These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: ToneCore Development Kit

The RollerShifter - A guitar arpegiator
by PsiKTrOn on 2009-04-24 05:30:06

Hi,

I just want to introduce my first guitar effect designed with the line6 ToneCore Dsp Kit.

It's a guitar arpegiator. It converts the sound of the guitar into an arpeggio.

You just have to play one note or a chord and the RollerShifter will change the pitch of the the sound to create an arpeggio.

Here is the link of the demonstration video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6idBRbO7RU

Enjoy.

Re: The RollerShifter - A guitar arpegiator
by roblof on 2009-04-24 06:52:58

Cool! Tnx for sharing...

Reminds me of some fx in the boss gt-6.

by abrant on 2009-04-24 19:45:16

Sounds good, I wasn't sure if this dsp could do pitch shifting that well. Do you have an plans for releasing it?

by vignesebastien on 2009-04-29 07:33:39

Nice one !!

In what language did you manage to create this effect and what's your technique to pitch shift ?

Thanks

by richfiddler11 on 2009-04-29 19:13:05

Nice  Job!! Very cool effect!!

If you don't mind my asking, about how many hours work does this represent? How was the learning curve and do you have a programming/DSP background?

Thanks for sharing the video & good luck.

R.

by PsiKTrOn on 2009-04-30 03:12:25

Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I programmed the DSP in assembly language.

But, first, I wrote it with a high level simulation environments. I used Matlab.

Matlab is very adapted for the development part.

Then I translated the code into assembly.

This way of developing take more times but split the problems. In the Matlab part I tuned the DSP code to obtain the right sound.

And in the assembly part, I only had to solve assembly problems like writting in the external memory,...

I cannot evaluate clearly the development time. I received my kit for Christmas. But I only spent a few hours by weeks on it.

I'm a phd student in electronic. This background helps me for the development of the effect.

Have a nice day.

by ricksox on 2009-04-30 13:31:41

Amazing dude!!! I am really impressed! I would buy this pedal in a second!!! Nice job!

Line6Miller

by roblof on 2009-04-30 15:08:14

Care for sharing it? It would be nice to view the code for this one!

by jonsonnenberg on 2009-05-04 13:18:47

I love it.  -especially the disjointed sounds as well as the octave shifts that you are getting. That is pretty advanced.

curious:

How did you use Matlab to help program the pedal?  Did you also use Simulink?

What is your goal with this?  Do you want to sell the code or modules?, work for Line6?, or share some of your secrets so we can learn from your creativity?

either way,  great job!

by PsiKTrOn on 2009-05-12 08:21:28

Hi,

I didn't use Simulink because it's too different from the final code.

I develloped a code that works like the DSP. The advantage is that you can use all the features of Matlab (loading and writing wav file,...) to tune exactly the sound I wanted.

Then, I just converted all the code into assembly.

The most representative example is that i had to calculate the frequency of each note. In matlab, this take one line. In assembly i head to implement a look-up table which reprensents an important task.

I already shared things, I posted on the old forum how i use the external memory. And how i convert easily my code into a step by step debug code.

I think that the full code is hard to understand because due to storage capacity  of the program memory, I had to optimize it a lot.

I hope this will help you.

by DarkZenGuitar on 2009-08-19 06:33:44

Wow! Fantastic job. What's really impressive is the amount of function you programmed. Certainly no one trick pony!

Now, Line 6 just has to put that in my XTL and I'll be very happy....

Hey, Line 6-make a model pack of stuff like this!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.