These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

QSC vs DT50????
by hoodcreeper on 2011-03-26 10:04:58

Can anyone discuss thier experience with QSC K series FRFR speakers vs DT50 with the HD pods.  I ask because I have been very happy with my QSC at home and it's ability to help me shape tones to hear them accuratly through a mixer into a DAW.  I thought the QSC would have enough "punch" to sit in a mix with a band in a small room environment.  However last night I took this set up to play with some folks and the line up was bass, drums, keys, sax, and two guitarists.  The other guitarist was playing through a Fender Twin and I had the QSC k8.  Needless to say- I was very dissappointed with my sound.  Sounded like a tube amp but didn't feel like one!  I know that makes sense to most of you.  My question is this:  does the DT50 really bridge the gap between modelling and true tube sound?  REALLY???  Because last night was pretty sad- going up against a Fender twin.  I still love my HD500, but I am rethinking my QSC speaker.  Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Re: QSC vs DT50????
by Octo777 on 2011-03-26 10:24:43

hoodcreeper wrote:

Can anyone discuss thier experience with QSC K series FRFR speakers vs DT50 with the HD pods.  I ask because I have been very happy with my QSC at home and it's ability to help me shape tones to hear them accuratly through a mixer into a DAW.  I thought the QSC would have enough "punch" to sit in a mix with a band in a small room environment.  However last night I took this set up to play with some folks and the line up was bass, drums, keys, sax, and two guitarists.  The other guitarist was playing through a Fender Twin and I had the QSC k8.  Needless to say- I was very dissappointed with my sound.  Sounded like a tube amp but didn't feel like one!  I know that makes sense to most of you.  My question is this:  does the DT50 really bridge the gap between modelling and true tube sound?  REALLY???  Because last night was pretty sad- going up against a Fender twin.  I still love my HD500, but I am rethinking my QSC speaker.  Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

You still have to be moving air with an FRFR system and it seems to me the lacking your feeling was maybe due to the 8" speaker as opposed to a 12", perhaps?

by hoodcreeper on 2011-03-26 10:36:22

Octo-  Maybe??- I had a true range of sound.  Plenty of bass, cutting through mix, and plenty of head room.  What I lacking seems a little more intangable.  What I can only describe as the absence of warm tube sound.  Don't get me wrong the K8 is really a freak of engineering.  Everything you could want from a small PA speaker, but didn't seem like a good substitute for a tube amp and I dont see what I would really gain from the k10 or k12?   I fear the same maybe true for going direct into a PA at a venue.  Wall of sound but no guts or soul.  Am I right about this???

by timowens on 2011-03-26 10:44:26

I have two K10's and I usually only use one for practice and worship at church, but whenever I jam with a rock band I use both and it makes a difference. But, I've also plugged into the FX return of my Marshall driving a 4x12 with Scumbacks and it is a lot better, there's just something about that tube poweramp and guitar cab that a FRFR monitor can't duplicate, I'm sure the DT50 would also sound much better than the K8 or K10 too.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.