These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Import JTV from US
by MaestrosounD on 2011-04-07 02:13:07

I'm leaving for New York next week, where I will be staying for 13 weeks. Does anyone know if I would have to pay taxes even if I own the guitar for say 12 weeks? I live in the Netherlands.

Re: Import JTV from US
by sparkyERTW on 2011-04-07 04:44:22

Not sure about the taxes, but the one thing to keep in mind - and I've already reminded a couple fellow Canadians on the forums of this - is that your warranty won't be valid when you return home.  So if some component of the electronics decides to die 2 weeks after you get back to the Netherlands, any store that is a Line 6 service center is not going to be able to help you - at least not free of charge.  You might be comfortable taking that risk, but it's something to keep in mind.

Re: Import JTV from US
by TheRealZap on 2011-04-07 07:23:52

depends on who you are worried about paying taxes to...

if you buy it from a shop... you will certainly pay US taxes on it...

if you have an online retailer deliver it to your hotel or whatever your place is etc... you might not have to pay US taxes on it. (depends on the retailer)

however, you would certainly be required to declare that when re-entering the netherlands and they might tax you, depending on limits etc...

you could of course not declare it... but there can likely be huge fines and penalty's if you try to say you brought it with you etc...

i certainly wouldn't risk it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.