These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How many Pod HD forum users does it take to change a light bulb?
by Octo777 on 2011-04-01 09:53:25

Six.

One to change the light bulb and five to come along and start a thread about exactly the same light bulb........

Re: How many Pod HD forum users does it take to change a light bulb?
by amgamg on 2011-04-01 09:56:42

Actually...12..6 more to tell ya its not a light bulb that you changed..just some annoying bright thing!

by fester2000 on 2011-04-01 10:55:41

amgamg wrote:

Actually...12..6 more to tell ya its not a light bulb that you changed..just some annoying bright thing!

Plus however many users would have pointed out that the way others change light bulbs should only be a starting point, that changing a light bulb is all in the fingers and hands, and each of us has to find out which way works best for us at the end of the day. 

Cheers,

Fester2k

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-01 11:55:37

Question:

So who's the idiot?

A - The guy who's changing a light bulb

B-  The ones making a thread about it, or

C-  The one making a thread about the guy who is changing a light bulb and the five others making a thread about it?

D-  All of the above

E-  None of the above

My answer:

E- I'm the idiot... There's no light bulb in the first place!

by randall_d on 2011-04-01 13:15:36

Who told them to replace the bulb in the first place? Everyone knows that the old one is better.

by Pstrat on 2011-04-01 14:35:34

Well it takes about 40 users to rumour about the upcoming new lightbulb, 15 beta testers to evaluate and not say anything, 1 user who knows just enough about the lightbulb to miff/excite the original 40 and Line 6's product developement department to screw in a light bulb (this isn't a slam on Line 6 just, we can't do anything without you guys)

by silverhead on 2011-04-01 14:40:39

But if you want the absolute in terms of the ideal light bulb to be installed completely correctly by a pseudo-engineer whose eyesight is no doubt as good as his ears....... it only takes one! But he's apparently not here anymore!!

by Texxxxx on 2011-04-01 15:34:58

Light Bulb 1.0 was a lot better than 1.1.

What happend to the filament in 1.1?

It was lots warmer in 1.0!

I'm going back to 1.0.....

by Octo777 on 2011-04-01 16:05:51

Haha, my initial post was a playful dig at the folks who start threads about a subject even thought there is already 4 threads on the front page about the exact same thing but it's interesting to see how it has been interpreted with some added hilarity!

by jimbo5924 on 2011-04-02 06:56:26

CORRECTION!!!-It only takes TWO!  One to tell you that it's not the lightbulb in the firstplace that's out- it's your light socket and the second to tell you to just have PATIENCE and wait-because the sun might come out anyway.

why in the hell would you buy a pedal in the first place if not to use it for it's intended purpose  the FX !  What's the crap about "never mind how your POD is working (or not working)  "sound and tone" is in your fingers. Get that down first, before you start worrying about adding effects" ". Yeah to play guitar you have to know how to play guitar (duh!) but FX usually come from a pedal not our fingers.  Yes our playing styles and nuances effect our playing but I haven't seen too many people successful at getting distortion, wah-wah, flanger etc out of their fingers.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2011-04-02 07:54:03

Then there are the ones who insist that the lightbulb could never be as warm or have the mojo of their candles then tell us all that they're selling all their lightbulbs and going back to using their candles.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Octo777 on 2011-04-07 08:21:10

I think I need to adjust my initial answer to twenty now.

One to change the lightbulb, five to come along and start a thread about the same light bulb and then ten to come along and claim the lightbulb shouldn't be there and four to claim that the light bulb is supposed to be there and works just like the original light bulbs it's based on.........

by markbrid on 2011-04-07 08:27:15

No no no no no....  keep in mind it's not a real light bulb but a modeled one.  It takes every user of the Pod HD lightbulb model to try changing it; we'd be arguing the light spectrum isn't the same as a real bulb, it's not as bright, who cares if the bulb runs off 50 or 60Hz, etc...

by stumpsout on 2011-04-07 10:31:36

about 6

unless there are two lightbulbs, or certain types..

in which case, less people will be able to be used due to the DSP limit being reached

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-07 10:57:22

That is one useless thread we could have left with the deads!!!

by Octo777 on 2011-04-07 11:27:21

Xsample33 wrote:

That is one useless thread we could have left with the deads!!!

Boo hoo.

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-07 11:41:24

You know I'm right !!!

Boo hoo being our best argument

Actually thought it was funny at first, but it is getting redundant (Or Redumnent as Jake Harper would say!!!)

by Octo777 on 2011-04-07 11:48:00

Xsample33 wrote:

You know I'm right !!!

Boo hoo being our best argument

Actually thought it was funny at first, but it is getting redundant (Or Redumnent as Jake Harper would say!!!)

My boo hoo was in reference to your crying about the thread.

I mean, this is just a topical joke that keeps writing itself and here you are whining about it.

Maybe I should make the answer 21 and add another to come in and state that the light bulb is pointless and redundant.......

Hey, we can't all be comic geniuses like me! lol

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-07 11:52:17

Thanks for explaining it all...

I was lost there you know, your jokes and references being so genial and complex!!!

What would I do without you????

Thank you for being there!!!

by stumpsout on 2011-04-07 13:35:20

How long have you two been married?

by tahwos on 2011-04-09 17:24:35

Octo777 wrote:

Six.

One to change the light bulb and five to come along and start a thread about exactly the same light bulb........

Kinda like you did, when you realized that you didn't know how analog chorus works?

by Octo777 on 2011-04-10 00:10:33

tahwos wrote:

Octo777 wrote:

Six.

Kinda like you did, when you realized that you didn't know how analog chorus works?

Well, I don't know what your problem is but FYI, I searched the forum before I made that thread and didn't find anything matching the symptoms I was having.

Of course the major difference is that when I found out what the problem was, I thanked the person who told me and left it at that instead of insisting there must be a bug and demanding it be fixed.........

by tahwos on 2011-04-10 11:20:30

No problem Octo, just havin a little fun at your expense - I only noticed the chorus thing, cuz of this thread.

http://line6.com/community/message/248671#248671

I did a search and found several others dating back to x-mas of last year... but I see your aggravation, just look @ how many people are wanting a gig bag. Yes, people need to use the search feature, but Google works much better, as this one seems to default to "Documents", and I'm guessing few click the "more options" link to access "Discussions".

This forum could sure use a few stickies, if you ask me, but you didn't, so that's just my opinion at this point

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-10 11:48:31

+ 1 zillion for the Stickies!!!

BUT... if you notice.... it's not really forum admins (L6 employee and L6 experts) who complains about the behaviours of others as much as little nobodies who's trying to troll the Forum by putting some people down prabably because of some personnal acceptance issues!!!

That said, I am guilty, in looser (as in not strict) Forums like this one here to ask questions before searching. Some might say I'm lazy, but those people don't know me and would never consider in a second that in order to be efficient at most important aspects of my life, I do have to cut corners wherever it doesn't affect negatively the quality of my work and does not cause any harm to anyone.

Bottom line...

If there are still some people around here who are nice enough to repeat themselves many times for whatever reason (bored, nice, need to feel helpfull, Alzeihmer, etc...):

WHO GIVES A FLYING FAWK if some people ask before they search...

If you own the Forum and are annoyed by this... please, feel free to say whatever you want... If you do not own or manage this Forum.... SHUT THE HELLicopter UP!

by Octo777 on 2011-04-10 11:50:38

tahwos wrote:

No problem Octo, just havin a little fun at your expense - I only noticed the chorus thing, cuz of this thread.

http://line6.com/community/message/248671#248671

I did a search and found several others dating back to x-mas of last year... but I see your aggravation, just look @ how many people are wanting a gig bag. Yes, people need to use the search feature, but Google works much better, as this one seems to default to "Documents", and I'm guessing few click the "more options" link to access "Discussions".

This forum could sure use a few stickies, if you ask me, but you didn't, so that's just my opinion at this point

Sorry for my hosility, a lot of spurious claims being made about certain users of late so I got marginally defensive there.

I did actually see that thread when I did my search but it didn't match my symptoms hence why I did my thread.

What I find is that rather than hit enter in the search box, if you leave your entry open, then a list of actual related threads show up first but like the folks who don't use "more options", they may not be aware that even happens.

Indeed, the gig bag question is only one of the few FAQ's that could be added or like you say, at very least stickied.

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-10 11:52:57

+1

No excuse for not reading the FAQ's... Everyone should know this!!!

by tahwos on 2011-04-10 12:50:51

Octo777 wrote:

Sorry for my hosility, a lot of spurious claims being made about certain users of late so I got marginally defensive there.

I did actually see that thread when I did my search but it didn't match my symptoms hence why I did my thread.

What I find is that rather than hit enter in the search box, if you leave your entry open, then a list of actual related threads show up first but like the folks who don't use "more options", they may not be aware that even happens.

Indeed, the gig bag question is only one of the few FAQ's that could be added or like you say, at very least stickied.

It's all good... this forum has been pretty active (to put it mildly) since everyone got an HD for x-mas, or at tax-time (like I did). I just tried the search box thing - there is quite a delay (not instant, like Google), before it actually pops up, and that may be why myself and others were not aware of it. I still prefer the "more options" approach though - larger preview of related posts.

As more people become familiar with the HD, and more tips and tricks become "common knowledge", I think the animosity will settle down. For now the only advice I could give anyone on this forum, would be to exercise some patience, and probably do some moderate research, prior to replying to certain topics, especially ones that fall into the category of "new territory".

Personally, a copy of my manual is always open, when experimenting with my HD. I'm seriously thinking about printing it out, so I can "dog ear" and highlight stuff

by Octo777 on 2011-04-10 14:29:02

tahwos wrote:

Octo777 wrote:

It's all good... this forum has been pretty active (to put it mildly) since everyone got an HD for x-mas, or at tax-time (like I did). I just tried the search box thing - there is quite a delay (not instant, like Google), before it actually pops up, and that may be why myself and others were not aware of it. I still prefer the "more options" approach though - larger preview of related posts.

As more people become familiar with the HD, and more tips and tricks become "common knowledge", I think the animosity will settle down. For now the only advice I could give anyone on this forum, would be to exercise some patience, and probably do some moderate research, prior to replying to certain topics, especially ones that fall into the category of "new territory".

Personally, a copy of my manual is always open, when experimenting with my HD. I'm seriously thinking about printing it out, so I can "dog ear" and highlight stuff

If I was a cynical kind of person and given some more recent topics, I would suggest that certain folks are "extracting the urine" and posting certain common topics (possibly under different user names) in order to rile up other folks and potentially goad them into some kind of confrontation.

However, I'm not cynical and I fear that too many people just don't make any attempts to check stuff out before they post something and well, while it would make for a tidier forum that was easier to manouver, having repeated topics is certainly not the worst thing in the world.

As for the manual, I printed off a copy a couple of weeks ago and stuck it in a ring binder.

I now know why they didn't bother providing a copy with each device. It's HUGE.  heh.

by tahwos on 2011-04-10 16:47:18

I don't know about the user name thing, sounds kinda childish really... but anything is possible in a discussion forum (especially one full of guitar players).

Yeah, 103 pages is a lot... dialed down to a flip-book, prolly wouldn't be as big, but look at the printing cost they saved! I think most people opt to download manuals anymore anyway... they're easier to find, when you really need it...

Personally, I'm done with confrontation, I'm sure there will be a few "late to the party", that will have their 2 cents to a post or two, and they can have it... knee-jerk reactions have a way of high-jacking threads, and some people tend to gravitate to that - whether out of boredom, or self gratification - who knows? I don't and I don't care... guess that kinda makes me cynical, but oh well, nothing a fresh batch "new posts" won't cure

I like finding out new things that my HD will do - like the loop boost, volume assignment, and dry s/pdif... things realized by other people through questions, not by me while noodling.

by timowens on 2011-04-10 21:52:28

For someone who recently criticized another forum member of clogging this support forum with topics that don’t pertain to HD tech support, I find this thread a bit hypocritical. Just sayin...

by Octo777 on 2011-04-11 00:32:48

tahwos wrote:

I don't know about the user name thing, sounds kinda childish really... but anything is possible in a discussion forum (especially one full of guitar players).

Yeah, 103 pages is a lot... dialed down to a flip-book, prolly wouldn't be as big, but look at the printing cost they saved! I think most people opt to download manuals anymore anyway... they're easier to find, when you really need it...

Personally, I'm done with confrontation, I'm sure there will be a few "late to the party", that will have their 2 cents to a post or two, and they can have it... knee-jerk reactions have a way of high-jacking threads, and some people tend to gravitate to that - whether out of boredom, or self gratification - who knows? I don't and I don't care... guess that kinda makes me cynical, but oh well, nothing a fresh batch "new posts" won't cure

I like finding out new things that my HD will do - like the loop boost, volume assignment, and dry s/pdif... things realized by other people through questions, not by me while noodling.

Well sadly there does seem to be a lot of childish folks who post on the forum and some I can let slide, others are just too puerile to let pass without commenting.

The version I printed was something like 180 pages! It had a lot more info than the revised versions so it's all good.

I don't outwardly seek confrontation, not in my everyday life and particularly not on internet forums, but with the same token I will stand my ground if need be.

The forum is most definitely a great tool for getting the most out of the HD's and thats why I keep coming back. I wouldn't have learned half as much about the HD's without the forums.

timowens wrote:

For someone who recently criticized another forum member of clogging this support forum with topics that don’t pertain to HD tech support, I find this thread a bit hypocritical. Just sayin...

Clogging up this support forum with off topics is one thing.

However this thread has form and function in as much that anyone who takes time to read it will get the message that it's wise to do a search prior to posting a new topic. And they might even have a chuckle along the way.

I chose to use a bit of panache/use humour to convey the message than be whiney/snarky as too much of that goes on already.

And sorry but ending your post with "Just sayin..." really didn't help your cause.

by timowens on 2011-04-11 05:19:28

Octo777 wrote:

timowens wrote:

Clogging up this support forum with off topics is one thing.

However this thread has form and function in as much that anyone who takes time to read it will get the message that it's wise to do a search prior to posting a new topic. And they might even have a chuckle along the way.

I chose to use a bit of panache/use humour to convey the message than be whiney/snarky as too much of that goes on already.

And sorry but ending your post with "Just sayin..." really didn't help your cause.

Don't take it so personal, I was "just sayin" if you want to elect yourself Police Chief and clean up this forum, you should do so fairly.

by tahwos on 2011-04-11 05:32:13

180 pages??? Where did you get this manual? I'd like to see it, really... what kind of additional info is included?

I've got revision E, but it still says revision D in the title bar.

Yeah, there do seem to be a few with their token slam, ready and willing for the next post they can "pwn". But alas, this forum isn't really moderated, so it's up to us, as adults, to set the mood, and benefit from it, or slack and ruin it... ya know?

Just like the chorus thread I linked to... a lot of people were on top of it and totally into work arounds and fixes, just to realize that's how the effect was meant to work all along, Line 6 just finally got it right (chorus). I'll have to admit, I did smile at the irony of this thread, but at the same time, in title alone, it was doomed for "pick on Octo" week. I just chose to add some perspective content to my post (in the form of a question), versus an outright "youtubish" response... ehem ;-)

On the point of chorus btw... headphones seem to be creeping into the picture more frequently nowadays... and I suspect moving from 6 feet away, to right on your head, has a lot to do with how people are viewing/hearing the textures and dynamics of their modeled gear. Just listen to your favorite CD both ways... totally different spectrum of sound... left and right is more visible, delay trails on longer and even present where it wasn't even noticeable before, or here's my favorite... John Bonham's Speed King squeaking on various Zep tracks... classic example of "wtf? wow! really?".

My current dysfunction is Pre vs. Full vs. Combo Pwr vs. Studio... into the Board is obvious, but deciding which to build tones on, is another story all together. Given the the capacity of 8 setlist, I may even opt to create one patch for each method. Add in playing solitary guitar at home, versus in a noisy bar or an open practice room... I sometimes fall back on "just play what works, and don't mess with it...". I'm scared to take my HD to practice, we're there to get the songs tight, not tweak the settings on my new patch that may or may not work. I've got my "me" sounds, but honestly, my 400 was easier to setup - not as many variables or possible layers.

Ramble done... gotta check my email for post replies ;-)

by timowens on 2011-04-11 05:43:04

tahwos wrote:

... Just listen to your favorite CD both ways... totally different spectrum of sound... left and right is more visible, delay trails on longer and even present where it wasn't even noticeable before, or here's my favorite... John Bonham's Speed King squeaking on various Zep tracks... classic example of "wtf? wow! really?"...

I remember that, Physical Graffiti was one of first CD's I got and I remember thinking what is that noise, oh wow, that is the bass pedal squeaking.

by tahwos on 2011-04-11 06:03:39

timowens wrote:

tahwos wrote:

... Just listen to your favorite CD both ways... totally different spectrum of sound... left and right is more visible, delay trails on longer and even present where it wasn't even noticeable before, or here's my favorite... John Bonham's Speed King squeaking on various Zep tracks... classic example of "wtf? wow! really?"...

I remember that, Physical Graffiti was one of first CD's I got and I remember thinking what is that noise, oh wow, that is the bass pedal squeaking.

My first set was a 1971 Ludwig, with all the original hardware and stands... one of the first songs I learned to play was "The Immigrant Song". That squeaking drove me nuts, then a friend of mine queued me into the trivia... I never doubted that worn out floppy Speed King again

by Octo777 on 2011-04-11 06:10:07

timowens wrote:

Don't take it so personal, I was "just sayin" if you want to elect yourself Police Chief and clean up this forum, you should do so fairly.

And therein lies the problem with ending comments with "just sayin".

It's clearly a personal comment, directed at someone, in this case me, but the "Just sayin" is supposed to give a pass to being rude.

It's a passive aggressive way of implying that the personal comment you just made, wasn't actually personal at all but in reality, anyone with half a smidgen of reading comprehension knows exactly what was meant.

As for the police chief comment.....well, thats actually pretty funny.

tahwos wrote:

180 pages??? Where did you get this manual? I'd like to see it, really... what kind of additional info is included?

I've got revision E, but it still says revision D in the title bar.

Yeah, there do seem to be a few with their token slam, ready and willing for the next post they can "pwn". But alas, this forum isn't really moderated, so it's up to us, as adults, to set the mood, and benefit from it, or slack and ruin it... ya know?

Just like the chorus thread I linked to... a lot of people were on top of it and totally into work arounds and fixes, just to realize that's how the effect was meant to work all along, Line 6 just finally got it right (chorus). I'll have to admit, I did smile at the irony of this thread, but at the same time, in title alone, it was doomed for "pick on Octo" week. I just chose to add some perspective content to my post (in the form of a question), versus an outright "youtubish" response... ehem ;-)

On the point of chorus btw... headphones seem to be creeping into the picture more frequently nowadays... and I suspect moving from 6 feet away, to right on your head, has a lot to do with how people are viewing/hearing the textures and dynamics of their modeled gear. Just listen to your favorite CD both ways... totally different spectrum of sound... left and right is more visible, delay trails on longer and even present where it wasn't even noticeable before, or here's my favorite... John Bonham's Speed King squeaking on various Zep tracks... classic example of "wtf? wow! really?".

My current dysfunction is Pre vs. Full vs. Combo Pwr vs. Studio... into the Board is obvious, but deciding which to build tones on, is another story all together. Given the the capacity of 8 setlist, I may even opt to create one patch for each method. Add in playing solitary guitar at home, versus in a noisy bar or an open practice room... I sometimes fall back on "just play what works, and don't mess with it...". I'm scared to take my HD to practice, we're there to get the songs tight, not tweak the settings on my new patch that may or may not work. I've got my "me" sounds, but honestly, my 400 was easier to setup - not as many variables or possible layers.

Ramble done... gotta check my email for post replies ;-)

I have revision B and it has 179 pages as opposed to the newest Revision E with as you say 103 pages. (it says D in the title bar for me too.

I've not been through it page by page to draw full comparison but a lot of the changes have been formatting although there are some tables and other information missing from the new edition.

I've attached it below so you can have a look yourself.

I had been using quite a soft Chorus setting prior and it was only after ramping it up and playing through headphones that I noticed the difference. I try and get some kind of balance between my live patches when playing them through headphones. Although I don't have a super amazing pair of headphones, I've found they are decent enough for making tweaks and so far my live settings haven't been too shabby.

That said, if money was no object I think I would take a lot of the guess work out of live settings etc and just pick me up a DT50 for Electric stuff and an Atomic Powered Cab for my Acoustic. Right now I'm at the mercy of the desk for the most part.

by amgamg on 2011-04-11 06:11:15

Wish You Were Here...there's misgivens all over..but listen closely to the title song....sloppy..sloppy..and the world responded..so what!

by timowens on 2011-04-11 06:47:04

Like I said, don't take it so personal, where I come from "just sayin" means just that, "I'm just saying", as in I'm just throwing this out there, not trying to start an argument, etc.. If you are going to Police this forum you need to understand that there are people here from many different cultures and sometimes people will say things that your culture might consider offensive but in reality, there was never any offense intended.

by timowens on 2011-04-11 06:48:00

amgamg wrote:

Wish You Were Here...there's misgivens all over..but listen closely to the title song....sloppy..sloppy..and the world responded..so what!

What ???

by Xsample33 on 2011-04-11 07:28:31

Thanks... I though it was just me...

I reiterate!!!!

WHAT??????

by amgamg on 2011-04-11 08:12:17

Listen to the intro..its sloppy. I think it is. Its not perfect. Not the same category as a squeak.... now ..I'm just saying. Never mind not important.

OK..its slightly important...for what reason I dont know why..but...listen to the intro to Wish You Were Here. Theres a slight sizzle...a swirl noise..even if thats intended...theres a cough...clearing of a nose, a sniffing in sound & an inward breath.

by Octo777 on 2011-04-11 08:59:16

amgamg wrote:

Listen to the intro..its sloppy. I think it is. Its not perfect. Not the same category as a squeak.... now ..I'm just saying. Never mind not important.

OK..its slightly important...for what reason I dont know why..but...listen to the intro to Wish You Were Here. Theres a slight sizzle...a swirl noise..even if thats intended...theres a cough...clearing of a nose, a sniffing in sound & an inward breath.

Some debate that the cough and the sniff are meant to be there as they signify someone listening to the radio as per the rest of the intro. Some say that it signifys David Gilmour quitting smoking,

I've heard the story about the smoking thing except what I heard was not that it was meant to signify Gilmour quitting smoking, but was the catylyst that led him to stop after hearing the take played back and as such was left in.

I don't however think that the two examples are comparible as one is possibly an oversight (pedal), the other a live take caught beautifully with some added meaning that could only have been caught right there and then.

by amgamg on 2011-04-11 09:29:47

Maybe its not in the same catagory...maybe it is...truthfully....they could have looked at each other and said we'll call it art if anyone complains. Reminds me of some of the crap I made in art class. Once it got outta hand enough...I simply looked and said...thats abstract...yes thats what it is! 

by Octo777 on 2011-04-11 09:45:26

amgamg wrote:

Maybe its not in the same catagory...maybe it is...truthfully....they could have looked at each other and said we'll call it art if anyone complains. Reminds me of some of the crap I made in art class. Once it got outta hand enough...I simply looked and said...thats abstract...yes thats what it is! 

Well I thought about that too, but figured if they wanted to edited or mixed the cough and sniff out, they could have, but didn't...... heh.

After listening to the song so many times, I think it would be odd if it wasn't there now. It's as much a part of the song as the solo it preceeds imo.

by amgamg on 2011-04-11 10:11:37

Oh yeah..its the song and thats that. It belongs there at this stage of the game. Thing is....when that was recorded...the only way to really fix it would be to re record it.....had to be.  It must have bleed through. No Pro Tools to make life easy. Either way I've loved that song..that album for years. I still listen it .

by markbrid on 2011-04-11 10:26:34

Man I love little sonic tidbits like the coughing and sniffles.  Makes it sound human.  Here's a few  more:

1) In the intro to Dust In The Wind, a few beats before the first Am - C chord transition, you can hear a huge clanging note, either a missed note or when you are alternate picking and your thumbnail snags a string.

2) The famous one in Satisfaction where Richards steps on his fuzztone and you can hear it click on.

3) In Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum, during the first toggle switch solo, you can clearly hear the switch clicking.

4) After the first snare drum roll near the beginning of Madame George (off the album Astral Weeks) by Van Morrison, you can hear the drummer place his sticks together and put them on the music stand.  You can also hear other assorted pages turn and shuffle throughout the beginning of the song.

5) My favorite; listen to almost any Christopher Parkening classical guitar performance, especially while backing a singer or playing with an ensemble.  He moans all the way through, and the moaning gets louder as the music or singer crescendoes.  It's very distracting once you notice it.

There are many more.  All these tidbits are stuff that, once you hear it, you can never listen to the song the same way again.

by Octo777 on 2011-04-11 10:41:10

amgamg wrote:

Oh yeah..its the song and thats that. It belongs there at this stage of the game. Thing is....when that was recorded...the only way to really fix it would be to re record it.....had to be.  It must have bleed through. No Pro Tools to make life easy. Either way I've loved that song..that album for years. I still listen it .

Well, they might have been able to splice the tape, but that would have been rather time consuming.

My guess is that if they wanted rid of it then it would have been done in the Master Mix maybe? i.e. leaving the channel/s with the cough down till after the event and then bring up the fader once it was past.

It's a song I know very well and often use for teaching purposes. Love it.

markbrid wrote:

Man I love little sonic tidbits like the coughing and sniffles.  Makes it sound human.  Here's a few  more:

1) In the intro to Dust In The Wind, a few beats before the first Am - C chord transition, you can hear a huge clanging note, either a missed note or when you are alternate picking and your thumbnail snags a string.

2) The famous one in Satisfaction where Richards steps on his fuzztone and you can hear it click on.

3) In Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum, during the first toggle switch solo, you can clearly hear the switch clicking.

4) After the first snare drum roll near the beginning of Madame George (off the album Astral Weeks) by Van Morrison, you can hear the drummer place his sticks together and put them on the music stand.  You can also hear other assorted pages turn and shuffle throughout the beginning of the song.

5) My favorite; listen to almost any Christopher Parkening classical guitar performance, especially while backing a singer or playing with an ensemble.  He moans all the way through, and the moaning gets louder as the music or singer crescendoes.  It's very distracting once you notice it.

There are many more.  All these tidbits are stuff that, once you hear it, you can never listen to the song the same way again.

Nice!

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-04-11 11:02:49

Octo777 wrote:

Six.

Or...

One user who claims to have eyes that can detect a distinct difference in brilliance and fidelity between the original bulb and one that costs 4 times more than the original and is the "industry standard" bulb found in every major recording studio across the planet.

But it's not like the original bulb didn't work, he just ripped the working original one out of its socket before he realized he didn't have enough cash on hand to buy the replacement bulb, and now he plays in the dark.  With himself.

by tahwos on 2011-04-11 11:39:18

Octo,

Thanks for the manual, giving a read now ;-)

amgamg,

I think I'm with everyone else on the Pink Floyd thing - they did a lot of crazy stuff, quite deliberately, while everyone else, just left stuff in, because it gave it character (a vibe so to speak). Waters and Gilmore strived on the abstract and unconventional - with one rumored recording to have occurred on the toilet, because one of them was too whacked out to function otherwise. (From what I recall, it was Roger Waters, with a handheld recorder, while taking a dump). Now that's some crazy s***!!!

markbrid,

Impressive list!!! I'm going to have to Google the moaning - sounds hilarious!!!

Xsample33 and timowens,

I think it's safe to say that this thread has become useful, now if the OP can get with the program, we'll be all OK... (just kiddin' Octo , tell me you didn't laugh, I dare ya)

Karl,

I think we're all guilty of that - guitar players aren't known for lengthy relationships

by amgamg on 2011-04-11 14:55:01

In the end do we really know...do we really care...not me...not you..whatever it is its the stuff of legends for sure

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.