These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Why does POD HD series have fewer amp models than previous PODs?
by nickedm on 2011-04-19 16:27:02

I was considering upgrading to a POD HD then notice dthat they have a lot fewer amp models than the previous PODs - am I missing somewthing or is there reason for this? 

Nick

Re: Why does POD HD series have fewer amp models than previous PODs?
by guitars69 on 2011-04-19 16:37:28

We of course can't say for sure since we don't work for Line6, but in general, they've started from scratch with a new process to model the amps.  So at this point they've only completed 16 amps.  They're adding a few more with the next firmware, and knowing Line6 that will continue to occur as the product matures.

That said, you don't REALLY need the over 70 amps they used to give you.  I wouldn't mind a few more for certain purposes but we're also getting the ability to edit the bias, sag and Master Volume on the amps too.  So, you can change the amps and how they work.

by phil_m on 2011-04-19 16:37:30

The amp modeling is completely new, and from what I understand the process that they use to do the new modeling is quite a bit more time and labor intensive than their previous process. I would be surprised if there weren't new models added in the way of model packs and/or upgrades in the future. Remember, when the PODxt was first released there were only 32 amp models. By the end of it's run, that number had more than doubled.

by mabbaticchio on 2011-04-19 16:56:21

I used to have an XT bean with all the model packs and I used less than 10 .. let alone 16.... I'd rather have less reallly good ones that cover all the styles....  The only ones I do kinda miss a little are the Roland jazz clean and the Soldano SLO..... but the improved JM 800 more than makes up for that loss.  Plus ... if you are going to be using these things live....  you really don't want to be going nuts using different amp models... Your bandmates will hate you and so will the sound guy.

by guitars69 on 2011-04-19 17:07:47

Agreed!

I miss the 5150 and some metal amps but I only used a couple.  I guess the issue is, everybody's "couple tones" may be different so have 70 amps is potentially important so they can find THEIR few they want.

I'm excited to play with the sag and bias stuff though.  Plus, they seem to be modelling other channels of the existing amps in the update... so maybe we'll be able to replace an entire multi channel amp and all it's possible options with a pod some day.

by FrozenOzone on 2011-04-19 18:58:22

Nick,

Have you watched any of the line 6 promotional videos?  They explain the HD line in detail.

Here is one.  There is a video about half way down the page and it talks about the HD modeling.

http://line6.com/podhd/hdmodels.html

by mdme_sadie on 2011-04-20 00:16:15

I'd rather have any 1 hd amp over all 60+ older line6 amps.  There's just no comparison.

The reason there are fewer is because they're redoing it all from scratch. There aren't any of the old models in the HD (thank goodness because in tbh they were crap), the new models are vastly superior in tone and feel, but it's going to take time for them to build up the collection again back to previous numbers.

RE: Why does POD HD series have fewer amp models than previous PODs?
by laplayantonio on 2011-04-22 04:56:58

hello

the answer(s) above is correct: If all of your questions have been answered please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers, and close out the thread as “answered” if your situation has been resolved. Thanks!

by lowyaw on 2011-04-22 05:10:22

i believe there is quite a chance they'll release Model packs in the future; as for the moment being, it's good that they concentrate on debugging and fine tuning the firmware.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-08 03:11:02

I miss the Wide panel Tweed Deluxe ( in my opinion Big ommission ) and the SLP Jumped Channel Plexi. I also cannot understand why effects like Rotary and Univibe have been put in with Distortions and Overdrives which somewhat limits what you can achieve. very annoying! Fuzz pedal not as well modelled as previous versions. Yes I am a Hendrix fan !

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-06-08 04:57:08

Whitie60 wrote:

I also cannot understand why effects like Rotary and Univibe have been put in with Distortions and Overdrives which somewhat limits what you can achieve. very annoying!

That is why there is an HD 500 and Bean that can put them where you like. The 300 and 400 are cheaper because they are fixed architecture, but that also simplifies things for some players. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-08 07:58:45

That may as be but why then are Line 6 only pandering to the requirements of those who spend Big Bucks to get that functionality. They never have done so before. To my mind mixing up distortions with Time based effects is completely wrong ethos and goes against everything they have done in the past with All Pods and with PodFarm. Its just not done. It has just got in the way this time. To this extent Line 6 appears to isolating its customers and supporters into the haves and have nots. in the past Line 6 never did this to this extent with other devices, yes there were some add on issues but you still retained a major degree of functionality in the unit that you purchased. This Functionality was because there was a clear separation between the distortions /overdrives and the time based effects etc. Pod HD 300 & 400 just seem muddled to me. I have to question why I cannot use a Fuzz pedal with Rotary effect or Univibe as I have done so in the past with all products ( entry grade or above). This loss in functionality seems  to me to be a step backwards or a way to alienate previously satisfied customers. I hope Line 6 are not going the way of IK Amplitube who now seem to be getting in a poistion where every little effect  & nuiance is exploited to get more & more money from the consumer.  Line 6 would do well to remember that in the past they have satisfied ther customers by giving them a whole package that had good sonic possibilities even if these were the basic packages to which the consumer could later add to. There does not seem to be any plans to expand the functionality of the HD series beyond what it already is and probably is always going to be! HD300 and 400 users may always be left with this level of dissatisfaction. I sometimes go back to Podfarm still to get the tones and effect chains that are no possible on my HD.

by mabbaticchio on 2011-06-08 08:09:10

Whitie60 wrote:

To my mind mixing up distortions with Time based effects is completely wrong ethos and goes against everything they have done in the past with All Pods and with PodFarm. Its just not done.

I agree that it should have been common sense that one would want to run a vibe and fuzz simultaneously....  My biggest beef is what is a spring reverb doing in FX1 list?   That seems to make no sense whatsoever....  I gues you can throw a real fuzz pedal in front...  but what would be the point of having a modeler if you still have to have a front of amp pedal board?

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-06-08 08:34:29

Whitie60 wrote:

There does not seem to be any plans to expand the functionality of the HD series beyond what it already is and probably is always going to be!

Source?

by ozbadman on 2011-06-08 08:34:36

mabbaticchio wrote

My biggest beef is what is a spring reverb doing in FX1 list?   That seems to make no sense whatsoever....  I gues you can throw a real fuzz pedal in front...  but what would be the point of having a modeler if you still have to have a front of amp pedal board?

It's because the Spring Reverb is quite DSP intensive compared to the other reverbs, so they had to put it in FX1 to balance the DSP load.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-06-08 08:39:46

mabbaticchio wrote:

My biggest beef is what is a spring reverb doing in FX1 list?   That seems to make no sense whatsoever....  I gues you can throw a real fuzz pedal in front... 

I was on the beta squad for the HD300. I asked the same thing. Here's the deal: The Spring reverb cannot live in the reverb slot as it's too DSP hungry compared to the other reverbs. So rather than leave it out entirely they put it in a slot where it fitted. You can of course put this slot post and use the drive from the amp for distortion.

In some ways it would have been better if Line 6 had left it out of the HD300/400, it just seems to irritate people.

by gregr on 2011-06-08 10:17:59

Mr_Arkadin wrote:

Whitie60 wrote:

There does not seem to be any plans to expand the functionality of the HD series beyond what it already is and probably is always going to be!

Source?

He said "seem," though I think (and want to believe!) that it is too soon to tell.  Line 6 has left some pretty gaping holes in the way of pristine clean and smooth, singing high-gain soloing.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-06-08 10:27:24

gregr wrote:

He said "seem," though I think (and want to believe!) that it is too soon to tell.

And I would say that on current track record (new update adding sag, bias etc. as requested by some users) it 'seems' more likely that there will be further updates. I just don't see what criteria it can 'seem' that Line 6 have halted development on a line less than a year old. They've not done it in the past and so far we have had a couple of updates that added amps and features.

by gunpointmetal on 2011-06-08 10:29:24

I could be wrong, but before you either got a rack, a desktop bean, or one floor model option (exlcuding floor pod plus). So the fact that there are three different levels of floor modeler available in the HD line means they ARE NOT pandering to any particular crowd, but trying to introduce usefull hardware at several price points. If the functionality of the 300/400 is not where you want it, you should have bought a 500, simple as that.

by gregr on 2011-06-08 10:36:54

Mr_Arkadin wrote:

added amps

I get little confidence from their adding alternate modes of the same models and re-releasing an "original" model which was nothing more than an initial botched attempt at the Bogner Ubershall.

...but again, it is too soon to tell.

by jasonbogen on 2011-06-08 12:02:32

How about their past track record of expanding the models in their POD's.  Look at the XT.  For those of us who have been Line 6 customers since the first POD, we have no reason to think that they wouldn't keep expanding.  Of course, until there is something delivered or at least announced, it is too early to tell, but there is no reason to lack confidence that more will be coming based on past POD products.

by gregr on 2011-06-08 12:11:15

Saying that the recent addition of "new" amp models doesn't inpire confidence is not the same thing as saying that there is nothing that inspires confidence.

BTW and FWIW, I easily belong in your category of "those of us".

by litesnsirens on 2011-06-08 13:11:05

Well I can't expect to buy a Macbook and then expect that someday Apple will updgrade it to a Macbook Pro for free.  It think as far as functionality goes it may very well be true that there won't be any firmware updates that will bring the HD300/400 to the same functionality of an HD500.  I think there is a bit of responisbility on the buyer to research his purchases.  I don't think Line 6 was keeping any of this a secret.  Not to mention a lot of stores offer 30 to 60 day trial periods granted many don't.  I'm just saying there are options out there to ensure that you are satisfied with a product, most of it falls on the buyer.  I'm not trying to be harsh, the fact is I have made my own share of purchases that I later regretted, we probably all have.  I knew without doing a whole lot of research that I was going to want to have as much flexibility as I could get.  I took a 400 home to try out so that I could audition the models and see if they would meet my needs but I knew within an hour that I wanted an HD, I also knew that the 400 wasn't going to do it for me.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-09 03:56:59

I didn't say that I regretted my purchase. The HD series has many plus points over its predecessors mainly in the sound quality. Also have to say the  separation of master Volume from Drive has definately improved matters particularly with the JCM800 models and the Messa Boogie Dual Rectififer model as well. I just think things get a bit confused where before they were clearer & consequently more useful. I have to agree about the Spring Reverb issue as well -it should be a Reverb and not a distortion it just prevents you from making a coherent chain of effects for example if you want to drive a Fender Deluxe into overdrive you need an Overdrive or TS and then to add some period correctness you would want the Spring this sort of thing is not possible In the HD300 it may be in the 400 I dont know. If you want to emulate Hendrix effects as far as you can with a JCM800 this also is not possible for reasons i have mentioned  earlier. It just seems a bit limited whereas previous packages sold to us were not.

Line 6 introduced the range and have mentioned the limited AMps before in press release and this is my 'source'. They stated that the AMP menus were limited because they had no space left in the Architecture  because of the detail with which these AMPs were modelled. I therefore have to assume that there is not much room for improvement or development. have to say i was a bit surprised when they added the additional parameters of SAG, HUM, Master Volume etc but it was a inspired move and has been a major improvement in Tone.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-09 04:10:20

Mr Arkadin wrote

I was on the beta squad for the HD300. I asked the same thing. Here's the deal: The Spring reverb cannot live in the reverb slot as it's too DSP hungry compared to the other reverbs. So rather than leave it out entirely they put it in a slot where it fitted. You can of course put this slot post and use the drive from the amp for distortion.

In some ways it would have been better if Line 6 had left it out of the HD300/400, it just seems to irritate people.

I have to ask how do you Drive a Fender Deluxe Reverb - those amps were designed to have a Clean/ish tone even at high  to Max volume . You need to use some form of distortion. A better choice would have been to include the previously used Tweed Deluxe ( Wide Panel Fender Deluxe as used on Pod Xt) at least you can have some decent overdrive from that Amp model from cranking up the gain/drive and that means you dont need to use a Distortion/Overdrive or Tube Drive fx like you need to with the Fenders included in the HD series. Again some thinking in HD's is ascew. I personally dont like the Clean Fender Amps and have no call for them at all . This brings me to say that there is too much repetition in the clean Amp stake on the HD range if I want a clean Fender sound i would more than likley go to the Bassman anyway and use that without fx. This issue effects all Pod HD ranges and consumers despite how much you have paid for the privilege of getting a good fx chain.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-09 04:15:13

In Reply to Mr Arkadin who asked what my Source was

Line 6 introduced the range and have mentioned the limited AMps before in press release and this is my 'source'. They stated that the AMP menus were limited because they had no space left in the Architecture  because of the detail with which these AMPs were modelled. I therefore have to assume that there is not much room for improvement or development. have to say i was a bit surprised when they added the additional parameters of SAG, HUM, Master Volume etc but it was a inspired move and has been a major improvement in Tone.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-06-09 04:46:32

Whitie60 wrote:

In Reply to Mr Arkadin who asked what my Source was

So your source is press releases? Well I would expect a bit better than that before saying Line 6 are going to do nothing with the HD series. I am a beta tester and I have no idea what they are up to, so I doubt you have a better idea than me unless you actually worked for Line 6. They do no divulge anything until it's somewhere near ready. And you should never assume anything in life - dangerous philosophy generally. Did you assume the sag, bias etc. wouldn't be added? Then they were.

As to the whole Spring thing, I was suggesting a workaround: I wasn't saying it was perfect (I thought it an odd choice too), just saying if you put it Post then at least it's useable for some amps - and no I'm no great Fender user. As I said think of it as a bonus effect because the other option would have been to miss it out completely. One suggestion I made to Line 6 was make a Spring Lite version that wasn't as detailed but could sit in the reverb slot. I don't know whether this is possible or not.

If having Spring reverb and distortion boxes is that important to one's sound (not you specifically) then you have to get the HD500, there's no two ways about it. Yes the 300/400 will always have a simpler architecture and there will be combinations you can't create, that's the way they are designed, otherwise they would just be 500s in different sized pedals: not much point in that.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-09 05:46:47

No problem - yes I see your logic and it is one way round the issue as regards the Spring Reverb thing. However I have to say that i was  iniitially attracted to the Line 6 range mainly because i did not wish to purchase loads of hardware such as extra pedals because a model would suffice , was more convienient , easier to set up, less wire trailing about on the floor etc.

As to the Source matter .These were the words of Line 6 and the development team. I watched the videos about how Hd was developed t and have noted the comments. This is what Line 6 themselves ( or their representatives) said about it and what explanation they gave as to why there were fewer Amp Models on the HD than on previous products. I am inclined to listen  before deciding to purchase the product. Thats what Line 6 said about their product so i presumed it to be true . I dont know how true it is but thats what they said. I decided to accept this as an explanation since i am not an Engineer or Technology speciialist/developer myself. I chose to accept that as an explanation because to a great extent i do believe that Line 6 as a product developer has a great deal of integrity and I have used there products before without regret.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-06-09 05:56:57

Whitie60 wrote:

As to the Source matter .These were the words of Line 6 and the development team. I watched the videos about how Hd was developed t and have noted the comments. This is what Line 6 themselves ( or their representatives) said about it and what explanation they gave as to why there were fewer Amp Models on the HD than on previous products. I am inclined to listen  before deciding to purchase the product. Thats what Line 6 said about their product so i presumed it to be true .

Fair enough. I don't even disagree with you on the Spring thing or the 300/400s architecture re: development. I feel the 300/400 architecture almost certainly won't change - but this is not the same as there'll be no further development, improvements etc. which is what I initially understood from your statement. I think we will see extras - most likely on the 500, but some of that will hopefully trickle own to the 300/400. I mean they have already added some new amps so we're already over the initial 16.

It sounds like you should really trade up to the 500 if you want to avoid using extra pedals.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-09 06:03:00

No it did not keep anything secret as far as functionality/ versatility was described as being less in each model descending from the 500. It gave listed effects but it did not explain where it was going to put them. this is whats so annoying - it is the logic used to place the effects. This is fundamently what I am questioning. For example when it says of POd HD 300 you are going to be able to use a Univibe or Rotary i would expect that you could use it /them with one of the distortions that they also quote in the list of available fx. This is not the case because Line 6 HD developers have decided to do something they have never done before and mix up the distortions with the Time based effects so that in some instances you cannot use these together. This information is not readily to hand in the product descriptions it just gioves you a list of what you have available to use. This is misleading because you expect a degree of logic that separates the fx into useful categories which is what they have always done before. This is what undermines the functionality of these units.(HD500 excepted of course). To look for this information outside of the basic promotional info is too time consuming for most people myself included. however said that I have just bought a download of PodFarm 2.5 and found that I did alot more checking out of the product than i did with the HD300. I even went as far as downloading the manual and reading through it for info before i decided to purchase. i would probably not have done this before but my recent experiences and some dissappointment with the HD300 has led me to spend greater amounts of time researching the suitability of the Line 6 product before i decided to buy. I would now recommend this strategy.

by silverhead on 2011-06-09 06:20:04

Whitie60 wrote:

.... This information is not readily to hand in the product descriptions ...

It's all available in the product manuals which anyone can download anytime.

by Whitie60 on 2011-06-09 08:13:51

As I explained I would now advise this as a strategy. What I was saying it is not clear in the basic promotional stuff and brief product description you get on the Line 6 Site that most normal citizens would use. How many other products that you buy do you actually read the whole manual first before buying it. Not many I suspect thats because its normally very clear what it does. Yes it is in manuals no dispute! I dont think I would have understood it anyway unless I had owned a Pod product before the HD.But perhaps thats where the problem lies being too familar with what has gone before maybe I was expecting that the HD would use the same method to lay out its fx into separate and dinstinct sections but this has not been the case in the HD.

by gregr on 2011-06-09 10:04:11

Mr_Arkadin wrote:

I mean they have already added some new amps so we're already over the initial 16.

In the context of the argument that new models may require resources that aren't available, calling alternate versions of already existing models "new" is a bit of a stretch.

by silverhead on 2011-06-09 10:37:55

Whitie60 wrote:

.... How many other products that you buy do you actually read the whole manual first before buying it. ..

Actually, I've learned to do this with all electronic products worth more than a few bucks, especially musical equipment. Perhaps that does make me abnormal. I think high-level promotional material on a manufacturer's website is, by definition, vague and lacking in specifics. The devil is in the details, and that's what the manual provides.

I recently decided not to buy a set of electronic drums, which the salesperson assured me had dual zone trigger pads for the snare and cymbals, and would send midi data for controlling VST plugins. The price was great for a set with those features. Neither question was directly answered in the maufacturer's promotional material on their website, which the salesperson and I looked at together. I then downloaded and read the manual right in the store - and drew the sales person's attention to the relevant info before I walked out. I only say this to illustrate the point that promotional material is too high level to rely on, and in general salespeople in retail musical equipment stores don't know the details of the equipment they are selling. It's up to the purchaser to do their own research.

I highly recommend reading the manuals in advance (and I'm somewhat appalled at the number of questions on this forum ny novice users that are immediately and clearly answered in the manuals). I'm glad you would now advise this as a strategy.

by Whitie60 on 2011-11-18 05:05:34

Not quite that simple my friend. HD 500 still suffers the same as all the other HD series in that the AMP selection is flawed. I have another discussion going on about this topic where I have actually stuck my neck out to say that in some respects even Podfarm2 is better than HD. Going into this further i am glad I only paid out enough to get the slightly Inferior HD300 as the HD500 would not have suited my needs or met my requirements either. It just dont have the AMP models i want except a few such as the Bassman, the JCM800, the Mesa, the Uber & the VOX's both. All the others to my mind are a weird choice and i have been urgeing L6 to review and include a better selection including the Wide Panel 'Dirty ' Fender, more up to date Marshalls such as the Silver Jubilee and older classic Marshalls such as the Jumped Lead SLP 'Plexi' , Matchless Chieftain, Dumble OD Special amongst others. So my friend I am not the poor relation after all in that I have all the Amps you have in HD500 but you my friend seem to have convinced/deluded yourself or let yourself be deluded that you are in your particular Shang- ri- la with your HD500. My opinion is that I am happy that I saved money and i am not particularly, well not at , interested in the HD500 until some point in time hopefully when they get a really decent selection of AMP Models into it.

by kdog on 2011-11-18 10:07:47

mabbaticchio wrote:

I used to have an XT bean with all the model packs and I used less than 10 .. let alone 16.... I'd rather have less reallly good ones that cover all the styles....  The only ones I do kinda miss a little are the Roland jazz clean and the Soldano SLO..... but the improved JM 800 more than makes up for that loss.  Plus ... if you are going to be using these things live....  you really don't want to be going nuts using different amp models... Your bandmates will hate you and so will the sound guy.

Everyone always trots this stupid apologist argument out every time the lack of selection in a unit comes out but it's BS. I have been into modeling since the original POD and the truth is no matter what product you are talking about you will find one or two standout models in it that everyone loves but if you ask a couple hundred users to name their five most useful models, at some point nearly every single model in the device will be named.

Sure YOU may only use 5 models but I may use 7 or 8 and they may be a completely different. So, the prdocut NEEDS more models than just the one or two YOU like since it is being designed for the general market. So, while, quality is great, if you are going to be a "cover all the bases" product like these units are trying to be, more amp models are better than fewer. Sorry.

For example: the HD model selection completely sucks for vintage high gain tones, whereas the XT/X3 covered it in spades because it actually had a decent selection of models and it is hardly much better at the true high end of gain spectrum.

The HD is an incredibly weak product as a stand alone unit compared to where the 2 and XT were on the technology curve. L6 completely dropped the ball on so many potential things that could have made it perform at an entirely new level. It's an incredibly disappointing unit and the 1.4 firmware update reduces my hope that they are ever going to get it together. IMHO.

by phil_m on 2011-11-18 10:15:16

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I find virtually everything on the HD series easier to use and more flexible than the XT/X3. I think it's easier to get a good amp tone out of the HD, and the effects, well, let's just say the HD pretty much kills the XT in this department.

I can understand the whole high gain thing, really. But to call the HD incredibly weak compared to the XT, well, I just think it's wrong.

by Whitie60 on 2011-11-22 08:58:27

I have to agree with this statement. The models in the HD are lacking. i am glad I only got a 300 and did not pay to get a 500 as I would have had the same level of dissapointment that I already have. Yeah the sound is great and improved but th3e AMP selection SUCKS!

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-22 09:21:36

some of us like quality over quantity...

i suspect that eventually more amps will be available... (just like the XT)

then we will have both...

perhaps you bought the wrong product for your needs...

not sure why any of this amounts to anything more than apathy on these forums...

i guess you ought to think things through a bit more next time....

by jimsreynolds on 2011-11-22 14:25:12

Disagree.

I would not have considered a Pod before the HD.  I am far more interested in live performance and the previous PODs just didn't sound real enough to me in that context.

I don't need 100 weak models.  I want a handful that actually sound and respond like amps.   The HD crossed that border between toy and tool for me.  It ain't perfect but then neither am I.  There is always room for more good quality amps - but if resources on the units are at a premium then I will opt a small number of good models anyday.

by Whitie60 on 2011-11-23 13:51:21

I agree in part but what I am saying is that the amps selected do not represent the best choice available to Line 6. To include Supro, PHd and DoctorZ & to a lesser extent the Hiwatt in preference to some considerably better vintage amps is just plain weird. It needs better selction of vintage amps. The Gibtone is good but its not the best they could have had. The modern sound of a Marshall after the JCM800 is not there either nor is Marshall ultra Vintage tone represented except by the Park which had a different set of valves to the true Vintage Marshalls.  HD500 was not for me unless they can get the amp selection sorted to be more representative. I currently find it too be quircky.

by phil_m on 2011-11-23 14:03:34

Dr. Z is a pretty mainstream amp manufacturer. I mean they have them in a Toyota Prius commercial now... Can't get much more mainstream than that...

by litesnsirens on 2011-11-23 14:59:38

Isn't the PHd the name they use for the Dr.Z model?? Personally I think it's one of the best models in the whole bunch.  I think it's pointless to argue about all this, we all have different playing styles and needs. They offered what they offered, all the info was and still is clearly laid out on the website as to what amps are included and that they started from scratch so that they could get better detail and ultimately a more realistic playing experience. IMO they accomplished that, prior to playing the HD500 I had never played a modeler that I liked, I'm totally sold on the HD500.  I don't recall reading anything on the site that even suggested that they were going to offer more models although the fact that they have done this with the predecessors has everyone hopeful. I think it's safe to say that those of us who researched the HD500 prior to buying and had an idea of what the amps were that were included sounded like would be happy with the purchase.  Prior to moving to the modelling, I was spending 4X as much on a single tube amp that I relied on for everything, so this is a luxury to me.  I know other guys that would cart around a Marshall DSL and a Fender Twin to cover off what they needed.  Despite my own personal satisfaction with the product,  I honestly hope they will bring out some models that will meet everyone else's needs, I don't like to see anyone left out of the mix with a product this good. 

by silverhead on 2011-11-23 15:57:42

litesnsirens wrote:

..... I think it's pointless to argue about all this, we all have different playing styles and needs. They offered what they offered, all the info was and still is clearly laid out on the website as to what amps are included ..

+1

Line 6 could have dozens more amps in there, and a thread requesting more and different models would still be started up again..........

by toneman2121 on 2011-11-23 16:04:25

+1+1 couldn't have said it better.

by Colin2113 on 2012-03-01 22:02:04

Quality over quantity. If you want more amps, just use POD Farm.

by sidsimo on 2013-03-18 15:56:53

As a POD Version 1 owner. It took me some time to figure out how to coax the sounds I wanted out of the unit. Front panel editing was difficult at best, The Editing software that came with POD 1, was a little buggy as well, but it eventually helped me to "see" and exploit the possiblities. I A/B'd my own Matchless Cheiftain with the 2.0 Version. I believe that I got it down pretty good, although it took a while. I use it live with wonderful(not perfect) results. I still do..... AND I get complimented often on my tone from other musicians.

Guitarists are quite curious as to how I managed to do this. Even turned heads of the hardcore Tube amp snobs and techno phobes.

IMO...XT was a big disappointment...I complained, many times what did you guys do? A: Oh Well we made it better....really? gone were the Dumble models and some others to make room for like 10 variations of Marshall amps. If you can appreciate the sound of a Dumble amp, then you'll know it's nearly impossible to get your hands on one. I could go on...

X3 I totally skipped on good advice from someone in the know. It's essentially a faster XT. woop woop.

Now I finally bit again and bought an HD desktop and HD500. After the initial upgrade, I called support to see what might be out on the horizon

for the HD line. I was told it's going to be an evolving platform. that was about a year ago....not peep since. Yes there are some decent sounds

there. They stripped most of my ESSENTIAL models and refuse to give me any more info regarding upgrade paths.

I've been trying to evolve past the 2.0 because some of the newer features would be and could be very useful to me. But If Im doing a small gig, it's the POD 2.0.

The XT live is used only the digital input for my L6 Variax acoustic . fairly clean preamp and EQ into the mixer. Never even tried to use an XT amp model live.

they're just not that good.

So I use the POD 2.0....it's really a good unit. The XT? I can only use the Acoustic guitar(vax) clean, no amp models sound good to my ear, I can hear digital noise in the XT. Very annoying......

The Pod HD..??  Well it's now March 2013 and unless R and D gets moving PDQ, theHD's AND a few XT's that I own are going away.

Just my .02

Sid

by bjnette on 2013-03-19 01:34:32

Personnally, I am happy with the Amp modelling and can get a good tone or two from any of the Amps cab and mic combos.

Sure more would be great but to me the area I'd like to see improved is the FX. Some are good but as it has been put before; fewer better quality is better than a bunch of mediocre ones. This would have a crippling  effect on the opposition.

What might be the case for the amount of Amp compared to very earlier PODs is the available storage memory.

by sidsimo on 2013-03-19 21:40:48

I cannot disagree with the the opinion that some of the new models are very good. I haven't tried the POD HD as a front to a power amp/spkr combination. Perhaps that will be a pleasant surprise. But I mostly use the Pod direct to a Mixer/FOH. I might also feed it into a Keyboard amp or other clean source like a

Powered Moniter aimed back at me if I need more stage Vol.

I can say this, If L6 used up valuable R and D time to make spaceship noises and just goofy, non usable "funny sounding" stuff,(ie.HD stoner banks)

I have to maintain, that it was a mistake.

I would have preferred they use resources to produce more of the popular and desirable amp ( I want my Cheiftain back! ) models that are hard to get than so many stomp box sounds most ppl do not use. I haven't decided that some stomps are even accurate representations.

I don't need 12 variations of a Marshall,(like the XT model) but there are some really really cool amps out there. I know that L6 knows it too. I think it's high time they bring the HD potential to the next level.

I've been patient...now I'm not so patient anymore. My worst fear is that this HD platform will be supplanted by the "NEXT BEST" product platform. The lack of upgrades and avalability makes me a little worried that maybe they've already decided on the platform's end of life.

I'm still using my 2.0 and it's still holding it's own. I do see that they still have it and the Floor pod Plus(basicaly a 2.0) in their product line, while some others have been moved out. Still goin strong after 3 generations of upgrades. OK enough of the rants....thanks to anyone who suffered through...

Would love to hear some HD upgrade news soon.

by StephenSLR on 2013-03-20 15:23:40

I guess you can't please everyone, perhaps Line6 should assign a certain amount of memory for amps and effects into the unit, then you hook the rig up online and download the ones you want to specifically use, the same way we d/l the patches from Customtone.

s

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.