These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

New DC-3g Power Supply A Bit Pricey, IMO.
by Texxxxx on 2011-04-18 18:00:50

Geez....$50....$60 after tax and shipping...

Come on, now...this power supply is worth maybe $15-$25 at the most...certainly not 10% of all the components that go into a HD500.

These won't work on the HD's, but they are built to do the same thing ( I know, different mA and plug sizes):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=dc+power+supply

...and they are much cheaper.  I really don't think the Chinese are charging more than a few cents more to manufacture the L6 version.

There...I said it....

Re: New DC-3g Power Supply A Bit Pricey, IMO.
by phil_m on 2011-04-18 18:20:23

I imagine that the retailers will be able to sell this as well and perhaps it won't be quite as much. One thing to remember, though, is that this is a truly universal supply that comes with multiple adapters for use all over the world. When you consider what the price would be for getting different adapters and/or converters, it doesn't seem that bad.

by Texxxxx on 2011-04-18 20:02:01

phil_m wrote:

I imagine that the retailers will be able to sell this as well and perhaps it won't be quite as much. One thing to remember, though, is that this is a truly universal supply that comes with multiple adapters for use all over the world. When you consider what the price would be for getting different adapters and/or converters, it doesn't seem that bad.

Perhaps an adapter/converterless power supply for those of us that know we won't be going anywhere that we would need them.

by JB1973 on 2011-04-19 15:01:50

wow that is a bit strange price for what you get. The cord was 1/2 worthless to begin with due to the length. I was surprised not to at least see a comment that they made it longer. I ended up having to rubber band a extension cord to the power cord because it kept coming apart and has been a trip hazzard. Now its probably a fire hazzard lol.

by gunpointmetal on 2011-04-19 15:07:41

If they're not gonna offer a longer corded version, at least sell us a freakin cable extension or something. And $50 is too much for a power supply with that short of a cord, even if you can plug it in on the moon.

by tim1953 on 2011-04-19 17:24:34

It's just another example of them screwing you when ever they get the chance.

Just like when you buy a drill at Sears for $30 and you need a replacement battery and they want $27.50 for one.

Or the $50 weed wacker who's replacement battery Cost $40

They should supply the vasoline when they bend you over...........

by Texxxxx on 2011-04-19 18:28:48

tim1953 wrote:

It's just another example of them screwing you when ever they get the chance.

Just like when you buy a drill at Sears for $30 and you need a replacement battery and they want $27.50 for one.

Or the $50 weed wacker who's replacement battery Cost $40

They should supply the vasoline when they bend you over...........

If you want the vaseline, it is an option and costs more...

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-04-20 09:41:47

Guys I'm sure that if you contact Line6 for a replacement or Extra power supply they will provide one at a cheaper price without the additional jacks for use in other countries ( But I Need one to go to Colombia & Mexico )  So I'm buying one with the additional stuff

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-04-20 09:55:20

There are other power suplies that will also work make sure you read the manual and do some research, on older post there were a few posted that work and are longer and cheaper

hope this helps

by frankencat on 2011-06-22 12:01:05

How about some links?

by markbrid on 2011-06-22 13:30:02

Disclaimer:  The following has NOT been tested with any Line 6 product, and the connector/polarization may not be right.  Do NOT order this part, it is just for a price comparison.

That being said: 9VDC 2A wall switching power supply, with autoswitching line input?  Under $17 at Mouser:

---------

Clearly the Line 6 supply is a switcher, but keep in mind that in the past switchers have been frowned upon for use in critical audio circuitry (although that might have changed with newer supply designs).  It's also possible that Line 6 designed the supply filtering and unit shielding with their specific power supply in mind, and a cheaper switching supply might introduce noise into the audio.  There may be other issues as well.  The original Line 6 supply could have many advantages.

However I would not be too worried to use a good linear supply with the HD, but it will be a lot bigger/heavier than the Line 6 supply, probably more expensive, and would likely not have autoswitching input voltage.  I'd probably go with a linear supply if I had to replace mine.

Message was edited by: markbrid; removed wrong part number

by ozbadman on 2011-06-22 16:57:33

Do not use an under-rated power supply on any electrical product. The POD HD will still try to draw up to 2.5A from this 2A supply. The wiring of the power supply will not be rated above the 2A current and you could start a fire.

by markbrid on 2011-06-23 05:03:08

Whoops, my bad, just looked at the Line 6 supply; it's rated at 100-240VAC 1A 50-60Hz in, 9VDC@3A (27W) out.  This one would be more in line, a bit higher at $21:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Condor-SL-Power/CENB1030A0903B01/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtpkqKkT5w3uoo7j8gXTa77CgON2gBfOTQ%3d

Again I have NO idea if this will work, but it does represent a similar type product for pricing considerations.

FWIW, here's the data sheet for the M8H-27US08R supply (model number of the Line 6 part):

http://www.autec.com/pdf/M8H-20%2827%29%2830%29US.pdf

I suspect the Line 6 part is custom built for them from this basic product line, with a non-standard semi-locking plug.  That would explain the higher price.

by toneman2121 on 2011-06-23 06:40:31

"Again I have NO idea if this will work, but it does represent a similar type product for pricing considerations"

i don't see why it wouldn't work, electricty is electricity. as long as it's rated the same and the plug fits. thanks for the bargain hunting. if my power supply goes, i know where to get another.

by markbrid on 2011-06-23 07:11:09

toneman2121 wrote:

"Again I have NO idea if this will work, but it does represent a similar type product for pricing considerations"

i don't see why it wouldn't work, electricty is electricity. as long as it's rated the same and the plug fits. thanks for the bargain hunting. if my power supply goes, i know where to get another.

Just be advised that power supplies have different noise characteristics, and behave differently under certain conditions.  I would not at all guarantee this supply would not cause noise issues with the HD.  Also, the connector on the supply might not fit the HD.  If you do try it and it works, please let us know.

by markbrid on 2011-06-23 07:14:05

ozbadman wrote:

Do not use an under-rated power supply on any electrical product. The POD HD will still try to draw up to 2.5A from this 2A supply. The wiring of the power supply will not be rated above the 2A current and you could start a fire.

You have a point, but most switching power supplies like the one in the link are designed to tolerate continuous output short circuits with no fire, smoke or damage.  What would most likely happen if that supply was used would be under some conditions it would shut itself off, or go into an on/off oscillation.  I doubt it would cause any fire.

However there are other supplies that could get hot and cause problems, so your advice is good for all power supply types just to be sure.

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-05 15:16:47

I have to agree.

Here it is about 30 Euro....for a plain, simple power supply????

I thought that must be a mistake, so I e-mailed Thomann and asked them about it, but they said no, it is really that expensive.

Unbelievable......

by dboomer on 2011-07-05 15:57:03

"..for a plain, simple power supply????"

It is not a simple power supply.  Most governments worldwide have mandated the use of "green" power supplies that draw almost no current when plugged in but with the device not powered up.  They are much more complicated and expensive to build.

The good news is they tend to last much longer when left plugged into the wall than conventional units which have a tendency to burn out more quickly.

by PremiumJones on 2011-07-06 19:14:21

I left my power supply at the drummers house last week. I found a 9V DC adapter that had the right plug, but only supplied 800mA.

It worked for about 30 minutes, then just died. No fire, not even a spark or some smoke...

I then did surgery on a PS2 Slim power supply (rated for 8.5V DC and up to 4.65A, my meter says its putting out more like 8.75V) to attach the plug from the now-dead 9V PSU, and that worked great for several days. Didnt even get hot.

by frankencat on 2011-07-08 12:33:54

by aishwaryakg on 2012-05-29 04:49:06

The 27W from mouser has center pin positive... but i rewired it and it works absolutely fine.

by toneman2121 on 2012-05-29 05:18:50

that's good news but i went to the site and i  couldn't find it. can you give directions?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.