These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod Hd Compatibility
by hafzalla on 2011-03-21 21:43:32

Hi, sorry for being a newbie, but is the pod hd compatible with my line 6 spider iv 15 watt amp? If not, then what kind of ins and outs do i need to look for to connect the pod to an amp? Also does line6 plan on releasing a new pod or a software for the pod anytime soon? Im thinking of buying the pod, but unless if theres a new one coming out, im going to wait.

Re: Pod Hd Compatibility
by fester2000 on 2011-03-22 02:33:48

hafzalla wrote:

Hi, sorry for being a newbie, but is the pod hd compatible with my line 6 spider iv 15 watt amp? If not, then what kind of ins and outs do i need to look for to connect the pod to an amp? Also does line6 plan on releasing a new pod or a software for the pod anytime soon? Im thinking of buying the pod, but unless if theres a new one coming out, im going to wait.

I'm not sure what you mean by "compatible" b/c the HD can be amplified by an amp or it can go directly into the board, whatever you like.  Is a 15 watt SS amp with a tiny speaker the ideal amplification solution for your HD?  Probably not, but by all means give it a go if that's all you've got.  There are modes that the HD can run in, including "combo front" which is meant to run into the front of a clean channel amp.  I haven't read any reports of anyone using a Spider IV 15 with the HD, for what that's worth.

The HD is still bleeding edge - don't wait for the next generation, it'll be 3 to 5 years most likely before the "next" pod is coming out.  Unless you're referring to the hoped for "HD Pro" which may or may not be coming out.  L6 never really says what they're going to do before they do it. 

Usually their new products show up on some Ukranian web site about 3-4 months before launch.  Haven't seen anything like that in quite awhile. 

Good luck!

Cheers,

Fester2k

by hafzalla on 2011-03-22 10:29:22

So basically the pod hd can either plug into a pc, a mixing board, or an amp, but how come on youtube on the line6support channel, they show connections between FX send and Guitar in, FX return - left mono and Preamp out, and unbalanced out - left mono and power amp in? Because, my line6 spider iv 15 does not have a preamp out or a power amp in so does this take away some features? I guess i am not sure what the purpose of the FX send and return functions are, but if im connecting for example a pod hd300 (which doesnt have fx send or return) does this mean i directly connect the guitar to the pod's guitar in jack, and then the pod's unbalanced out - left mono to the amps guitar in jack? Heres the video by the way just to show you their connection between their pod hd and their spider valve 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIbByDizyM

by fester2000 on 2011-03-22 11:11:11

hafzalla wrote:

So basically the pod hd can either plug into a pc, a mixing board, or an amp, but how come on youtube on the line6support channel, they show connections between FX send and Guitar in, FX return - left mono and Preamp out, and unbalanced out - left mono and power amp in? Because, my line6 spider iv 15 does not have a preamp out or a power amp in so does this take away some features? I guess i am not sure what the purpose of the FX send and return functions are, but if im connecting for example a pod hd300 (which doesnt have fx send or return) does this mean i directly connect the guitar to the pod's guitar in jack, and then the pod's unbalanced out - left mono to the amps guitar in jack? Heres the video by the way just to show you their connection between their pod hd and their spider valve 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIbByDizyM

Ok,I'm starting to understand your confusion.  You'll note in that video they say that the "four cable method" (aka "4CM") is ideal for amps with a serial effects loop.  Your Spider doesn't have an effects loop at all (serial or parallel).  This doesn't change the features or functionality, but if you're going to use an HD 500 with it, you wouldn't be able to do what you can do with an amp that had an effects loop, which is put the Pod before the amp so you can use the HD's overdrive and distortion stomps, then go out of the HD's effects loop out into the front of the amp into the amp's preamp, then go out of the amp's fx loop back into the pod for post-amp fx like chorus, delay and reverb, then go back into the amp's fx loop return to have the amp actually amplify the signal and send it to your cabinet.

So yes, with the HD300 and a Spider IV 15, the most you'd be able to do is run the HD300 before the Spider into a clean channel on the spider, and use the HD300's amps and fx.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Fester2k

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.