These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Mag pickup output in JTV guitars
by yainkee on 2011-04-04 09:23:43

Can you please tell me the exact output of the different magnetic pickups in each of the JTV guitars? I want to know what to look for should I decide to change the pickups. There's a lot going on in there so I would rather not mess with the outputs form the pickups.

Thank you.

Re: Mag pickup output in JTV guitars
by gtrman100 on 2011-04-04 10:10:12

I'm not sure what you mean by exact output. Do you mean output in milivolts, or the wound resistance of the pickups? I can tell you that the 69 single coils are in the low average range, similar to a vintage Fender pickup, and the humbucker is a bit hotter than a PAF.

Re: Mag pickup output in JTV guitars
by yainkee on 2011-04-04 10:20:04

I'm guess I don't know enough about electronics. I meant, how many ohms? 7k? 9k? etc., If I wanted to replace the pickups, specifically on the JTV-59, should I get ones with vintage output, low output, medium output, or high output pickups?

RE: Mag pickup output in JTV guitars
by Line6Don on 2011-04-07 11:12:59

Hey yainkee,

We do not have any published specs for the JTV series guitar pick ups. You can install any type of pick up you like, they all will work, it just depends on the sound you are looking for. You should research the different sounds produced by each type of pickup before deciding on one. In addition, installing new pick ups on the JTV is not supported under warranty.

I hope this helps

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.