These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD 500 DAW Integration
by temppara on 2011-03-31 12:15:55

I just purchased a HD500 unit and I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate it into my DAW. I am using Cubase 5.53 Studio and I have an RME 400 Fireface. I connected the S/PDIF out from the HD to the Fireface. I connected the USB to my computer. I am interested in "re-amping" and wanted to explore this option, but I do not see the USB connection as an option listed in the F4 Connections window. Do I have to use the HD as my "soundcard" in order to re-amp? Monitoring is also an issue. Sometimes I hear the processed sound while in Cubase, sometimes I hear the dry tone. Has anyone here already crossed these bridges and would be willing to give a guy a hand with this? 

RE: HD 500 DAW Integration
by Line6Don on 2011-04-04 14:37:14

Hey temppara,

You have two options on how to use your POD HD500 to reamp recordings. I recommend using the USB connection to minimize the amount of Analog to Digital conversions.

1:

-Assign the fireface as the system "sound card"

-Assign the fireface as the audio device/driver in Cubase.

-Connect the HD500 to the fireface using SP/DIF, and configure the fireface to sync clocks with the HD500.

-Route the track through the SP/DIF output to be processed.

-Use the fireface to monitor.

2:

-Disconnect your fireface.

-Connect the HD500 to your computer using a USB port.

-Assign the HD500 as the system "sound card."

-Within Cubase, assign the HD500 to inputs and outputs.

-Route the audio through HD500 to be processed.

-Use the HD500 to monitor.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions just let us know.

Re: RE: HD 500 DAW Integration
by temppara on 2011-04-07 13:55:28

Hey Don,

Thanks for the reply. I think I am still a little confused about something though. If I use the HD500 for my sound card in Cubase how do I send the audio out to the HD500 to be processed(dry track) and receive it back into Cubase as a "wet" track? Is it possible to do this across the USB interface? If it is I need help setting it up because I have already tried it and it doesn't work. Thanks for all your help...

JM

RE: HD 500 DAW Integration
by Line6Don on 2011-04-08 16:36:51

Hey temppara,

For assistance with that I ask that you please contact Cubase support, because I do not have enough experience with the Cubase software to help you configure that within Cubase.

Re: RE: HD 500 DAW Integration
by silverhead on 2011-04-08 17:03:13

I don't think you can do this directly over the HD500/DAW usb interface. In order to reamp using the HD500 you need to have the incoming signal routed through one of the HD500 Inputs (Guitar, Aux, ...). The incoming USB signal does not get routed to the DSP.

So that means you could try using your Fireface as the intermediary. I haven't done this, so please understand that this is just a theoretical suggestion - but it might be worth trying.

Configure your DAW to use Fireface as its audio input and output device. Route the dry track from your DAW through the Fireface audio output into an appropriate input on the HD500, The Guitar and Aux inputs are instrument level; the FX Return input can be configured as line level. Select your HD500 Inputs accordingly (or place the FX Loop at the front of the chain; you may have to use a dummy jack in the FX Send to enable the loop) and set up your patch processing. Then route the HD500 Output (use Studio mode) back to your Fireface audio input for recording the processed signal in your DAW.

Again, just theoretical......

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.