These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Positioning of the FX Loop in chain for four cable method: Practical uses in HD 500
by Caxito on 2011-04-04 20:02:23

Hello everybody,

I tried to understand the configuration of the method 4 cables in HD 500, but still did not understand precisely the possibilities given at the end of the line video tutorial on this subject. I am Brazilian and difficulties in interpreting the English, which limited my understanding.

When you open the FX Loop in HD, the possibilities for the location of that block in the chain.

At Pre, before the mixer, or post, after the mixer?

What is the signal processing in each of these positions?

What utilities in each of these positions?

It could be, for example, if a distortion, would use the amp distorcion with effects of the POD and then to sound clean, would use
the pod preamp modulations in the power amp? How this would happen?

How can I make these and other settings?

Give me, if possible, a practical description of chains for these possibilities.

Thanks

Re: Positioning of the FX Loop in chain for four cable method: Practical uses in HD 500
by Caxito on 2011-04-04 20:06:10

Sorry for English

Re: Positioning of the FX Loop in chain for four cable method: Practical uses in HD 500
by Xsample33 on 2011-04-05 05:20:45

I'm not sure I understand you, but with the 4CM, the FX loop block determine at what point the signal will be sent to your amp's preamp.

I think this method is better suited for those who do not want to use the amp models but only the effects. That way they can determine which effects goes on front of the amp (before the effects block) and which one goes in the effects loop of the amp (after the FX loop block)

It also enables you to either use your amp's preamp to make up your sound if there is an FX loop in the patch or if for some patches you want to use an amp model, you just don't place any FX loop block and it's just like your using your pod in the power amp section of your amp!

Cheers

Hope this helps!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-04-05 07:07:47

Hi Caxito

No worries - your English is pretty good and I'm pretty sure I understand your question.

Imagine a real amp and a collection of stomp pedals and a Wah and how that would work with your amp.  Say the stomp pedals we have include a Cry Baby Wah Wah, a Boss DS1 Distortion, and Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9, a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble and a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay

You would probably set up your signal chain something like this with the Wah, Distortion and Overdrive going between the guitar and the amp's front input, and the others going into the amp's FX loop, so with a real amp and real pedals:

Guitar > Cry Baby Wah > Boss DS-1 > Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 > Amp Guitar Input  > Amp FX Loop SEND > Boss CE-5 Chorus > Boss DD-3 Digital Delay > Amp FX loop RETURN

It's the same with the HD500

With the 4 Cable Method you would use the HD500 as an FX ONLY pedal board so you would not use an amp model.

To create something similar to the amp plus real stomp boxes with the HD500 you could try this

Guitar > HD500 input > (HD500 signal chain) > Wah (Weeper) > Distortion (Classic Dist) > Distortion (Screamer) > FX Loop (HD500 FX Send > Amp Front input, Amp FX Send > HD500 FX Return (Left/Mono)) > Amp Block (NONE) > Mixer Block > Modulation (Analog Chorus) > Delay (Digital Delay) > HD500 1/4" Out > Amp FX Loop Return

That would work in the same way as the real amp plus real FX stomp boxes

I hope that makes sense to you

Regards

Nick

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.