These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

A pedal for an acustic guitar??
by cristian_amp on 2011-04-01 20:54:51

I want to know witch pedal (or effects processor) could work to used with my acustic nylon guitar. thanks

Re: A pedal for an acustic guitar??
by amx05462 on 2011-04-01 20:56:46

id  imagine  any  affects  pedal that would   work  with  any  other  guitar    will work  with   your  guitar  naturally line  6 would  suggest  one  of there  own.

Re: ₪฿>D}... Excellency! Your persistence prevails!!!
by JellyWheat on 2011-04-01 21:11:15

... they are beginning to spell and type like Yourself, Great One!

O joy!

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-04-01 21:19:49

yes  i see. i may have  created  what i will call   amxbonics.

persistance  you  know  persistance...............

by amx05462 on 2011-04-01 21:25:40

http://www.sillyhumor.com/gaspass.html

ihave  one  of these

by cristian_amp on 2011-04-01 21:42:56

believe me not every pedal will work for my guitar...

by JellyWheat on 2011-04-02 02:47:50

This is actually sort of a silly discussion, since the question should be framed around the kind of sound you envision creating and not "what will work".

The characteristic sound of a nylon string is due to the presence of a rapidly-decaying, strong fundamental, with few overtone series residing on the string. Certain electric guitar effects work off the overtones produced by the guitar to a much greater extent than they depend on the fundamental. A nylon string guitar has LOTS of fundamental, but little in the line of overtones, and the overtones it does produce are even-numbered.

Distortion effects typically emphasize odd-numbered harmonic series. Some effects are based on detuning, some on phasing characteristics of a split signal, etc., etc.. The relatively rapid decay of nylon string notes attenuates the "processed" sound perceived by the listener. Modulation and delay effects should work fine with the Variax 300 Nylon, whereas gain (distortion) and compression effects may not work so well.

Please excuse my lack of enthusiasm in answering your question in its present form. It would be easier and more interesting if we were actually contemplating the creation of a particular musical result instead of "what will work" [...work to accomplish what end?].

Regards,

JellyWheat

["Aurum ex faeces non surrepsit" Marcus Tullius Cicero circa 65 B.C.r

by amx05462 on 2011-04-02 04:07:42

oh oh.  ill be  loosing   pernts  for an incorrect  answer  i suppose.

sorry  i based  my  answer  on the  question  which  was   waht  will  work  with     my   guitar.

over  here  at  my  place   all pedals  work  with  my   classical  guitar  with  the  martin pickup.   and i have   frequently   used  it  through  a  tonelab  pedal.

then  again............its  not a variax....    so  i understand.

btw  good  morning  J/W    fellow  knoght of the  trapasoidal  table

im afraid  ill have  to pass  on this  question then

by JellyWheat on 2011-04-02 04:28:42

Good morning Fellow Knought! Be careful not to break wind inside your suit of armour, or you may pass out, Excellency!

All kidding aside, I was going to say the same as you when I first read the question... theoretically, any pedal should work with input from a piezo-eqipped classical guitar. HOW WELL the effect does its job, however, will depend on the nature of the tone shaping the pedal is designed to perform. Your Martin pickup is probably pretty "hot" compared to a lot of others, and you are right: the output from the Variax is not a  raw direct out from the transducer. The signal has already been processed quite a bit by the time it gets to the input stage of the pedal, and may not be delivering exactly the kind of input signal the pedal needs to work properly.

I also have to wonder what the effects chain looks like, and where the TRS cable enters the picture. Seems to me that the Variax would have to be powered off batteries for one to be able to insert a pedal into the signal chain. Seeing as there are so many REALLY knowledgeable electronics whizzes on this Forum, I will not embarrass myself with any further technically-related speculation in this regard.

Regardless of what the hookup looks like, I would still be starting from a premise like:

I want to add a lush, chorus effect to my Nylon sound. Can I do this with my existing Boss pedal? If so, can I connect my guitar directly to the pedal, or should I route it through the effects loop of my amp?

This type of question, I feel, would generate a more fruitful discussion, although I can see that it might be useful to know, in general terms, how to correctly hook a Variax up to a standard pedalboard...

My $0.02/FWIW/YMMV

JellyWheat

by amx05462 on 2011-04-02 04:48:28

well once  again  were  both on the  same  track.     i would have  thought  the   next post  would  have been  im trying  to achieve........

but  the  return  was pretty  much   i dont  know    the  answer  hes  looking  for  so i    waited  for your  response.

as to the trs. in my  experience  with  my 300    the trs carries  power  to the  guitar  but the  output  to   pedal or  amp is  not   carrying  that same  power   . so if  things  work   correctly then....   the  output  is  just the generated  signal

thats as  far as  i dare  go  for  fear  of loosing  more  pernts  to my lack  of foresite.

by JellyWheat on 2011-04-02 05:06:01

amx05462 wrote:

thats as  far as  i dare  go  for  fear  of loosing  more  pernts  to my lack  of foresite.

I'm with you, buddy!

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-04-02 05:13:42

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.