These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DR Z AirBrake + DT50 + HD500 = sweetness
by Lespaulidas on 2011-04-06 10:48:47

Just thought I'd let you all know about the DR Z AirBrake Attenuator and the DT50 w/ the HD500.

http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html

I tried this out yesterday, and it works beautifully.    I can have my DT on full power mode, with pres on the HD500, pushing the tubes, and play as low as a bedroom level real nicely.   Man oh man what sweet tone goodness I get out at any level.  Especially true for the hi gain models.

Don't get me wrong, the low power mode with the modeling was nice, and useable, but this setup with the airbrake produces incredible goodness in the tone at ANY DB level!  Loving my rig now more than ever.  The best thing about the airbrake, is no power is required to the unit.

Hope this helps anyone who's thought of trying this.

Re: DR Z AirBrake + DT50 + HD500 = sweetness
by arcticman on 2011-04-06 19:04:26

Happy to hear it works so well... I've considered adding a Dr Z AB too, thought it might be the way to go for recording at lower levels.

At what level are you running the DT50 master volume?

Can you describe the difference in tone between the Full models and pre models with the Z?

Is there a concern with prematurely burning out the tubes when using a power attenuator like the Z?

Cheers

by Lespaulidas on 2011-04-07 07:15:39

Hello Articman,

I'm running the master volume at about 2-3 o'clock.  As far as the difference in tone between the Pre's and Full's.  It's the difference you'd expect.  I tend to use more of the Pre's which suit my tastes (park is one of my favs).  But to absolutely honest I haven't yet spent a ton of time analyzing Pre's versus fulls with the Dr Z AB yet.   I also really haven't had alot of time to sit for a few hours and recreate my patches with the z in mind, but have just spent time trying a few amps, and I end up loving the tone quickly and getting lost jammin for an hour, LMAO.

My understanding about tube life, is related to how hard you push the master, but I'm far from being an expert on this.   I would guess with it sitting on 2-3 oclock would be ok.

I'll try and report more when I have more time to spend with it.

by arcticman on 2011-04-07 10:11:38

Thanks for the feedback Les.

I didn't word my question right. What I'm most curious about is the difference in tone between a HD500 patch with a Full amp model no Z vs. same Pre amp model with the Z.

or plugging direct into the DT50 (no HD500) select your favorite Voicing... DT50 master pushed in (full power mode) with the Z  vs.  DT50 master pulled out no Z.

I haven't had my DT50 master any where near 2-3 oclock in full power mode!

Cheers

by Lespaulidas on 2011-04-07 10:34:03

Well I can honestly say that when I saw this video(linked below) , it peaked my interest to try a Dr Z.     Because when I play at home, I have a set of patches with a Full amp model, pull the amp into low power mode, and have the modeling simulate the power tubes being cranked.    When I want to play louder, I really prefer the pre's  and put the dt50 in full power mode.  However in full power mode, I rarely could turn the master up enough to really push the amp. it's freaking loud!  On a few occasions I was able to crank it up, and the DT just sings when pushed.  So I decided to try the Z, to push the DT at lower volumes and keep all my presets the same for playing anywhere (besides a minor on the fly adjustment).    Now I just use the Z volume knob for my Overall Master volume control.  Kind of nice when dialing in your volume when setting up.  Or quick adjustments on the fly, without messing with the DT master.

So here's the vid of guitarplayer.com reviewing the hd/dt combo. You probably saw it already.  This would be the best representative sound comparison for the DT with or without the DR Z .  Note how the reviewer talks about when in full power versus low power modeling.   The low power is definitely great sounding and useable, but the full just is full of richness.  With the Z, the richness is always there, (unless you turn it so low you can barely hear the amp).  Turning the dial on the Z, just increases/decreases db without affecting tone of the amp's master setting.

http://bcove.me/hmtndg38

Maybe that clears up what you're asking?

I know it's a bit pricey, and not necessary for everyone, but I am loving it!

by arcticman on 2011-04-07 11:01:11

Thanks again Les, I may invest in a Z AB... I'm going to wait for the new update and see how the Full models react with the DT50 and the new Sag, Hum, Bias, Bias Excursion and Master Volume controls.

One more question... how hot does the Dr Z get?

Cheers

by Lespaulidas on 2011-04-07 11:12:15

No problem man.  Yeah I'd actually bought it before the 1.3 announcement.   But anyways, I'll use it on my hot rod deville if I find I dont need it for the DT after firmware changes.   I really like it though on the DT.

As far as heat,  I'm not sure what's happening inside the Z box, but it was just warm to the touch on the outside.  My DT was a little warmer though , but not much.

If you are still interested after 1.3 and want more info, let me know.  I'l have some more experience with it by then as well.

by roaster on 2011-04-11 10:13:25

Wow man how do you get your DT50 running at 2 or 3 o'clock on the master without blowing the windows out, are you turning the HD volume right down?

Thanks

by Lespaulidas on 2011-04-11 10:52:48

By using the AirBrake, which is what the thread is about.  I don't really like to dial the POD way down (via amp channel volume), because then when you download a tone from custom tone or when creating a new one, you get blown away by selecting an amp that has channel volume up.  I prefer to keep levels easily manageable,  as I tend to screw around with new tones alot.   I can;t stand getting my ear drums blown when switching between patches or trying new amps, or custom tones. 

So with the airbrake, the DT master volume can be where you want it to be, and then you adjust the airbrake dial to bring volume down to the amp's speaker.  The airbrake sits between the DT head's speaker out, and the speaker itself.  It attenuates the signal to bring DB down in the speaker only.  Therefore the DT's REAL tubes are saturated (correct term?) , and you get killer killer tone, from bedroom levels up to gig levels.

I'm no airbrake salesman, or pro engineer, just a guy who loves to play, and happened to stumble on the airbrake, and love it!  It's really a great idea for any loud amp you have.  I also have a Fender  Hot Rod Deville, that has a fantastic tone when the master is pushed , but it was ALWAYS too loud, so I'd turn it down and never push the tubes, and lose the creamy tube tone.  Now with the airbrake it's useable again at any level!

by JB1973 on 2011-05-10 15:29:56

any chance you could post like some comparison clips of the tone? I have personally started using full models but with the volume pushed in, after seeing it done on youtube. I prefer it over pulling the knob out. It also allows me to take the same tones to a PA or record, instead of multiple settings for one tone. But the better the sound the better .......is there youtube clips of someone using it with a dt50? I have not seen it as of yet.

thanks

jb

by Lespaulidas on 2011-05-17 10:41:05

Hi JB,

Unfortunetly I do not have any video or sound files.

All I can say is it sounds freaking incredible!  As I said I run the master on full power about 1-2 o'clock, and attenuate the voluem to the speaker with the dial on the Dr Z to achieve gig volume or beadroom volume.  The tone pretty much stays the same besides the fletcher-munson stuff,  which makes it easy to use only one set of patches for any volume.   Its nice to drive the DT50 power amp.  All the PRE amps models in the HD500 sounds great like this, especially with the 1.31 update, they sound even better now.

You will not be sorry about the Dr Z Airbrake investment.  It truly puts the DT50 / HD500 rig over the top IMO.

by JB1973 on 2011-07-14 06:28:02

Any luck reducing the master volume parameter from the new update in the hd500 to get a similar effect?

by bartpuglise on 2011-08-14 08:55:01

I stumbled upon your post after recently posting a duplicate question. I have a DT50 head with a Avatar 2x12 cab at 4ohms. I have a pod HD500 and just picked up an AirBrake. I run all my patches based on pre amp models as I play out often. I just hooked up the airbrake yesterday and I am not noticing much of a volume difference. I was wondering what your pod settings and dt50 master settings are. I'm also using the L6 link.

by Lespaulidas on 2011-08-14 15:30:59

I'm running hd500 with Line 6 link connection to my dt50 212.  I have the airbrake sitting between the 16ohm out and the stock speakers.  My dt50 master sits between 12-2 o'clock depending how quiet I need to be.  Channel volume varies on the amp I'm using.  At home I have the airbrake attenuation set at 'bedroom' level.  And on my airbrake there's a fine adjustment for bedroom level, that's set to 'max'.   These settings work great for home.  My baby can sleep down the hall no problem.  When playing out or with a band, I simply turn the attenuation dial on the airbrake to 0,1,2, or 3 depending what volume I need.

There's a huge difference in volume on my rig with the airbrake attenuation on.   It sounds like something may be wrong with yours. If I removed mine while at home and didn't adjust the master, I'd break windows, nevermind wake our sleeping baby. 

Also I've been using the airbrake for quite a while now with the above settings and my tubes are still nice, and everything's works like a charm!

by bartpuglise on 2011-08-14 18:09:21

Hey thanks,

I did get it to work properly Just had to mess around with the HD500 a bit. It does sound great cant wait to use it at next band rehearsal. Thanks for the response. I'm planning on continuing to use the pre-amp models as they sound the best on the DT50

by Lespaulidas on 2011-08-15 10:57:26

I'm glad you got it to work!   I forgot to mention, I also use only PRE models as well.  They sound great with that master cranked...

by JB1973 on 2011-08-16 18:40:45

let us know how the band practice goes, comparing the sound with and without!

thx

by JB1973 on 2011-08-16 19:24:54

went back and watching the youtube vids on it again and the thing that always gets me is I can't hear a difference in volume when they change it, lol

i am using the hd500 + dt50 l6 link'd with full models and full power amp with the amp on like 1 or 2 playing by myself and maybe 3 with band. And it sounds good, like a cranked tube amp. So I would jump on board but since I can't try one out its very hard to do so.... I need to hear a difference somewhere, any links or something I could check out?

by bartpuglise on 2011-08-17 04:51:15

Okay so rehearsal went well last nite. Although I have over 35 patches on my HD500 some of those will need to be tweaked due to volume differences. I'm not sure if the Airbrake affected this but it's a minor issue. I'd recommend anyone who owns the DT50 to splurge on the Airbrake. I wish I had one 25 yrs ago when I had my Marshall stack. Probably would have avoided "You're too Fu**ing loud" comments from bandmates LOL!!

by Lespaulidas on 2011-08-17 06:38:20

Hi JB,

I dont have any sample audio to show you that would demonstrat that, maybe BART can provide.   Its kind of hard to demonstrate the volume difference anyhow without being in the room in my opinion to really feel it.  All I can tell you on the max attenuation setting, I have the amp master on 2 O'clock and a TREADPLATE PRE model at about 11-12 oclock(I think - not in front of it now), and I can play at home like I said with a 6 month year old sleeping 20 feet away without disturbing her.  All the while having creamy tubeness generated by the amp as you'd expect.   And of course when you need to be louder, just turn the dial on the AIRBRAKE anywhere from the lowest setting I mentioned above up to no attenuation at all(VERY LOUD).   

BART - would you say thats an accurate description?

by JB1973 on 2011-08-17 13:15:13

my next purchase is a fishman loudbox performer to go with my new breedlove acoustic but i am interested in this

I can't find any retailer with the full version in stock a nice return policy also required.

where did you guys find yours

J

by Lespaulidas on 2011-08-17 13:26:20

I got mine at Humbucker Music

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/drzairbrliby.html

by JB1973 on 2011-08-17 19:17:25

sweet thx for the tip, they do have one in stock their return policy kinda sucks, nice on days but fees could cost close to a hundred bucks for restocking fee and shipping to and from. Wish musiciansfriend would carry one i could buy with confidence. But for a brick and mortar its probably not going to get much better.

one question could using one of these effect the direct out, i use it for recording allot

by bartpuglise on 2011-08-18 05:44:08

I don't believe a home recording will do the AB justice just as that video didn't impress me. I live in Chicago and I picked mine up on Craigs List. It was slightly used but I paid 250.00 for it so I'm not complaining. I did see a post as well about the Direct Out on the DT50. I would think that the volume level output on the Direct Out will be high when used in conjunction with the Airbrake. Keep in mind you are manipulating the output level after it leaves the amp but before it hits the cabinet or speakers

by JB1973 on 2011-08-20 10:57:40

Ya I am thinking the recoding will suffer, however it might be fine assuming just lowering the mixer (between the amp and pc) would compensate and not clip

by BMoe on 2011-08-22 11:09:32

LesPaulidas,

Maybe I don't understand how the AirBrake works, but will it clamp the overall volume

coming out to the speakers, even if you add a "Screamer" to the HD500 preset?

Another way of saying what I am trying to say is does the volume stay at one level

with an attenuator?

Just curious what will happen when playing clubs and such, if you will still punch through the band mix

will with a lead by stomping a "Screamer" pedal on the HD500? As opposed to adjusting

the attenuator to get more volume.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

BMoe

by Lespaulidas on 2011-08-22 11:21:20

It "attenuates" (lowers) the volume being sent to the speaker.  It sits between the amp head and the physical speaker.  It allows you to turn up your master volume (on the amp) to drive the "real" tubes without having to have extremely high volume.

For me, with the DT50 and HD500, its nice because I can run all the SAME amp models (on HD500 - mostly PRE's) for loud live band use, AND low volume home practicing. In either situation the tubes are driven nicely and sing no matter what volume.  And the fact I use all the same patches for either scenario makes it worth it to me so I dont have to have a second set of patches to maintain just for low volume.  I also use the airbrake on other amps I own, which made them come to life in low volume scenarios.

About the "Screamer" question.  It's all relative. If your screamer raised your volume with no attenuator, and you put a attenuator in the mix, the volume will still raise when you stomp the screamer on relative to your baseline volume which the dial on the airbrake adjusts.   Get it now?

by JB1973 on 2011-08-23 10:56:51

I am getting decent tone I think through the hd500 full models  with dt50 set on full power just on enough to really kick in the speakers. Even better a hair above that but that is getting into turn it down areas. I have been curious about lowering the master on the full models (option in the amp menu) then turning up the amp, but not sure what this would be actually doing.

My other guitarist is more of a purist, prefers small tube amps so he can rev up the tubes without it being to loud. He emailed me today, we have been talking about pc based sims like amplitude and podfarm, just for kicks (he uses amplitude at home because he lives in an apartment atm) ... He basically said that in his opinion I could get as good or better sound out of amplitude than my $2000 rig and he would be happy to help me find good tones for recording but he didn't know what to do about live work. I have never heard any complaints only compliments about my tone before this so not sure what to think. Its true I would be happy with a small boutique tube amp and a nice pedal board but i like my rig for the range of tones and recording. Not to mention I can't afford to bail on my rig as I would lose my pants selling it on eBay to buy a new rig....

Anyway I am looking for a used attenuator and leaning towards the weber mass attenuator as it is based off a speaker motor rather than diodes and it should be a bit cheaper as well. Any thoughts?

by BMoe on 2011-08-23 14:21:36

Yupper, Thanks

by JB1973 on 2011-08-24 19:12:42

I am looking into finding a used attenuator. I bid on a weber mass III and didn't get it. I have been really considering buying a small tube amp (10-20 watts?) getting some boutique pedals and learning how to mic and record instead of going digital. Today I tried out a fender deluxe reverb reissue 22 watts and it was pretty dang loud there is no drive channel so drive it to starting to break up and use pedals for distortion i guess. It definitely had some character (for lack of a better word) then I am used to hearing at home.

Tonight in my 30 minutes of play time I tried running the hd500 as a effect pedal direct plug into the front of the amp and driving the amp higher as it was much quiter with no preamp model. In truth the amp had a bit of life I don't think I have found running full models. I will have to investigate this further when I have time.

by geriatric on 2011-09-13 23:56:06

My DR Z Airbrake arrived from the US (to Australia) this morning from Humbucker Music. Packaged really well. So far the sounds are great. Good investment!  I'm running a DT50 2x12.

by Lespaulidas on 2011-09-14 06:49:56

Glad you like!   I love mine.  It works so well with the DT50.  I wish they'd build these things into the amp design.

by Poguie on 2012-11-03 21:38:30

I'm gonna get one after reading your review. I live in an apartment and my Spider Valve MkII can't be cranked as the neighbours would be beating our door down. Sounds like just the job. Cheers for that.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-15 12:53:13

I got a brand new one on the way for $275 shipped.

Are we still excited about the results 1+ years later?  I'm pretty excited to get it!

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-16 05:59:19

It's here!!!!

drz.JPG

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-16 08:28:00

I am using a combo. I just got the Dr. Z.  I haven't gotten it home yet.    Is it safe to put the attenuator at the bottom of the inside of the amp (under the speaker)?  If memory serves me correctly the cord is to short to allow it to sit on top of the DT50 112.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  I can't wait to get home.

by Lespaulidas on 2013-01-16 08:30:59

You'll need a speaker cable extension.  I did anyhow.  Mine sits on top of my DT50 212 combo.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-16 08:56:40

Thanks Les!

Doesn't get too hot?

Does it get hot after a couple hours of playing or just warm?

by Lespaulidas on 2013-01-16 09:15:35

No not really that bad.. 

I used it for hours as well to silence my DT50 for silent recording via the direct out on the DT.  Just unplug the speaker out from the AirBrake, instant Silent mode with no damage done to my DT.   I'm sure others might chime in saying it will ruin the DT,  but I've used it alot this way and no issues whatsoever over a year.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-16 09:38:47

I don't think using the direct out utilizes the tube saturation.  I would guess it uses modeling including virtual mic-ing.

I'd like to know for sure.  Hmmmmmm.... anyone?

by Lespaulidas on 2013-01-16 09:42:55

Just sayin'   The DT25 has silent mode.. DT50 doesn't.  But you can now.  Whatever floats your boat.

by STPLE on 2013-01-19 11:20:46

I'm considering getting the Dr. Z air brake.  I have a Pod HD 500 and DT25 head and cab (Line6 Link).  I've been working on patches.  I haven't used the DT25 live yet (POD HD I've used live several times to a PA).  Before I get the air brake I wanted to make sure that it is a good tool to work on patches at low volumes.  I can't crank the amp with children sleeping late at night.  I don't plan to use the air brake live but I want the patches to be as accurate as possible.  It sounds like it would really help.  Is this a good tool for low volume tone/patch work??

by JimKidd on 2013-01-19 14:48:57

I have a Rivera RockCrusher which works great but it does color the tone as any attenuator will.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-21 08:31:51

Dude!  I've been using it all weekend.  I have created tones at low volumes and cranked them after the fact and they sound beautiful loud and soft.

I find the coloration of the tone minimal and preferrable to LVM and my patches I usually use unattenuated sound good at low volumes.  At this early point, I see no need to create low volume versus high volume tones.  One thing for sure....  I love my Dr. Z. AirBrake.

by JimKidd on 2013-01-21 10:13:47

I defiantly prefer my Rivera RockCrusher to LVM. It just sounds more right.

by bartpuglise on 2013-01-21 14:31:08

I've been using my Airbrake for over a year and can't say enough about how awesome it works. If you play out and want to up your game check out the Radial JDX DI Box . I use it with the Airbrake DT50 and HD500 and just about every sound guy asks me what I'm using afterwards. Sounds great and if you use In Ear's it's fuc***g fantastic!!

ROCK ON!

by STPLE on 2013-01-21 18:54:23

Cool.  I just ordered one.  Can't wait to try it out.  If one doesn't use a Radial JDX DI Box and uses the XLR out of the DT head - would the Dr. Z Air brake affect that volume at all??  I would guess not - I'll try it out but just wondering if anyone knows.  Thanks.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-22 08:05:00

WOW - I like it!!!  Is this inserted before of after the attenuator.  I am guessing before.

I'm about to pull the trigger.  Is it good for recording vs the amp's normal out?

<a target=new href=http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/images/jdx/jdx-panels-lrg.jpg" class="jive-image" src="http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/images/jdx/jdx-panels-lrg.jpg"/>

by bartpuglise on 2013-01-22 13:59:07

When I purchased it I called Radial to make sure it could be used with an attenuator and they said yes. My connections are (per Radial's recommendations)DT50 4 ohm ( I have an Avatar2x12 cab) to Amp in on Airbrake. Airbrake cab out to Amp "in" on JDX cab and out on JDX to my cab. For recording it is great you are using the Airbrake as opposed to using the DI on the DT50. There are a few videos on YouTube that you can check out. For live shows I no longer have to worry about a sound guys placement of a mic as well as using my In Ear monitors I get exactly what's coming out of my amp with no coloring from a mic. Works great!

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-23 05:59:36

That's so wierd.  I would think you would go before the Radial to keep consistent level.  HMMM

Apparently, the Radial requires some sort of feedback from the speaker.  I just think it odd that the attenuation fluxuation/variable outputs would not cause inconsistency.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-23 12:31:54

I looked up the manual and here's what it says regarding the order/chain with regards to your setup:

Q: Can I use the JDX with a load box or power attenuator?

A: Yes. The load box takes the place of a loudspeaker and provides

a load for the amp to drive.

It would seem based on this you might want to switch your setup and see how it sounds.  At least we know it won't hurt your gear.

by bartpuglise on 2013-01-23 12:45:30

Radial's reply was to try the JDX either in front or after the Airbrake. I have it after as I really didn't notice that much of a difference in my tone.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-24 06:52:12

The JBX is on it's way!

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-24 09:48:42

Do you mount the device onto the amp?  I saw the J-Clamp.  I have the 112 combo and I am trying to figure out the best way to secure it.  Or is it small enough to lay inside?

I have the AirBrake sitting on top and I would like a better solution. 

by bartpuglise on 2013-01-24 10:12:43

I have mine sitting in top my DT50 head. It's the same size as a regular pedal effect. I did see that j-clamp just forgot about ordering it though. The underside has a rubber pad so it doesn't slide around.

by PDKTDK on 2013-01-24 10:25:04

Perfect - I thought so.  Thanks Bart.  Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Last question for you Bart:  How is it on cleaner sounds?  I've read mixed reviews of less highs.  What's your thoughts and workarounds? 

Anyone:

Do you have a solution to mount or fix the AirBrake on a combo? 

by bartpuglise on 2013-01-24 13:16:33

Generally all my clean tone patches always have an EQ in the signal chain. I really dig a more shimmering type clean. I've never tried a clean without an EQ. so I can't really give you an honest answer on the JDX's performance with a true clean tone. Check yours out and let me know. If you don't like it theres always the RETURN option

Rock On!!!!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.