These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Which cable connection from HD500 Pod to Amp?
by MarcelV91 on 2011-04-19 07:29:13

Hi everybody,

After the helpful answers on my previous questions i decided to buy the Line 6 Pod HD500. So i am the proud owner of the HD500 now. It will take some time for me to understand how everything works, but i got one important question and just cannot find the answer i`m searching for. The question is:

Which cable connection to my amp should i use? Because i have read something about 'the 4 cable connection' and other things, but i`m getting little bit confused now. I used to work with just one cable in and one out, but because of the 'unbalanced left and right' outputs on the pod i assume that i have to use 2 cables out. I dont know much about stereo or mono sounds, etc, so this must me a 'nooby' question, but i just dont know what to do best.

Btw, i want to plug my Pod into the Aux In on my amp directly. But the outputs on the Pod are left and right (except headphone out, should i use headphone out?), do i have to merge the left and right with something (the opposite of a splitter:)?)

I know that some effects on the Pod make use of stereo sound (left to right ping pong sounds etc), so i understand that there is an left and right out, but how do i get both left and right into my amp? And if i want to plug my pod into my amp, and catch the sound from my amp with an headphone on my amps 'headphone out', is there a possiblity that i still have stereo sound after its gone through the 'aux in'?

I hope someone can give me some help.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Marcel

Re: Which cable connection from HD500 Pod to Amp?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-04-19 10:27:57

Marcel

There are a number of ways you can connect your guitar to your POD HD500 and your amp, but as you have just taken delivery of your HD500 and you already have an amp, I would probably try and keep it simple to start with.

I would do it like this to start:

Guitar > HD500 input

HD500 left 1/4" output (or right 1/4" output but not both) to your amp's FX Return or Power Amp in

Set the HD500 output mode to Combo Pwr Amp if using a combo amplifier or Stack Pwr Amp mode if using a head and 4x12.

If feeding the Aux input on your amp, I would treat this initially as if it were the same as the guitar input on the amp and set the AMP/LINE switch on the top of the HD500 to AMP (Auxiliary inputs might make use of a pre-amp circuit in the amp or they might be a direct connection to the power amp stage - the use of the word Auxiliary doesn't always make this clear depending on the amp make and model).  If it's too quiet, you can switch to LINE.

If you go into a Power Amp In socket, then the AMP/LINE switch needs to be set to LINE.

You may then want to make some choices as to either use FULL amp models and speaker CAB emulation or to use PRE amp models and maybe no CAB emulation in your HD500 patches.  Personally when using my HD500 direct into the power amp section of a standard guitar amp or a DT50, I tend to favour PRE amp models and no cab modelling, preferring to leave the speaker cabinet sound to a real speaker cab (mostly) if playing the amp at gig levels, but with FULL amp models and cab emulation turned on if playing at quieter levels

Here comes the stuck record (but it's true) - there are no hard and fast rules; trust your ears.

The HD500 is capable of stereo operation and some FX are full stereo whilst others are mono.  If you use a single 1/4" output from the HD500 (either left or right) the output will be summed to mono, so you have no need to worry that anything will be missed.

Nick

by MarcelV91 on 2011-04-20 01:15:10

Thanks Nick!

Youre answer helped me a lot.

The aux in on my amp doesn`t make use of the pre-amp section, so i suggest i should use the line out in stead of amp out setting. And do i understand it correctly if in my case the aux in is the same as power amp in? Because I don`t have a power amp in, only guitar-in and aux-in, in which aux-in skips the pre amp section and only uses the power amp and cabinet I guess. (The amp I use a Roland Cube 20x, if that makes any sense).

nickmattocks wrote:

You may then want to make some choices as to either use FULL amp models and speaker CAB emulation or to use PRE amp models and maybe no CAB emulation in your HD500 patches.

How does this work in my patches? How can i change those settings (about the use of Cab and Pre amp emulation) for my amp?

nickmattocks wrote:

Here comes the stuck record (but it's true) - there are no hard and fast rules; trust your ears.

The HD500 is capable of stereo operation and some FX are full stereo whilst others are mono.  If you use a single 1/4" output from the HD500 (either left or right) the output will be summed to mono, so you have no need to worry that anything will be missed.

Good to hear that i just can use one of the 1/4" outputs, because i indeed was afraid about missing things when using stereo effects. And yes, i will just test a lot with the settings to make it sounds best for me.

And last, i got just one more stupid question.., but just can`t find it: how can i assign an particular patch to one of my footswitches (fs1-fs8)? For example , if i want one patch with some reverb and a cool amp on patch1 and only a delay on another patch, how can i set this on my pod? (I tried to find it in the manuals, but except reading that it was possible i didn`t find how to set this on the Pod)

Thanks again!

Marcel

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-04-20 02:41:24

MarcelV91 wrote:

Thanks Nick!

Youre answer helped me a lot.

The aux in on my amp doesn`t make use of the pre-amp section, so i suggest i should use the line out in stead of amp out setting. And do i understand it correctly if in my case the aux in is the same as power amp in? Because I don`t have a power amp in, only guitar-in and aux-in, in which aux-in skips the pre amp section and only uses the power amp and cabinet I guess. (The amp I use a Roland Cube 20x, if that makes any sense).

nickmattocks wrote:

You may then want to make some choices as to either use FULL amp models and speaker CAB emulation or to use PRE amp models and maybe no CAB emulation in your HD500 patches.

How does this work in my patches? How can i change those settings (about the use of Cab and Pre amp emulation) for my amp?

You simply edit the settings for the Amp model you've chosen by navigating to the amp in your signal chain and using the various editing controls such as the four encoders under the LCD or you can connect you HD500 to your computer and edit the settings using HD500 Edit software.  Amp model type and Cab emulation is part of the Amp block.  HD500 Output mode is a global setting and is on the System Settings pages at Page 4 - hold down View to get to the System Settings pages and then use the L&R Nav Pad buttons to scroll through the 9 pages.

nickmattocks wrote:

Good to hear that i just can use one of the 1/4" outputs, because i indeed was afraid about missing things when using stereo effects. And yes, i will just test a lot with the settings to make it sounds best for me.

And last, i got just one more stupid question.., but just can`t find it: how can i assign an particular patch to one of my footswitches (fs1-fs8)? For example , if i want one patch with some reverb and a cool amp on patch1 and only a delay on another patch, how can i set this on my pod? (I tried to find it in the manuals, but except reading that it was possible i didn`t find how to set this on the Pod)

The foot switches work in either 1-4 and 5-8 mode (FS 5-8) or in 1-4 and ABCD  mode (ABCD) you change this in the System Setup pages (same procedure as before)  and the foot switch mode is set on page 1 using encoder #1.  Using the HD500 in ABCD mode will assign the switches 5-8 to preset (patch) selection whilst in FS 5-8 mode all eight foot switches can be assigned to switching FX on and off within individual presets.  So if you want a preset featuring a Screamer, Vetta Wah, Digital Delay and Plate Reverb plus a Brit J-800 amp model, you'd create a preset with all those elements in it and with the various FX turned on or off before you save the preset.  You could save this preset in Slot 1A, and then create another different preset with different FX and amp model(s) which you'd save possibly in Slot 1B

Thanks again!

Marcel

Nick

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.