These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Volume Problems
by mtarach2007 on 2011-03-24 15:20:09

I recently purchased an HD300. I run it mainly as an fx processor. I'm running it through a Peavey XXX head on the Fx loop. When i use the delay or chorus the sound is fine, no volume change. On the other hand when i try to use the screamer on FX 1 or the wah pedalpo while my actual amps distortion is on there is a volume cut. The same as if i turn the "amp" on the pedal board on (not that you'd really want to have double distortion) but it still cuts my volume. Can anyone tell me why?

Re: Volume Problems
by gunpointmetal on 2011-03-24 15:29:28

Gain effects like distortion, compression, etc really need to go in front of your amp's pre-amp; i.e.-in the guitar input at the front. In order to maintain a logical effect order you have to run your signal

guitar->HD400 Guitar Input->HD loop send->amplifier guitar in->amplifier effects loop out->HD effects return->HD main output->Amp Effect Return

By doing this way and enabling the loop you can put drive effects ahead of the pre-amp and ambience effects (chorus, delay, 'verb) after the pre-amp. I only have an HD500, so I'm just assuming there is an effects loop on the 400. If you simply have the HD in the amps effects loop all of your distortion will be after your amp-tone, and levels would have to be set to match. 

by silverhead on 2011-03-24 15:34:29

Unfortunately I don't think the HD300 has an FX loop. The HD400 does.

by mtarach2007 on 2011-03-24 15:34:30

I appreciate your quick response. The hd300 actually does not have an Fx loop of its own. I really only use the device for its Fx so it's not THAT big of a problem. but thats similar to what I thought. If theres any other way to get around that I would appreciate it.

RE: Volume Problems
by Line6Don on 2011-03-25 08:57:30

Hey Mtarach2007,

Sorry to hear about your volume problem you are having. Thanks gunpointmetal, I was thinking the same thing, it all has to do with gain structures. Especially with a effect like a screamer, which sometimes can thin out a sound if it is used over a already distorted signal after the tubes.

Since you are using the POD HD300 which doesn't offer a effects loop, you have two choices:

-Keep the POD HD300 in your effects loop and spend some time leveling off your amps master/channel volumes to match the difference.

-Run the POD HD300 in front of the amp by plugging your guitar straight into it, then out of the POD HD500 outputs to the input of your amp. This will change how your effects sound, but should fix the volume dropout you are experiencing using the FX loop.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions please just let us know.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.