie,

The hard part about online Forum support is that our users have no way on knowing which country the other posting member may be from. The reason why I state this first is to let you know that if an end user who experienced an issue with a Spider IV 15 watt (these amps are non-field serviceable) within the 1st year, the solution in the US is to have the amplifier replaced. 15 watt amps cost more to fix than to replace, should a hardware fault be present.

Our 30 watt and higher models (75 watt, 150 watt, etc.) are field serviceable. It sounds to me like your Spider IV 75 watt amp may require a new mainboard, but only an Authorized Line 6 repair technician can verify this in person. That is why we as Forum Moderators can really only suggest basic troubleshooting, provide a system reset procedure in the firmware. If all these recommendations fail, the next option is to refer an end user with a problematic unit over to a service center tech.

Having said this, you're writing us from Sweden. Did you purchase your amplifier there in Nyköping? I know that in many other European countries outside of the UK, the Line 6 Distributor will handle servicing issues, provided that the new amp was purchased in their sales/warranty distribution channel.

In Sweden, please contact:

Luthman Scandinavia KB

+46 8 55502000

Again, this information assumes that you purchased your Spider IV 75 new from a dealer in Sweden and not another country...

by lanzerco on 2011-04-07 09:38:51

Ugh... just saw this thread. Was thinkin' about picking up a IV 75, but I may switch directions after seeing these problems. Let us know what shakes out, magpie.

Matt

by luekemeyer on 2011-06-13 16:44:11

My Spider IV 150 Combo has done this several times over the last few months. My 12 month waranty is up next month so I need to get this thing in this week.

by wainwrights on 2011-08-26 20:41:14

I'm experiencing the same reset problem as described by magpie with my Spider IV 75. I'm averaging about 1 reset per hour of playing the last few days. It's not predictable as to when it happens. Since this is just a hobby for me, I'm not going to give it up for several weeks for a repair shop to troubleshoot/repair. If Line 6 determines the cause of these resets and can confirm a 'fix', then I'll give it up for repair.

by bluebluetones on 2011-10-11 15:00:20

It now works perfectly again.  No problems.

by bluebluetones on 2012-02-11 12:50:41

Still working fine!

by luekemeyer on 2012-02-11 14:08:47

They replaced the motherboard on mine... It was still under warranty (1 year).. I sold it shortly there after..

by bluebluetones on 2012-02-14 10:25:09

Very interesting!

by fflbrgst on 2012-02-14 10:42:21

Sorry you are having problems with your amp (again).  Back when it first happened, I woudl have suggested taking advantage of the warranty and bringing it to a servic center for evaluation.  Now that the warranty is expired, you can pay to have a service center look at it, or buy components (like a motherboard) randomly in an attempt to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, products age and all manufactures put a time limit on their warranties - most consumer electronics these days only give a 3 month or 6 month warranty.

by bluebluetones on 2012-02-15 08:17:04

I'll let you  know if it ever happens again.

by fflbrgst on 2012-02-15 11:22:00

I feel your pain!  Here's a document that points you in the right direction for ordering parts:  http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1606

I'mreminded of the last time I went to buy an inexpensive DVD player to replace the defunct one in my living room.  Spent the whole day - 3 trips, first one to Target, then 2 to Best Buy to get a $50 player!  First one had a bad color output section - everything was shades of red.  Second one had no picture output at all!

My 2008 Nissan truck had to have almost every engine sensor replaced in the first 2 years - luckily still under warranty.

by raducondulimazi on 2012-06-27 11:16:42

hello to everybody!

I recently started to have the same problem with my spider III 75. Only it's way out of warranty, I purchased it in 2008 from a Romanian dealer, but I only used it in my livingroom! There are no services in Romania, the closest is in Ankara, Turkey!!!

Any help will be highly appreciated, I don't want to throw it away...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.